PDA

View Full Version : Any Lathe Guru could help ?

nelson lasaosa
07-19-2015, 8:03 PM
:confused:Recently I bought an old 3hp Wood lathe, but it came with a useless 3 phase motor, cause I donīt have that kind of current. 220 volts one phase motors are easy to find here, but the question is: would it be ok to get a Variable speed controller wired to the motor ? or do I have to buy an integrated variable speed motor ? If the first option Works, it would be great from a money wise stand īcause things are hard to buy here near the jungle. Shoots, all sorts of exotic Woods available though. Help appreciated.

Dennis Cloutier
07-19-2015, 8:07 PM
You can buy a 220V single phase variable frequency drive, which will work with a garden variety single phase motor. This is how my Oneway lathe is set up and it works well. VFDs are fairly expensive though.

Josh Bowman
07-19-2015, 8:27 PM
Nelson, you can buy a TECO or other VFD and wire to your 3 hp "useless" motor, it's 220 volts in single phase and 3 phase out. That will save you a few bucks already having the 3 phase motor. Here's a link to one: http://dealerselectric.com/FM50-203-C.asp
I've bought several and like them, programming is easy enough, if you keep it simple. If you have any questions feel free to ask. But the tech support though TECO (westinghouse) is pretty good as well. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new lathe.

philip labre
07-19-2015, 9:54 PM
What Josh said. Keep the 3ph and get a VFD.

Guy Belleman
07-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a 120v VFD on my 240v 3-phase lathe and it works like a charm. The only difference on my vfd from the one Josh posted, is that mine has a rotary knob which varies the rpm quite nicely.

Roy Turbett
07-19-2015, 10:45 PM
You can buy a 220V single phase variable frequency drive, which will work with a garden variety single phase motor. This is how my Oneway lathe is set up and it works well. VFDs are fairly expensive though.

I believe your Oneway motor is actually a three phase motor operating on a VFD that allow it to operate on 220v.

Josh Bowman
07-20-2015, 5:48 AM
I meant to mention a speed potentiometer and forward reverse switch can be added to most vfd's. They are designed for it.

roger oldre
07-20-2015, 8:04 PM
A VFD would probably cost less than a new motor and speed control. the speed pot and the switch will cost another few dollars. if there are step pulleys on the machine and you really want to save money a couple capacitors wired in series with the extra phase can get you going!

nelson lasaosa
07-20-2015, 8:33 PM
Thanks every one for having taken the time to help on this. THANKS !