PDA

View Full Version : Stem caster question

Tony Roun
07-18-2015, 3:47 PM
Hi all, I purchased a bunch of brand new 5" casters at a yard sale. It looks like they were originally for some metal wore rack shelving units that have 1" round tubing as they frame. The casters are stem-type casters, and did not have any inserts to go with them. I got 40 casters for the price of 2 equivalent plate casters at the store so I figured it was worth the price to figure out a way to use them.

So the stems on top of the casters are 7/8" diameter and about 2-1/2" long and has a retaining clip on the end of it. I was trying to decide if I need to use some kind of a sleeve or insert inside the wooden 2x4 frames that I want to mount them to, or whether I can get away with just drilling my insert holes to 7/8" and not using a sleeve. These will likely be used for making some mobile storage shelves for my shop and for my garage. For what it is worth, I did find some heavier gauge pex tubing that these stems fit into very snugly, so I have some inexpensive sleeping material available to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Richards
07-18-2015, 4:02 PM
I would use inserts to retain the casters. Check with Darcor (http://darcor.com/). They'll likely have inserts that will fit.