PDA

View Full Version : Great wknd finds

Sam Beagle
07-19-2015, 3:21 PM
There was a neighboring community yardsale yesterday. I went with the wife, it was a brutal day, basically waiting and waiting to find something to buy. Well I had basically given up hope, actually we were getting ready to just go home, when the wife said to turn down this alley and follow the signs quick. Well all I could see was rust from afar. I came up to the barn, and there sat 6 bedrock Stanley planes as well as quite a few great old scrapers, chisels, and a Clarke edger. (I'm a flooring guy, so I was totally taken by surprise) My best buy was a #7 Stanley bedrock (608) I have all the others, so to find the plane I have been looking for at a barn sale really made my day.
I bought 5 of the 6 planes, most were duplicates, but they are bedrock series, something I don't have much of. I paid a little more than normal costs, but still very very cheap compared to eBay. The #7 I paid 12 for, all the others were 5-7 a piece. It was a great score, just wanted to share the moment with you fellow rust hunters.

Thomas Schneider
07-19-2015, 3:47 PM
we need pic's!

Allan Speers
07-19-2015, 3:59 PM
$5- $7 for Bedrocks?

I hate you. :o

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2015, 4:06 PM
You SUCK......

Joe Bailey
07-19-2015, 4:21 PM
In the complete absence of photos, I can only imagine that you were daydreaming.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2015, 7:39 PM
What is the old line? No pictures, it didn't happen.

Then again, when people clean out their old barn, they just want someone to haul everything away. Any money made is great compared to what it will cost to haul everything that is left to the dump.

jtk

Stew Denton
07-19-2015, 9:35 PM
Sam,

Incredible find, great job! If they are in decent shape, or even fair shape, any one of them is worth more than what you paid for all of them.....and don't tell me that there is a 604 1/2 or 608 in the bunch.....I will be wildly jealous.

Stew

Archie England
07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Don't that beat all! Great find!

Maurice Ungaro
07-20-2015, 6:48 AM
NOT your normal prices for Bedrocks, I don't care how much cleanup is involved!

Malcolm Schweizer
07-20-2015, 7:40 AM
NOT your normal prices for Bedrocks, I don't care how much cleanup is involved!

Exactly what I was thinking. Sam, can I buy some of your tools at "normal prices"?

Harold Burrell
07-20-2015, 7:52 AM
I want to be very clear with what I am about to say...

YOU SUCK!!!

Al Launier
07-20-2015, 8:10 AM
Good for you! Great deal indeed!

Sam Beagle
07-20-2015, 4:56 PM
I have no clue how to upload pics on this forum or the other 2 forums I talk on. But I have no issue sending anyone an email or text of the planes. Yes, there is a 608. It's the biggest one. All of them are complete, the handles are worn a little but still solid. They do however need cleaned up for sure. But don't think this kind of thing happens alot to me, this is the best group find of tools I've ever found.

Dave Parkis
07-20-2015, 9:15 PM
That is a HUGE find!!! Good for you. FWIW, the 608 isn't a #7, it's a #8.

Stew Denton
07-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Wow Sam, a 608! You did even better than I first though. I'm wildly jealous....well not really, but I am happy for you!

For what it's worth, I don't have a #8 plane, but would hope to eventually get one someday. For me there is no rush, because I don't have room for the ones I have now, but am working on that problem. Lord willing, some of these times my time will come and I will end up with a 608 as well. However, you have one now.

I don't know how to put photos on the website either, but maybe my wife can help me with that. If you figure out how to put picture on, we would love to see the planes, especially "before and after" if you clean them up.

At any rate, congrats on the 608 and the other bedrocks.

Stew

Maurice Ungaro
07-21-2015, 6:59 AM
Sam, let me put it to you like this: you stole those planes! How do you sleep at night?

Ray Selinger
07-21-2015, 1:17 PM
There's a 608 that shows up at the local fleamarket for $125 . Are they much more use than say a #07 Record ?

Jim Koepke
07-21-2015, 1:23 PM
There's a 608 that shows up at the local fleamarket for $125 . Are they much more use than say a #07 Record ?

The usage is somewhat the same. For me if there is a lot of wood to be removed on a rough sawn piece, then the #8 gets used. If it is later in the day or just a few shavings need to be removed, the #7 is lighter.

Sometimes my #7 is used like a long smoother after the #8.

Most people could likely do just as well with one or the other.

Edit: The point of your question may have been missed. The Record #07 is the Bailey design. The #608 is the Bedrock design. Theoretically the Bedrock is a more solid design. The Bailey design in the hands of most users will do just as well at its intended purpose.

jtk

Dave Parkis
07-21-2015, 1:26 PM
Both are jointers, a #8 is a little bigger (and heavier) than a 7. If the one at the flea market for $125 is in good condition, that's not a bad price. Not gloatworthy, but a pretty good deal. FWIW, flat side Bedrocks tend to bring more money than the early round sided ones.

Michael Ray Smith
07-21-2015, 2:29 PM
+1.....................

I want to be very clear with what I am about to say...

YOU SUCK!!!

Michael Ray Smith
07-21-2015, 2:32 PM
I paid more than that for a #8C Bailey (it was in very good condition) a few years ago and soon sold my No. 7 because I don't have enough room to keep tools I don't use.