PDA

View Full Version : vertical spline cuts

mark downing
07-19-2015, 3:34 PM
I'll be installing 1 x 6 tongue and groove red cedar siding vertically to a building with a full height bay, 11' tall. The custom wants a flush look to the building so we will not be installing corner boards and casings. The outside and inside bay 'corners' are 30 degrees each so I'll be ripping each pair of boards at 15 degrees. The cedar is a full 3/4" thick. I would like to spline and glue these 11' joints on the bench before installing.
Can anyone recommend how to go about cutting these splines?

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2015, 3:42 PM
Biscuits. They're short splines. The joiner tools has a fence that adjusts in angle in the direction you need to adjust.

Here's a way to put clamps on the boards to draw them together while the glue cures. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?14650-Another-clamping-trick&highlight=angle+clamp

mark downing
07-19-2015, 4:11 PM
Jamie. Now I'm thinking a glued joint will allow no expansion so maybe a slip spline is way to go. I thought about biscuits but a spline will help the joints look good even after expansion has started. I just can't figure a safe/accurate way to make the cuts.

Rich Enders
07-19-2015, 4:15 PM
I have no actual experience with this, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to lap the two pieces at the joint for the same reasons that you cope crown molding joints instead of mitering them.

Max Neu
07-19-2015, 4:17 PM
You can make a continuous slot with your biscuit joiner with no problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRwfFqnQ5A , it's at the end of the video.

John TenEyck
07-19-2015, 5:23 PM
I've run 8' angled spline cuts on my Unisaw with no problem. 11' doesn't seem like that much of a stretch if you have a good in feed and out feed support.

John

John Lanciani
07-19-2015, 6:06 PM
Tilting spindle shaper is the easiest way. Any chance you're close to me?

Kent A Bathurst
07-19-2015, 6:32 PM
.........Any chance you're close to me?

Bravo, John !!!

Well done, Sir. Well done, indeed.

<insert standing ovation thingie here>

mark downing
07-19-2015, 9:27 PM
I like Max's idea of the continuous slot, works great. thanks guys!