PDA

View Full Version : Ancient wood countertops???

Harry Thornton
08-18-2005, 3:10 PM
Look at this site:

http://www.ancientwood.com/

I don't understand why anyone would use this kind of wood for a kitchen application. It is not a good material for a kitchen in terms of durability and it has a finite lifespan (as opposed to a piece of furniture which can last indefinitely.) Seems like a huge waste of a valuable and beautiful resource. Just one man's opinion.

Richard Wolf
08-18-2005, 3:15 PM
Harry, thanks for the link, I was wondering about the price of that stuff. At $35.00 a board foot it is less than I would have guessed.

Richard

Harry Thornton
08-18-2005, 3:34 PM
I thought the same thing but I'll bet the highly figured stuff is out of this world expensive. I guess if you made some VERY high end furniture it would be worth it at $100/ft. It is certainly some beautiful stuff.

Don Baer
08-18-2005, 6:03 PM
Hey they sell turning blanks...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=552 bgColor=#ffffff background=images/background_revd.gif border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>
Wood Turners
&
Carvers

</TD><TD>
Bundle

</TD><TD>1 piece 2" x 12" x 12"
1 piece 3" x 12" x 12"

</TD><TD>Mix of active and clear grains.

</TD><TD>
$149

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Wood Turners
&
Carvers

</TD><TD>
Bundle

</TD><TD>1 piece 2" x 12" x 12"
1 piece 3" x 12" x 12"
1 piece 4" x 4" x 12"
1 piece 3" x 3" x 12"

</TD><TD>Mix of active and clear grains.

</TD><TD>
$199

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It would be fun to make some 50,000 year old bowls...:rolleyes:

Ian Abraham
08-18-2005, 6:55 PM
I've visited the Ancient Kauri Kingdom workshop / showroom, the Kauri museum and the trees that are still growing in the nearby forests. What the web doesn't show is the sheer SIZE of those logs they are recovering. The solid table tops are amazing to look at too.

I've attached some pics.
First is the DIY furniture dept. Table tops / tree stumps / slabs / tuning blanks etc.

Then there is a picture from the showroom wall of the guys standing beside a log with the saws they use to initially break them down.

The last 2 are the staircase in the shop. It's carved from ONE log and the spiral stairs go up the inside! A waste of wood? Maybe, but there's nothing else like it in the world, and maybe it's better than slicing it up into tiny pieces or leaving it in the swamp to eventually rot.

Cheers

Ian

Richard Wolf
08-18-2005, 7:27 PM
Ian, I knew having a guy from New Zealand hang around would come in handy sooner or later.

Richard