PDA

View Full Version : A question about cutting rubber

Walt Langhans
07-17-2015, 4:40 PM
hum... First time I've ever had to be careful about how I worded the tile of a post...

But anyway, I want make a rubber tool holder (like for screwdrivers) and I was thinking that I could just use rubber and notch it with a 'V' shape and then press the tools into it and have it hold them. Has any one tried this? Also what kind of rubber should I be looking at, and how does it laser?

Thanks!
Walt

Michael Hunter
07-17-2015, 7:00 PM
It stinks!
If the rubber is black, that is because it is full of carbon black. The carbon black makes cutting very slow with sticky black dust everywhere.
The rubber itself normally needs a good scrub in hot water and detergent to get it anything like clean enough to handle after lasering.

Nitrile rubber is commonly available and does not normally have specific nasties in it, though it may release a little hydrogen cyanide when lasered so good exhaust ventilation is a must.

Butyl rubber and neoprene types are often chlorinated so not good (think PVC).
Some exotic rubbers are fluorinated (even worse). This used to include some rubber compounds used in car tyres, but I don't know if this is still the case.

Glen Monaghan
07-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Foam may be more suitable than rubber. There are medium and high density types (both open and closed cell) often used for tool cases and drawers, and these foams cut well with the laser. You can make really customized 3D shapes using layers of the foam... such as 3 layers for a mallet: first a base layer, then a layer with cutout for the bulge of the mallet head and finally a top layer with cutout for mallet head plus mallet handle. If, on the other hand, you are talking about having the 'V' shape positioned sideways to hang the screwdriver vertically, I'd suggest the higher density stuff for best support.

Junior hall
07-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Glen Monaghan You said about foam high density types. Could i use this for to make rubber stamps like you see on packages that says use caution or paid in full and things of that nature The self inking stamps

Bert Kemp
07-17-2015, 11:58 PM
No .you want rubber stamp rubber

Glen Monaghan You said about foam high density types. Could i use this for to make rubber stamps like you see on packages that says use caution or paid in full and things of that nature The self inking stamps

Junior hall
07-18-2015, 5:37 AM
Thanks Bert Kemp

Clark Pace
07-18-2015, 9:05 AM
They do have low oder rubber. Never tried it.

Mike Null
07-18-2015, 9:18 AM
There is a good material for stamps that is not rubber. I have some but I haven't made any stamps for years and don't recall the name of the material.

a search turned up this. http://www.rubberstampmaterials.com/laserengravablerubberandpolymer.aspx

Scott Shepherd
07-18-2015, 9:52 AM
That's what I use Mike. I like it a lot (the clear).

Walt Langhans
07-18-2015, 10:22 AM
If, on the other hand, you are talking about having the 'V' shape positioned sideways to hang the screwdriver vertically, I'd suggest the higher density stuff for best support.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, any specific suggestions or links to the kind of foam that I should be looking at?

Michael Hunter
07-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Closed cell polyurethane (or polyethylene will do as well, but you might need to experiment as it melts more easily).
Density LD29 or higher.

With your 90W you should be able to cut 2" thickness without any problems.
Best to focus about 1/3 into the thickness of the foam : cuts better and gives a straighter edges.

You NEED good air-assist : otherwise the top of the cut will loose all its stiffness and sag, giving an irregular rounded edge to the cut which looks bad.

Glen Monaghan
07-18-2015, 9:56 PM
No specific companies or web sites that I can recommend, but "google is your friend" (tm). Try "tool foam", "high density tool foam", "tool box foam", and/or "Closed-Cell Polyethylene Tool Foam" and you'll get tons of references. Some possible specialized sites include allfoam dot com and foamfittools dot com. "tool box foam" on ebay...

Keith Colson
07-19-2015, 3:50 AM
I have not cut any silicone rubber yet but it is a great material and not melty like regular rubber. I wonder if it would work for you. Has anyone cut silicone rubber and how thick can you go with a 60 watt universal?

Cheers
Keith

Walt Langhans
07-19-2015, 1:34 PM
Thanks guys!