PDA

View Full Version : "Job Box" as a Tool Chest

Jeff Posten
07-18-2015, 7:16 AM
Besides unsightly aesthetics, and the potential of banging metal against metal, is there any disadvantage or danger with using a metal storage box (like these (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jobox&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=41805878249&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5325813819075411903&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2hbwfysu9f_e)) as a tool chest? Specifically, am I going to increase my chances of corrosion or rust?

With a two year old, and a recent move to a location that attracts out of town family visits, my shop time is very limited these days. Unfortunately, some of my planes have developed a bit of rust from sitting in the open shop. While I would love to build a nice tool chest, as many recently have, I have too many other projects in front of it that compete for my time.

To speed up a tool chest solution, I was thinking of lining a craigslist find with plywood and building some trays and compartments.

Thanks in advance for any advise and/or thoughts,
Jeff

Maurice Ungaro
07-18-2015, 7:46 AM
Jeff, if you've got the room for it, why not, if you have one available already. With any storage solution, think about desiccants and other rust inhibitors. You might even consider a Golden Rod dehumidifier, if you don't mind a power cord coming out the back of your tool chest.

Jim Koepke
07-18-2015, 9:00 AM
A philosophy that has helped many through life, "whatever works."

jtk

Reinis Kanders
07-18-2015, 4:20 PM
Schwarz just posted free download of plans for his small tool chest built with nails and rabbets instead of dovetails. He says it is a two day build including paint, so realistically probably two weekends.
More fun than metal box IMHO.
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/07/12/tool-chest-for-new-an-free-download/

I sometimes put stuff in this type of box that can be had for about $10 in home depot, they stack well and are big enough even for a jointer.
http://www.amazon.com/Homz-Products-Storage-4415BKYL-06-Durabuilt/dp/B00GRAJSDC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AY8AJHTXZ21MF8NYN6A

Maurice Ungaro
07-18-2015, 7:08 PM
Very nice plans, and very cool of Chris Schwarz to make them available gratis.

Tony Zaffuto
07-18-2015, 8:55 PM
Joel, from "Tools for Working Wood" uses one, and as one of the better purveyor of tools, as well as a trained user, I would say his posting the use on his blog a fewvyears back, is a pretty solid endorsement.

James Pallas
07-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Jeff I have used a knack job box 60x48x30 since 1985. I have not had rust problems unless I get lazy and don't wipe a tool down after use. The box is in an unheated garage and I sometimes don't open it for a month or more. I have had more rust problems with tools that I keep in an old wood box. I stopped keeping anything but rough tools like pry bars heavy hammers and such in the wood box.
Jim

Jeff Posten
07-19-2015, 10:44 AM
All, thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate the info. Still kicking things around in my head.

Reinis, Maurice, appreciate the link to the new Schwarz box. I had actually seen that a day or two ago, and have gone back and forth on building one. Honestly, doesn't get much simpler than that (other than buying a pre-made one). I guess what has given me pause is that for the price of the lumber, I could just buy a box that would outlast me and my tools, and pretty much knock off two weekends of time. Just wasn't sure if I would quickly regret going the easy route.

jeff

David Eisenhauer
07-19-2015, 10:59 AM
It seems like you have limited shop time available for wood working. Maybe it comes down to what you would rather spend that limited time on - building a tool chest or something else? If you can afford the job box, that might make the decision easier. As someone said, if the Shakers would have had plywood, they definitely would have used it. My take? Put the tools in the job box for now, build something "pretty" or "authentic" sometime down the road if that moves up to the top of the list.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2015, 12:18 PM
I guess what has given me pause is that for the price of the lumber, I could just buy a box that would outlast me and my tools, and pretty much knock off two weekends of time. Just wasn't sure if I would quickly regret going the easy route.

If the Craigslist find is actually cheaper than the lumber and nails, it is likely a good deal. Besides, it could likely be sold if you have regrets down the road.

Back to lumber and nails, a well made wooden box could also out last you and your tools. Something in your original post caught my eye. The part about having a two year old in the house. Maybe you should make two storage chests, one for you and one for the youngster's toys and such.

There are some good points on nailing given in the Chris Schwarz article. One thing I like to do with cut nails is to make barbs on shaft to get a bit of extra holding power. There is a large metal vise (Parker 106) on one of my benches for this kind of work. The nail is held side ways in the vise and a sharp cold chisel is used to make two or three barbs along the corners of the nail. Make sure you are making the barbs point toward the head of the nail, chisel points toward the point of the nail. I like cut nails with a decorative head for this kind of project.

jtk

Jim Davis
07-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Just to add another option, a vintage tool chest can often be found on the big auction site. I found one I like very much at a group second-hand/antiques store. Mine came with some wonderful vintage tools in it (it was full of them!) and happens to be an example marketed by White, Van Glahn of New York City in the first decade of the 1900s. Most of the tools were also of that vintage. The chest type is called a "carpenter's shoulder box."

I had planned to build a similar one when I happened on this. I did rebuild the top and bottom, which were both cracked from drying and shrinking for 100 years.

I have seen some very nice carpenter's tool boxes on the auction cite that sold for under $100.

Jim 317879317880

Bill Houghton
07-22-2015, 2:10 PM
Not a direct response, but I use mechanic's rollaway chests and top chests for a lot of my tools, with great success. I live in an area with relatively stable humidity; if you live somewhere with chewable summer air (humidity high enough to bottle), you might have more trouble than I have, though.

Frederick Skelly
07-22-2015, 6:28 PM
I'd go ahead and use the job box you are thinking of. I'd put your planes in "plane socks" to protect against corrosion and contact with the metal tool box itself.