PDA

View Full Version : Finished pembroke table (with pics)

Tom Jones III
08-18-2005, 3:12 PM
I owe a thanks to a lot of people on this forum. I got advice about how to make the inlays and they turned out pretty good. This is the first project in which I used a hand plane. The top was too wide to fit through my 13" planer so I bought my first #4 hand plane and to save money I made a #7 1/2 hand plane. I got a lot of help from this forum on how to flatten and smooth the table top and how to make the plane.

Thanks again to those who answered all my questions, including, but certainly not limited to:
Ken Fitzgerald, lou sansone, Mark Stutz, Daniel Fisher, Doug Shepard, Michael Pfau, Dennis Peacock and Alan Turner

I love history, especially American history between say 1780 and 1830, so I am furnishing my study with pieces inspired by federal style furniture. Here is my pembroke table to go between two reading chairs.

The main wood is mahogany and the inlays are all walnut. The apron is actually a drawer front. There is a small scoop out of the inside bottom of the apron to pull the drawer open. The finish is 3 coats of BLO followed by 2 coats of wipe on poly.

I've already finished a small demi-lune table and a writing desk comes next. There are plenty of mistakes on this table, but it is the best job I have done so far and it is definitely my favorite.

Richard Wolf
08-18-2005, 3:21 PM
Great looking table. It's always fun to love history and be able to get the hands on experience with it. This table will bring you years of pleasure.

Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
08-18-2005, 3:23 PM
That is a wonderful looking table, I would be proud to display it! Great JOb!

Jason Tuinstra
08-18-2005, 3:34 PM
Very nice!

Jim Becker
08-18-2005, 5:27 PM
Tom, great job! It really looks super!

Carl Eyman
08-18-2005, 5:52 PM
Looks good! You'll love it more every year.

Jay Knepper
08-18-2005, 7:41 PM
Great looking table, Tom!

Alan Turner
08-18-2005, 8:26 PM
Nice work, my friend.

Keith Burns
08-18-2005, 8:39 PM
Great table, you've done yourself proud!

Gail O'Rourke
08-18-2005, 9:26 PM
Gorgeous, nicely executed, I love it.

Dan Forman
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Nice going Tom! Looks like you learned some good planing technique.

Dan

Peter Pedisich
08-18-2005, 10:53 PM
I would be proud to have crafted a table like that, nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Joe Unni
08-19-2005, 7:25 AM
Beautiful!

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-19-2005, 7:42 AM
Very nice. :)

Did I miss the other completed table? :confused:

KC

Tom Jones III
08-19-2005, 8:43 AM
Very nice. :)

Did I miss the other completed table? :confused:

KC
You didn't miss it, I had finished it about the same time I became a member here. I'll post a pic of the demi-lune next week.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it was very needed.

larry merlau
08-19-2005, 9:03 AM
nice looking table tom, did you make your own plans or do you have a source that you used? i would be intersted in trying one. my folks use one in there kitchen and it doesnt have the drawer or the aprons.

Hank Knight
08-19-2005, 9:32 AM
Very nice, Tom. I particuilarly like the walnut with the mahogany. Great rendering of the Pembroke style. Your family will enhjoy it for a long time.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2005, 9:50 AM
Gorgeous results Tom!

Tom Jones III
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
nice looking table tom, did you make your own plans or do you have a source that you used? i would be intersted in trying one. my folks use one in there kitchen and it doesnt have the drawer or the aprons.

I made my own plans, but I got inspiration from three books listed below. If you have specific questions I'd be glad to answer them.

American Furniture, the Federal Period, in the Henry Francis Du Pont Winterthur Museum
ISBN: 0764314068
A gorgeous book of federal style antiques with great information for reproducing them.

In the 18th Century Style
ISBN: 1561583979
This is one of the typical FWW type books. It has plans for a larger, simpler pembroke, like what you would use as a kitchen table. It also has a chapter on doing oval style complicated inlays. Great book, I highly recommend it.

Federal Furniture
by Michael Dunbar
ISBN: 0918804485
You can't get this new, only used. It is similar to the book above, although it covers very different wood working methods from more recent books. It also has plans for a pembroke table.

Roy Wall
08-19-2005, 1:23 PM
Tom - Looks Super!! Very nice........

Are the legs tapered on all four sides or just two inside edges..???

Von Bickley
08-19-2005, 1:31 PM
Tom,

That's one great looking table. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us... :)

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 1:34 PM
Tom,

Great work and display of your woodworking skills. Keep up the good work.

Tom Jones III
08-19-2005, 2:14 PM
Tom - Looks Super!! Very nice........

Are the legs tapered on all four sides or just two inside edges..???

You are correct, only the two insides. The straight outsides mirrors the straight drop of the leaves. The tapered insides gives the table a lighter look overall. The straight outsides gives it a slightly sturdier look than if it was tapered on all four sides. Beginning at the inlay at the bottom it is tapered again, this time on all four sides.

Keel McDonald
08-19-2005, 2:17 PM
Nice job, Tom