PDA

View Full Version : Cat furniture

Gary Herrmann
08-18-2005, 5:50 PM
Well, I finished the cat condo for our new cat. He hasn't decided if he's a shop cat yet. His name is Logan. He's a Maine Coon (14 weeks old). And yes, he seems to like his new house. :rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
08-18-2005, 7:09 PM
It surely looks like a winner, and I think the cat agrees. :cool:

Now we need a full picture of the new condo owner. :)

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 8:20 PM
Does that keep him/her off the furniture? My dog's would say "put us up there".

Gary Herrmann
08-18-2005, 9:09 PM
We're hoping it keeps him off the furniture, but based on how often my wife puts him on her lap, I kinda doubt it.

My yellow lab already tried to climb up - got to the second level. Not a pretty picture. My black lab seemed to be egging the yellow on.

Dale Thompson
08-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Gary,
I may be wrong but I think that a baby Maine Coon is about the size of a Great Dane. :cool: I hope that the Yellow and the Black realize that they are dealing with a "Monster". The fact that the "Monster" is a bundle of "jaws and claws" only adds to the dilema. ;) They will ALL be "buddies" before you know it. :) Spank the cat and the dogs will "get" you. Spank the dogs and the cat will send you to the emergency room for numerous transfusions of Type DMWMB(Don't Mess With My Buddies) blood. ;) :eek:

Out biggest problem when we got a new kitten many years ago was that the dog LOVED her food. We had to put it on the top shelf of her "cat tree". On the other side of the coin, when we gave the dog a bit of leftover beef stew, which was her favorite treat, she would always let the kitten get her share without even so much as a growl. :) :) They were "buds" almost from the first day. :D :) Now they are BOTH gone! :( Enjoy!

Dale T.

John Hulett
08-18-2005, 10:27 PM
I made my own cat furniture a few years back. It was successfull, but the problem I had was two-parts - 1) I kept running out of carpet :o and 2) the carpet (from HD) put the cost of the project close to, if not over, what it would have cost me to buy one :( . I keep thinking about doing it again, but think I'd try to get carpet scraps from a flooring place before spending all that money on carpet again!

Dan Forman
08-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Looks like a hit. I knew there were coon hounds, but not coon cats.

Dan

AJ Hamler
08-19-2005, 8:21 AM
"Cat furniture?"

It's been my experience that ANY furniture (using the term "furniture" loosely so as to include car hoods and table saws in addition to sofas and chairs) is cat furniture.

At least, it is in my house.

A.J.

Gary Herrmann
08-19-2005, 8:29 AM
We adapted a model we saw at PetSmart that we liked. That one cost $329. I think the carpet, ply and 2x3s set me back about $80 or so. Maybe 6-8 hours work (mostly cutting and stapling the dang carpet). So if I include labor, it was probably a wash.

An unexpected benefit is that my son loves the condo and is very proud of his daddy for building it. He's been telling everyone in the neighborhood about it.

Even if I could make a little $ making these things, I don't think I'd want to. That carpet is a pain.

Here is another pic of Logan (no the wallpaper is not ours).

Steven Herbin
08-19-2005, 10:07 AM
We have a refrigerator magnet that says "If you want the most comfortable seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat."

We recently lost our best cat ever (Inky) after just 5 years. Some sort of uremic infection that came about in a matter of about 2 days - so we were in real shock about it -- he was a dog in cat's fur -- fetching, wouldn't leave us alone for a minute!

We were so bereaved that we had to get another cat (Ty -as in Tiger). He's about 8 - 10 weeks old and was abandoned and picked up by the ASPCA. He was really malnurished and buggy and ear mites -- the whole package. After 2 weeks of TLC by SWMBO he's now on top of his game. ... and we have another really healthy kitten waiting for us next week -- same age.

I've thought about building him a condo, and you've convinced me to do it!

Pictures will be forthcoming.

Tom Hintz
08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Nice looking, uh, cat house?
I also get a little acrried away building a condo for our cats. At the moment I was teaching myself to turn beads with a skew so decided to add a few to the project for practice....See the link below for photos.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/kittycondo.html

Steven Herbin
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Neat! I'll take one for my boys anyday.

Russell Svenningsen
08-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Anyone remember that Carson interview with Zsa Zsa Gabor? She had come onstage with her gorgeous white cat, the name escapes me, but that was one beautiful cat. It sat in her lap for the entire interview.

It goes something like this...........

Gabor:*HEAVILY ACCENTED ENGLISH* "Vould yooo like to pet my pooossy?"

Carson: "Sure, but you'll have to move that darn cat first!"

It's true, it actually happened! I know I'm not the only one who saw it.

Gary Herrmann
08-19-2005, 4:03 PM
That's a nice looking condo. It's also good to know that there are people who get more carried away that me.;) But I don't have a lathe yet. I shudder to think of what will happen when I do.

Richard Wolf
08-19-2005, 5:54 PM
We recently lost our best cat ever (Inky) after just 5 years. Some sort of uremic infection that came about in a matter of about 2 days - so we were in real shock about it -- he was a dog in cat's fur -- fetching, wouldn't leave us alone for a minute!

Sorry for your loss.

Richard

Steven Herbin
08-20-2005, 9:34 PM
Thanks for your wishes.

Where on LI are you? We're in Bayside, but have been over Paturkied and Bloombergized so we are selling in about 2 weeks and escaping!

Dale Thompson
08-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Nice looking, uh, cat house?
I also get a little acrried away building a condo for our cats. At the moment I was teaching myself to turn beads with a skew so decided to add a few to the project for practice....See the link below for photos.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/kittycondo.html

Great cat house!! I know what you mean when you talk about getting into making spindles. Once you get into the "groove", it's hard to stop. The first one may take two hours while you search for the right "rythm". The last one may take ten minutes or so.

One last thought, you wasted your time on the steps. A cat would much rather have a human leg to crawl up than a simple flight of stairs! :)

Dale T.