PDA

View Full Version : Old idea?

steven c newman
07-17-2015, 7:06 PM
Save a couple bike inner tubes. Wrap them around a project like the legs on a chair or stool.. Do this with no air in the tubes. Once they are in place, fill the tubes with air. Even pressure all the way around. If you have a big enough tube (26" tire) you can get two wraps around a stools legs. The rubber won't slide up the legs, either. Just an old idea I've used long ago.....:eek:

Bruce Page
07-17-2015, 8:50 PM
It's pretty easy to pinch an inflated bicycle tube with your fingers. You would get some clamping force used as you describe, but not a lot.
You would get more force using a rope clamp.

steven c newman
07-17-2015, 9:00 PM
used about 70 psi in mine. Big, wide tubes, too.

Shawn Pixley
07-18-2015, 8:59 AM
It's pretty easy to pinch an inflated bicycle tube with your fingers. You would get some clamping force used as you describe, but not a lot.
You would get more force using a rope clamp.

I'm with Bruce here. The innertubes have too much stretch. When I used to do a lot of chair repair, intead of rope clamping I used old pantyhose with a tournquet tightener. The pantyhose conforms to profiles on rungs, legs etc. without digging in like the rope can do.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2015, 12:22 PM
I have had the black come off and get in the glue, leaving permanent black marks embedded in the glue.

Maurice Ungaro
07-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Personally, I've cut them, and used them as rubber band clamps. more tension.

george wilson
07-18-2015, 2:24 PM
I used panty hose too,but I forgot to take them off my wife,and got a dirty look.

Actually,I use latex surgical tubing. I keep it sealed in a ziplock bag,or air will cause it to degrade and become brittle and break in pieces over time.

steven c newman
07-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Just an old idea I used to use. Used to do a lot of small tables with splayed ( 5 degrees) legs. Was a bit tricky to clamp it all up. Tube went around the outside of the legs. Pump the tube up as far as I could, then I could add regular clamps as needed.

Never saw any black marks on the wood, either. Tube never got close to any glue, either. One guy shop needs an extra hand some days.

Mike Henderson
07-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Me too. Works pretty good for certain applications.

Mike

Moses Yoder
07-19-2015, 7:31 AM
I save my worn out panty hose just for this reason.

Mike Cozad
07-19-2015, 9:27 AM
I save my worn out panty hose just for this reason.

How many times do you wear them before they are worn out enough for shop use?:D

Jim Koepke
07-19-2015, 10:02 AM
How many times do you wear them before they are worn out enough for shop use?:D

Sometimes only one football game if the tacklers are a bit rough and the line doesn't hold them back.

Gee, how old does someone have to be to understand the context of that one?

jtk

glenn bradley
07-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Yes, this. Air in the tubes adds little value. Without the tire to contain them the tubes are too flexible.

Alan Schwabacher
07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
The stretch is more important than air pressure: each wrap adds a bit more clamping force from the stretch, so that even a little force from one wrap can add up to a lot overall. This is particularly helpful when glued parts can shift, as you can easily keep things aligned while clamping force builds gradually.

The force from air pressure does not add that way: all you get is the pressure you put in. If you want pneumatic clamping, it's easier and safer to use vacuum, and settle for the 14.7 lbs/in^2, or whatever air pressure you have.

I use surgical rubber tubing, but glue sticks to it.

Mark Stutz
07-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Sometimes only one football game if the tacklers are a bit rough and the line doesn't hold them back.

jtk

Don't know for sure but I qualify!

Mike Cozad
07-19-2015, 1:20 PM

jtk

Hahaha... I wonder if any of the players today would wear a pair for $3 rather than spend the $100 for their UnderArmour version? Or maybe the UA version shaves time off the 40 compared to Leggs?:D

Allan Speers
07-19-2015, 3:57 PM
The world BADLY need another Joe Willy.

Sigh .....

Joe Bailey
07-19-2015, 4:28 PM
The world BADLY need another Joe Willy.

Sigh .....

for anyone reading this who is too young to remember, Joe "Willy" Namath was the QB of the NY Jets in the late '60s.
He was at least as famous for his off-the-field antics as for his abilities on the field.
His knees were ultimately his downfall, but in his post-playing days, one of the many products he hawked was women's pantyhose.
In a TV commercial he is shown wearing them. The implication was that if they could make his legs look good ...