PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Timeline and review

Keith Winter
07-17-2015, 5:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I've decided to take the leap and order a Chinese laser for cutting. Figures crossed it all goes well. ;)

Here's what I ordered. If you see anything I missed let me know. It's my intention to update this thread as things progress since I don't see many Thunder Laser reviews on here, might be helpful to someone I thought.

Machine ordered:
Mars 130 Plus laser
+ With EFR ZN-1650 130w tube
+ Upgrade to 5200 Water chiller from 5000 water chiller
+ Pass-through to be sealed with metal
+ Tube is longer than machine, to be enclosed in metal extension on machine

Extras Ordered:
- extra 2 inch head and lens
- extra 4 inch head and lens
- extra 2 inch focal lens
- extra 4 inch focal lens
- extra power supply
- extra motherboard + other boards on system and RDC6442G lcd controller panel
- extra servo motor
- extra servo motor driver
- molybdenum laser reflection mirrors - QTY 6
- 6 meter extra x, y belt
- extra open flap sensor
- extra honeycomb and frame
- extra screws for mirror mounts and lens

Events & Experience (so far):
1) 6-27-2015 - started talking to Nolan @ Thunder Laser - Nolan was very prompt to answer
2) 7-9-2015 - Placed order with Nolan at Thunder Laser - To ship within 3 weeks
3) 7-10-2015 - Wired 30% deposit to Thunder Laser, Nolan confirmed receipt - laser to ship within 3 weeks

Bert Kemp
07-17-2015, 5:33 PM
Congrats Keith hope it works great 4 you. question.......Pass-through to be sealed with metal does this mean there sealed and can't be used or just metal doors that you can open and use the pass thru?

Hi Guys,

I've decided to take the leap and order a Chinese laser for cutting. Figures crossed it all goes well. ;)

Here's what I ordered. If you see anything I missed let me know. It's my intention to update this thread as things progress since I don't see many Thunder Laser reviews on here, might be helpful to someone I thought.

Machine ordered:
Mars 130 Plus laser

Extras Ordered:
- extra power supply
- extra servo motor
- extra open flap sensor

1) 6-27-2015 - started talking to Nolan @ Thunder Laser - Nolan was very prompt to answer
3) 7-10-2015 - Wired 30% deposit to Thunder Laser, Nolan confirmed receipt - laser to ship within 3 weeks

Keith Winter
07-17-2015, 5:37 PM
Congrats Keith hope it works great 4 you. question.......Pass-through to be sealed with metal does this mean there sealed and can't be used or just metal doors that you can open and use the pass thru?

Great question Bert! Asked them to seal it, non-usable. It's on the backside and air escapes out of it since it's not sealed normally, so the vacumm is less and you get more smoke inside the cabinet if left in the default configuration. They are going to attach a metal strip with screws to it. I assume we could unscrew it if we wanted but we don't use pass-through, so this is best for us.

Ron Gosnell
07-17-2015, 7:27 PM
Great Job Keith,

I think you covered everything in the extras department. (If I break down now I know who has the parts) :)
I sealed off my pass through door on the Mars 90 and it made a big difference.
So far my Thunder Laser has been rock solid and I am 100% satisfied.
You may even sell the Trotecs after this :p.

Any questions you have please don't hesitate to ask.
I believe Rich Harmon is an expert on the RD Works software.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
07-17-2015, 9:45 PM
Haha! Don't think I'll be selling the Trotecs :p

Scott Marquez
07-19-2015, 3:26 PM
Congrats on your machine purchase.
Does this machine have a vacuum table? Depending on the design, a little input air may not be a bad thing. My machine has its exhaust pulling from a funnel attached to the bottom of the table. There are some louvers cut into the door for input air, so sealing off doors really wouldn't do much good. Food for thought.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the machine after you use it a while.
Scott

Keith Winter
07-19-2015, 5:11 PM
Thanks Scott! Good questions. It does not have a vacuum table, and the approximately 6" air port is on the lower backside of the machine. The reason the passthrough being open is bad is a laser needs suction inside the cabinet or at least some suction to properly remove all the smoke. Two separate people have posted complaints that the pass through was making their Thunder Lasers smokey. The exhaust port is not very far from the pass through gap so it's quite possible they were losing much of their suction through the skinny but very long gap for the pass through. Once they sealed it, they both said the smoke issue went away. That's why I requested it to be sealed at the factory, better than the old duct tape solution. :).

I'm sure plenty of air will get through the sides and gaps between the pieces of metal, however I'm sure a few small vents in the front for air would be fine for air flow, maybe even a good thing as you said. I think the key difference is the size of the pass-through, about 1" x 36" is a huge gap, and the placement in the back not far from the exhaust, vs your ports in the front door you mentioned. The front may encourage some front to back airflow (or front to bottom airflow in your case), but the back to back airflow which takes suction away from the main bed, or allows smoke to escape is what I'm trying to avoid. (see photos of exhaust placement relative to pass-through)

Congrats on your machine purchase.
Does this machine have a vacuum table? Depending on the design, a little input air may not be a bad thing. My machine has its exhaust pulling from a funnel attached to the bottom of the table. There are some louvers cut into the door for input air, so sealing off doors really wouldn't do much good. Food for thought.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the machine after you use it a while.
Scott

Scott Marquez
07-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Keith,
A picture says a thousand words, now I understand why you would block off the doors, especially the rear door because I agree that it is too big of an opening so close to the exhaust port.
Scott

Kev Williams
07-20-2015, 12:59 AM
My Triumph's passthru is just under 1-1/2" tall and about 48" long- I just stuck a few pieces of 2x4 in front of mine, they fit perfect top to bottom-- I left about about an 8" space that I can move around to adjust the inflow if I feel the need, but usually I don't mess with them. Personally, I like the smoke drifting around inside before it finds an exit, I end up with less soot on the material that way.

Looks like a nice machine, have fun with it! :)

Keith Winter
07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks Kev and Scott.

Jeff Body
07-20-2015, 1:08 PM
I find that I have better air flow when I crack my lid about 1".
I guess it's possible to have 2 large of a blower if your machine doesn't allow enough inlet air.

Keith Winter
09-10-2015, 2:54 PM
Updates:
7-23-2015 Received video of laser working
7-23-2015 Thunder laser says the laser is ready to ship! Asked us to send the remaining 70% of payment
7-28-2015 Remaining 70% wire transferred to Thunder Laser
7-30-2015 Nolan notified me they had sent the laser to the warehouse to prepare for shipping
8-12-2015 I emailed Nolan to check on the order and if it has shipped. Says yes it has shipped but no shipping info yet?
8-18-2015 Was contacted by thunder laser's shipping forwarder. Very nice person, very professional. Sent the documents we needed to import the laser over 2 days later
8-22-2015 Laser arrived in USA. Extra $319.42 china to us freight forwarder charge and fees, on top of the $475 us to china shipping from Thunder laser.
9-10-2015 Laser clears customs in USA and ready to ship to us. USA La to oklahoma shipping $710.00 + all other fees. - Wired money to Customs Broker

Thoughts so far:

+ Transit is moving smooth.

- It's looking like my total transit and importing bill will be around $2396.44. This is about ($400) more than I expected at the max. Duties and taxes were not to bad, it's the shipping charges ($475), destination delivery charges ($319.42), and inland shipping ($712) that are getting expensive quick..

- I was surprised by the extra $319.42 destination delivery charge, I thought the $475 would include most of the fees to get the laser stateside and then I would have to pay duties and taxes and such. The duties and taxes were expected, the extra $319.42 on top of all the other fees was not. ($319.42 = AMS charge, ddc charge, d/o fee, pier pass, clean truck, chassis fee, psf, port security charge).

- Next up they will load the laser and transport it to Oklahoma ($712 fee). This is about $250 more than Houston would have been I now realize. Live and learn for next time.

+ If all goes as planned I should have it in the next week or two, about a month ahead of schedule!

Bert Kemp
09-10-2015, 3:44 PM
Keith what will be the total of everything, including the laser ??

Updates:
7-23-2015 Received video of laser working
7-23-2015 Thunder laser says the laser is ready to ship! Asked us to send the remaining 70% of payment
7-28-2015 Remaining 70% wire transferred to Thunder Laser
7-30-2015 Nolan notified me they had sent the laser to the warehouse to prepare for shipping
8-12-2015 I emailed Nolan to check on the order and if it has shipped. Says yes it has shipped but no shipping info yet?
8-18-2015 Was contacted by thunder laser's shipping forwarder. Very nice person, very professional. Sent the documents we needed to import the laser over 2 days later
8-22-2015 Laser arrived in USA. Extra $319.42 china to us freight forwarder charge and fees, on top of the $475 us to china shipping from Thunder laser.
9-10-2015 Laser clears customs and ready to ship to us. USA La to oklahoma shipping $710.00 + all other fees. - Wired money to Customs Broker

Thoughts so far:

+ Transit is moving smooth.

- It's looking like my total transit and importing bill will be around $2396.44. This is about ($400) more than I expected at the max. Duties and taxes were not to bad, it's the shipping charges ($475), destination delivery charges ($319.42), and inland shipping ($712) that are getting expensive quick..

- I was surprised by the extra $319.42 destination delivery charge, I thought the $475 would include most of the fees to get the laser stateside and then I would have to pay duties and taxes and such. The duties and taxes were expected, the extra $319.42 on top of all the other fees was not. ($319.42 = AMS charge, ddc charge, d/o fee, pier pass, clean truck, chassis fee, psf, port security charge).

- Next up they will load the laser and transport it to Oklahoma ($712 fee). This is about $250 more than Houston would have been I now realize. Live and learn for next time.

+ If all goes as planned I should have it in the next week or two, about a month ahead of schedule!

Keith Winter
09-10-2015, 4:27 PM
Hi Bert,

I'd rather not post all their pricing in a public forum but I'll ballpark it for you. Laser (including chiller) was around $6k-$8k itself with the upgraded 5200n chiller and upgraded ERF ZN-1650 130 watt tube in it (upgrade from the standard glass tube). + This laser uses servos instead of the cheaper stepper motors. Not a big factor in my decision since I will be cutting mainly. However if you were planning on engraving, it might matter a little.

Ron Gosnell
09-10-2015, 6:56 PM
It's almost here Keith :). It seems like a long wait but well worth it.
I got a lucky extra bill on my shipping too. Mine was for a customs inspection.
It added roughly $400.00 to my shipping. Had to pay for dock fees and loading unloading, misc....
I guess if anyone asks me I'll explain that they should set back an extra $400-$500 for who knows what charges.
I happily paid mine and just wrote it off as a whatever.

I hope your machine treats you as well as mine does me. I have not had one issue to date. I love it.
I probably over clean it more than I need to but it seems to like it.
Congratulations again. At least it's on U.S soil now and survived the vast seas.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
09-10-2015, 9:40 PM
Thanks Ron. Some definite gouging type fees going on. I mean clean truck fee wth? Lol But if it makes it all here without any missing parts and works right I'll consider it all good. Really looking forward to getting started with it!

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2015, 5:08 AM
Thanks Ron. Some definite gouging type fees going on. I mean clean truck fee wth? Lol But if it makes it all here without any missing parts and works right I'll consider it all good. Really looking forward to getting started with it!

That clean truck fee is because it has a FDA requirement in the paper work.

Kev Williams
09-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Keith, I just ran thru your timeline, money sent on 7/10 and by 9/10 they just now ready to ship it, so you still have the boat ride, check-in and a truck ride yet to go...

I just checked my emails when ordering my Triumph, I sent money on 10/14/13, they built it and sent pics of in on 10/22, and it was in town ready for me to pick up on 11/27, the day before Thanksgiving.

However, mine was a bare-bones no-frills 'experiment' machine, yours is a much more hot-rodded version so they may have had to wait on a few items...

Bet you're chomping at the bit! ;)

Keith Winter
09-11-2015, 2:44 PM
Hi Keb,

Yes I am excited to get it going! Actually it passed us customs 9/8 it appears according to the shipping slip and the good folks at E.R. Hawthrone didn't wait for us to reply to ship it, got it today :)

Now I just have to figure out how they managed to cram all the parts and such under the laser, the frame is all welded so I'm waiting to hear back from China on how to unpack that stuff under it so I can move it. Then call the electrician to wire it up, and in a couple weeks we'll be up and going!

Keith, I just ran thru your timeline, money sent on 7/10 and by 9/10 they just now ready to ship it, so you still have the boat ride, check-in and a truck ride yet to go...

I just checked my emails when ordering my Triumph, I sent money on 10/14/13, they built it and sent pics of in on 10/22, and it was in town ready for me to pick up on 11/27, the day before Thanksgiving.

However, mine was a bare-bones no-frills 'experiment' machine, yours is a much more hot-rodded version so they may have had to wait on a few items...

Bet you're chomping at the bit! ;)

Kev Williams
09-11-2015, 5:13 PM
now that's a cruel joke, put an 800 pound machine around the accessories! (likely with a shop crane)

--3 or 4 guys should be able to tip it up far enough...?

Keith Winter
09-11-2015, 5:16 PM
now that's a cruel joke, put an 800 pound machine around the accessories! (likely with a shop crane)

--3 or 4 guys should be able to tip it up far enough...?

Lol I know right!

Ron Gosnell
09-11-2015, 8:33 PM
Hi Keith,

I lifted one end of mine (like with your pallet jack in the pictures) and rolled the machine off the pallet just far enough
for the boxes to drop to the floor. Then I rolled it back onto the pallet. Then I just blocked and supported one side
of the crate and used it as a ramp to roll the machine down to the floor.

How did you like ER Hawthorne? I thought they were fantastic and very reasonable. I don't
know why your trucking was so high though. I know your laser is larger than mine. I think my trucking was
right around $500.00 from Houston to Arkansas.

I'll get back with this later on to talk about a couple settings. I'm taking the wife and granddaughter
out for dinner. Or are they taking me out ?

I'm glad it arrived safe and sound. I didn't read about any damage anyways. They pack them pretty solid.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
09-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Ron I'll give that a try!

Ron Gosnell
09-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Hi Keith,

When you first install RDworks and get it up and running look on the upper right side of the page.
You will see a box with a read button. Press read and it will read the parameters into RDworks that are currently loaded on the Mars 130.
You will see a tab marked USER. Click on that tab and scroll down to sweep parameters.
Where it says x ACC (mm/s2) it may be set at 20,000. That's the acceleration speed and 20000 is pretty high.
When you raster engrave the machine will likely bump and jar like washing machine going back and forth. Set it to 10000 to start with. It will be more like a sewing machine. Then adjust to your liking. I like 10000.

There is also a x Start Speed (mm/s). That's the speed that the machine will allow to reverse at to go the other way. So when it starts braking once it gets that number it will reverse instead of waiting for 0.
Mine was set at 20 and that was also a little much causing a shake when reversing. I lowered it to 10 and again everything smoothed out.
Of course lowering those settings also slowed down the raster engraving speed a little but I think it is much smoother and less stressful on the belts and motors. Again adjust to your liking.

The cut parameters on mine didn't need any adjusting and I have not tried to tweek them yet at all as they are working really well.

At first I thought my power supply was mis adjusted to the tube and was overpowering it. 100% power was too much for the tube. That's kind of the case but not totally.
By watching the milliamp meter I found that a 65% power setting puts out 27 milliamps on the tube which is 90% of what the tube is rated for. (30ma max) on my SPT tube.
But...... that's when the min and max power settings are set at the same levels. 65 min and 65 max = 27ma.
If you start lowering the min power setting and leave the max setting at 65 the milliamp readings on the meter start to lower.
So....... if you set the max power at 100 and the min power at 20 you are close to 30ma on the meter which is 100% of the tube rating.
I don't know why this is and as of right now I don't go that route. I am setting my min and max power levels the same and don't run it over 65% (90% of my tube rating)
and usually run at 62% to keep around 24 - 25 milliamps on the meter for a safety margin. The reason that I don't set them high and low is because I don't know if the high setting is
overpowering the tube at points but the meter isn't fast enough to read it and it just catches the average reading of the output (make any sense).
When min and max power are set the same the meter is very stable (while cutting) and I know for sure I am not causing any damage.
I cant seem to find any forums or topics on the matter to explain it so I am just playing it safe for now.

You probably know way more about this stuff than I do but just keep your eye on the ma meter until you are comfortable.

Have fun, Gozzie

Keith Winter
09-29-2015, 3:47 PM
Ok I finally was able to get the boxes out using a farm jack + jack stands.

I don't have it running yet but I thought I'd share some photos of the unboxing.

Notes:
1. Most of it appears to be in very good condition after the travel overseas.
2. Spare cutting honeycomb was a bit dinged up (see photos)
3. They appear to have sent me the wrong mirrors. Cheaper gold mirrors instead of the Molybdenum laser mirrors I was told will come with it. This is problematic as 130 watt will crack these mirrors fairly quickly due to the heat I'm told. That's why I speced the molybdenum laser mirrors per Dave's suggestion. I have an email into Nolan @ Thunder laser on this, I hope they will just sent replacements.
4. I appear to be short the control board spares I ordered. Email in to Nolan @ Thunder laser on this as well.
5. On the tube there is a black spot just below the end (see photo) unsure if this normal, or anything to worry about? Also the black bands holding the power cables to the tube, do those need removed or can I leave them during operation?
6. Everything else seems ok, I will know more once we get it wired up.
7. Photos of unpacking below. Note the photo with the double doors. It's hard to imagine how big this thing is without a size comparison, we just barely cleared those double doors with only 2" on each side!

Keith Winter
09-29-2015, 4:24 PM
Black spot on tube, anything to worry about? Just below left side in photo

Dave Sheldrake
09-29-2015, 4:31 PM
5. On the tube there is a black spot just below the end (see photo) unsure if this normal, or anything to worry about?

Can you ring it on one of the pictures so I can see where you are on about? (sometimes tubes are marked with a spot for the polarisation line but not always)

This is problematic as 130 watt will crack these mirrors fairly q

Yes it can be a problem, if the mirrors are spotless they will withstand 200+ watts but even the slightest bit of muck (too small to see with the eye) and they get hot, REALLY hot and just blow through :(

Also the black bands holding the power cables to the tube, do those need removed or can I leave them during operation?

Personally I run a 4mm ID 3mm wall silicone tube round the outside of the + side just to be safe (don't grab the wire after the laser has been running, it hurts ;)) but other than that they can be left taped in place without any real problems :)

haha I never get tired of seeing pics of nice new EFR tubes, it's like Laser Porn :) (Ok I need to get out more)

Dave Sheldrake
09-29-2015, 4:33 PM
Black spot on tube, anything to worry about? Just below left side in photo

Just had a look...honestly? I have no idea what that is, that's the fill side of the tube (the glass nipple) but not a clue, could be anything

Ron Gosnell
09-29-2015, 6:44 PM

Hi Keith,
I have been running mine with the black bands in place. It appeared to me that they are
to keep the connections from moving around. No problems with it after a couple months of use now.

I don't know about the spot on the tube, mine is a SPT tube. I am surprised about the mirrors though. Mine came with Molybdenum mirrors.
I am sure that Nolan will make it right with you.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
09-29-2015, 6:59 PM
Thanks Ron, I'll keep them on! Are you running any coolant in your water or anything to prevent mildew? Seems I read a lengthy thread on here a couple months back but I don't remember the consensus, some said a little was good, some none at all, others had other methods they used to keep mildew away...

Haha Dave, I know what you mean about laser porn! ;) I watch you tube videos of lasers from time to time in addition to my own, lasers are just so much fun! :)
Dave are you talking silicon on the terminals where they wires connect to the tube itself, positive side only? Or what do you mean by "round the outside of the + side just to be safe"? Special silicon or something I can pick up at home depot/lowes?

Ron Gosnell
09-29-2015, 7:10 PM
Thanks Ron, I'll keep them on! Are you running any coolant in your water or anything to prevent mildew? Seems I read a lengthy thread on here a couple months back but I don't remember the consensus, some said a little was good, some none at all, others had other methods they used to keep mildew away...

I run just a touch of prestone. Not enough to really even color the water. ( I think it was 1/2 cup to the whole tank). No mildew yet.

Haha Dave, I know what you mean about laser porn! ;) I watch you tube videos of lasers from time to time in addition to my own, lasers are just so much fun! :)
Dave are you talking silicon on the terminals where they wires connect to the tube itself, positive side only? Or what do you mean by "round the outside of the + side just to be safe"? Special silicon or something I can pick up at home depot/lowes?

I think Dave is talking about silicone tubing around the + side for arc prevention.

Gozzie

Dave Sheldrake
09-29-2015, 8:08 PM
Yup, sheath the entire + HT line ,

keeping mildew down...half a teaspoon of chlorine crystals (the stuff used in home pools) works well on all of mine. (literally half a teaspoon in 6L of water)

Keith Winter
10-09-2015, 2:03 AM
Gozzie thank you for this. Got me started and going on the right foot :)

Unfortunately they sent me a bad tube. Lasted for less than 30 minutes of use. That black spot I saw on the tube when I opened it on the "nipple" of the tube turned into a second black spot that started to create micro cracks in the glass. Really upsetting because the laser was delayed a couple weeks so they could "quality control it and test the tube", and you and I both know these things cost more than other Chinese lasers. Was rather nice until it died. I'm sure they will make it right, but I already had jobs for it. We'll see what they do to make this right, and I'll update everyone once I get the results so others know what to expect if they order from them, good or bad.

I got a lucky extra bill on my shipping too. Mine was for a customs inspection.
It added roughly $400.00 to my shipping. Had to pay for dock fees and loading unloading, misc....
I guess if anyone asks me I'll explain that they should set back an extra $400-$500 for who knows what charges.
I happily paid mine and just wrote it off as a whatever.

I hope your machine treats you as well as mine does me. I have not had one issue to date. I love it.
I probably over clean it more than I need to but it seems to like it.
Congratulations again. At least it's on U.S soil now and survived the vast seas.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
10-10-2015, 10:42 PM
This conversation continues on a new thread about the tube issue and service for anyone that is following my thunder review, that topic is here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?236248-Broken-laser-tube-on-new-laser-need-advice!

Keith Winter
11-03-2015, 5:09 PM
So this will be my final update unless something changes or someone has a question. I'll try to wrap it all up.

After receiving the machine the tube went bad the first day (you can read about that in the link above). After about a week of back and forth, the boss at Thunder Laser was brought into the conversation and they agreed to reimburse me the $1350 it cost me to get the new tube + shipping AND they sent me a new EFR ZN-1650 tube as well :)

After being down 10 days I received the tube I ordered installed it, aligned the laser and I was back in business. About a week after that, I received the second tube which I plan on storing for an emergency.

In the two weeks since we received the first replacement tube we have been cutting 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week with it. The engraving is very average, but I must say I'm blown away with the cut quality and smoothness of the machine when cutting, and we also like the software. The software is basic, but it does everything it needs to for us. This is kind of a blessing in a way, since anyone can operate the laser pretty easily with minimal training now that we have figured out the basics. Most all of the hard work was done in advance at the manufacturer. I'm also very happy with the ultimate resolution we came to on the tube issue.

Yannick Ronchin
02-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Hello,
I am asking for some time with the idea of ​​buying a laser cutting machine.
For a budget issue, and to believe the good price / quality ratio, I rather directs me to a Chinese machine.
I have read a bit of the Forum. I read the adventures that you have encountered.

Repairing your tube problem dates from about three months.
Can you give us a return of further experience on the machine? Are you still satisfied?
Are there any negative points? ...
I read somewhere that the Chinese had a precision machine problem because of too much flexibility in the belts. Is this the case on such machines?

You made me discover the Thunder Laser manufacturer and, apart from the problem you have encountered, it seems to make good machines and be "upscale" in Chinese machinery, that I understood.
I seek to confirm this impression, to validate my choice.
For the belts’ problem, can they do a better mounting, or are there others Chinese manufacturers which offer that?

If some rather would guide me to other machines, I'm interested in any advice.

Sorry for my English (machine translation).

Keith Winter
02-02-2016, 5:42 PM
I've been very happy with the machine since the initial tube incident. Runs 8 hours a day flawlessly. As for engraving you are correct the Chinese engraving quality and speed is not up to par with the US machines even one with servos like the thunder vs steppers in regular Chinese machines. I think the controller is more of the problem than the belts. Above 800ms for standard or above 600ms for fine details the quality degrades a lot. This is still around half the Speed of a us machine. So if you are planning to engrave a lot of precision work I'd save up and get a USA machine. If you have less precise work to do or speed isn't an issue Chinese is ok. Really depends on the type of work you will he doing and your speed requirements...

As for the Thunder vs other Chinese, I'm biased :) However mine has been low maintenance, was setup correctly at the factory, and it has a few extra features, so I'd have to say it's a more premium machine than most of the other Chinese. Likewise they cost more. I like it, but yes you are correct, they are more expensive than many others.

Yannick Ronchin
02-03-2016, 5:39 PM
Hi Keith, thank you very much for your response.
I'm delighted for you that your machine works so well.
I think especially to cutting and a little burning.
That's what I'm interested in having an affordable machine and together with a good level of quality superior to other Chinese.
I would like to know a little more about the cutting speed.
Do you have an idea of the maximum speed to get a good cut (in mm / s)?
I could use a Trotec 400. The cutting speed is amazing !! 
How much of this speed can I expect to achieve with this Thunder machine?
Half, one-third of the speed?

I do not know what I've read ... is the machine removable (easily) (the lower part of the frame) to pass through the doors, toggling the height?

Yannick Ronchin
02-09-2016, 8:57 AM
Is anyone have an idea of cutting speed that i can expect to get with Thunder Laser Machine (Mars 60X90 for example) compared with a Trotec 400 ??
Thanks a lot.

Keith Winter
02-09-2016, 4:51 PM
Yannick cut speed is determined by 1) your material 2) your material thickness 3) your beam power. The thunderlaser is no faster than any other Chinese at cutting, and not much slower than a trotec of similar power cutting. You could reasonably expect a chinese laser to be only roughly 10-12% slower since you cannot run a chinese laser above 90% power. The limiting factor is your laser power much more so than the brand/type of laser when cutting. If you're only going to cut you can go with any mid-level chinese laser, it will be similar if it's of similar power.

Ron Philman
05-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Hi Guys,

Machine ordered:
Mars 130 Plus laser

Extras Ordered:
- extra power supply
- extra servo motor**
- extra servo motor driver**
- extra open flap sensor

Read this in another forum -- Thunder Laser machines actually have hybrid servos (closed loop steppers mfg by Leadshine who
markets them as "easy servos". But their steppers. Of course Thunderlaser's site claims them as servos -- img. I would leave the link to
the forum thread but I don't think its permitted.

Bert Kemp
05-11-2017, 10:40 PM
You do know this thread is 2 years old right.

Read this in another forum -- Thunder Laser machines actually have hybrid servos (closed loop steppers mfg by Leadshine who
markets them as "easy servos". But their steppers. Of course Thunderlaser's site claims them as servos -- img. I would leave the link to
the forum thread but I don't think its permitted.

Cam Mayor
06-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Are the legs of the Thunderlaser products removable. I want to get one into my basement but it will have to go through a low window.

Bert Kemp
06-06-2017, 1:02 AM
i would contact thunder laser and ask them since machines change designs often
Are the legs of the Thunderlaser products removable. I want to get one into my basement but it will have to go through a low window.

John Nicolosi
06-11-2018, 2:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Machine ordered:
Mars 130 Plus laser

Extras Ordered:
- extra power supply
- extra servo motor
- extra open flap sensor

How’s the Thunder Laser working out? Weighing Thunder Nova 35 or Boss 1630.

Bill George
06-11-2018, 4:41 PM
How’s the Thunder Laser working out? Weighing Thunder Nova 35 or Boss 1630.

Did you see post #37 from two years ago??