PDA

View Full Version : Parts plane: clean up and sell, or..

steven c newman
07-19-2015, 8:30 AM
Fouled Up Beyond Any Redemption?
but wait, there is more
Used to be a Stanley T-11 No.5....but
There is a blob like this on both sides, yet, they forgot to look under the base...
Base seems to be scrap. I might clean up the other metal parts, and toss the knob in the trash.

Somehow, I don't think I could save this one.

Had three planes come through the shop yesterday. Friend came by for the offer of rehabbing planes.
A Stanley T-10 No.7c was a success.
A Sargent T-5, No.414c was also a success.
This Stanley #5? Parts to help rehab the #7c's rear handle. Bolts and all. Stan had to leave right after the #7c was making shavings. I stuck around in the shop and rehab the Sargent 414c
Other than a Non-cracked base, it was just as nasty as the other #5 was. Had a Stanley iron, and chip breaker. A replacement iron had to be mated to the lateral lever. It was wider than the slot was. Sole was flattened
Iron wassharpened up, frog adjusted, and face flattened. Then a few shavings were made...
Seems to work as nicely as my own Sargent #414 smooth soled one
Nice Meet & Greet in the shop yesterday, too. Showed Stan how I rehab these things. He also dropped off a few saws to work on...
mainly old Disston No.7s with nibs. And a few planks of white oak. His choice to do so. I'd do this sort of thing for free, just to have a visitor now and then...

Stew Denton
07-19-2015, 2:38 PM
Steven,

It looks like they are making good shavings. Nice job!

Stew

steven c newman
07-19-2015, 4:24 PM
Well, gave the parts a soaking, a wire brushing, and some sanding
Gave the sole a long ride on a beltsander. Long time ago, someone had brazed or welded the base back together.
Since they didn't grind away the excess on the inside, kind ot tight in here. Knob has a repairable crack.
Iron is a clipped box stanley logo iron with 139 stamped into the back. Chipbreaker now mates up with the iron
Tote came from the #7c, Missing the top of the horn. The toe bolt also went onto the #7c. Guess I'll need another one.
Had to borrow a 2" wide lever cap to do a test drive. Japaning is less than 40%. Wood being jointed is Curly Maple.

At one time, long ago, this WAS a Stanley / Bailey No. 5, type 11. Now? just a "user", maybe. Frog adjust bolt must have been cracked....first crank to remove it...snap. I suppose I could get an "Easy Out" and replace that too.

Now have five saws to clean up. going to be a bit busy in the shop....

Jim Koepke
07-19-2015, 8:11 PM
A bad base can make for a good holder for a knob, handle or both. It has helped me a few times when I wanted to work on some of the wood.

Even old cracked knobs and handles get saved by me for filler wood when needed.

jtk

cody michael
07-21-2015, 2:50 PM
In another thread I saw you were offering to rehab planes for people if they mailed them to you, is this offer still open? I have a few planes I have picked up from garage sales etc that I am trying to learn how to use.

steven c newman
07-21-2015, 2:57 PM
Always willing to help out. Offer still stands. Just include a return postage label so I can mail it back.

Note: Not equiped to fix any cracked or broken metal parts. I can usually fix wooden parts.

PM for my mailing address.

cody michael
07-22-2015, 10:37 AM
okay, thanks I will pm you

steven c newman
07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Reply has been sent.