PDA

View Full Version : Help making a smart decision please

Dave Dionne
08-18-2005, 6:31 PM
Hi All

OK here is the dilemma
I few weeks back I had posted about wanting to buy a performax 22-44 and a dust collector due to circumstances beyond my control I have yet to purchase anything.

Now I am trying to decide if this is a wise way to go for me, I don't know if I should stick to that plan OR sell my present saw an older RYOBI BT3000 with extended rails and a few other add ons and get a dust collector and a JET exacta saw and if possible sell my snipe monster ryobi planer and get a remanufactured 2 speed dewalt instead. My table saw is accurate, and still runs well but a large saw is calling to me. The thought of that sander still gets me too. I am making a fair number of figured boxes, segmented cutting boards, and some panel doors in the making as well. Wife wants all new cabinets in both baths plus kitchen so the cabinet saw would be nice but it is doable with my present saw.

Please help me spend my money what do you think I should get and why.

Thanks Dave

PS once I buy pics will follow

Cecil Arnold
08-18-2005, 6:36 PM
New cabinets will be more enjoyable with the CS. I've got a 16-32 and while I use it, I don't know if I could really justify it as much as a CS. You really need to think about what you are doing and want to do in your shop, then move from there.

Jim Becker
08-18-2005, 6:41 PM
Dust collection = Non-optional, IMHO. First priority.

Good saw is more useful than a drum sander, which I consider a "nice thing to have", but not essential. I didn't buy mine until I had all the basics covered. (several iterations in that quest...)

Don Baer
08-18-2005, 6:55 PM
I agree with JIM, Dust collection should be 1st priority. I know when I set up my next shop thats gonna be at the top of the list.

Andrew Ault
08-18-2005, 7:01 PM
I've just upgraded from a Bosch 4000 TS to a used Delta Unisaw. I find the new saw to be shockingly great. The extra distance from the front of the saw to the blade is really useful. The thing has great power and I like the controls. Mine came with a 52" Beisemeyer fence.

I've already cut some large plywood panels and all that surface area makes for a much safer and easier to control cut. I've been working on some new jigs for it, like a secondary fence and new TS sled.

The thing's a honker, though and dominates my small shop space. To help with that I'm installing my router plate in the extension and will be adding some storage space under it. I'm trying to avoid using it as a surface to set things on.

Buying it used worked out really well. Much less than new and after some work it looks and operates great.

I've never used a drum sander, so I can't really say about buying that vs. a bigger TS. Heck, I'll save my money and keep an eye out for a used Timesaver...I'll need to build a new shop above the garage first though. :D I figure that now that I've got Norm's saw I'll need his sander. ;)

Anyway, that's my saw upgrade experience.

-Andy

Norman Hitt
08-18-2005, 7:02 PM
I agree with Cecil and Jim that Dust Collection AND the solid Basics for equipment should come first before the drum sander, but only YOU know for sure just how much you would use that item. As a possible alternative, when you Really need to use a drum or wide belt sander you might check around the local cabinet shops like I did. I found a really nice cabinet shop owner that will run anything I really need to have sanded that way, through his wide belt sander for me for a very small fee, and honestly, except for the inconvenience of having to take the stuff down there, I'm not sure I could actually do it with my own machine as inexpensively as he does it for me, (and we usually have a nice short visit when I'm there and he shares lots of glue, finish material and other information that they have tried/used and their results).

Dave Dionne
08-19-2005, 8:10 AM
Thanks for all the input.

You have confirmed the thought I was having about saw first sander later. I love my little saw but litle is the key word.

Thanks again Dave

Craig Zettle
08-19-2005, 9:54 AM
Dave,

Saw this sander on minimax user group site and thought you might like to take a look:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/message/12684

Craig

Tom Jones III
08-19-2005, 11:18 AM
If wood working is more than a passing hobby, then dust collection is #1. Get something you won't outgrow. Get a DC that is more than a dust blower. Make up your mind right now that you are going to spend some money and a lot of time getting it connected well.

I had the Ryobi BT3000 for several years and made a number of pieces of furniture out of it. For the money, it is a good saw, but if you are doing quantity work, or working with large and heavy pieces, then you will appreciate the CS.