PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift clamp with paracord and a trucker's hitch

Michael Ray Smith
07-17-2015, 4:37 PM
I had to clamp a strip to the edge of a wide panel the other night, and I didn't have a clamp long enough to span the panel. To substitute for a clamp, I used a technique I've used before, something adapted from my other hobby of backpacking. It's not a big deal, but it's convenient sometimes, and as I was working on it, it occurred to me that somebody else might want to use it. I'm sure others have used this same technique, and I apologize if I'm pointing out something obvious. It has its limitations and doesn't work in every situation, and there are probably dozens of other techniques that work as well or better, but I've found this handy every now and then. Take it for what it's worth, and ignore it if you don't see any use for it.

I use a length of 550 cord (550 lb test parachute cord) and a version of a trucker's hitch (although when I Googled for it, I found that there are other knots that go by the same name; maybe there's a different name for this one) to hold the two glued pieces together. You can buy 550 cord lots of places, including Amazon, but make sure you're getting 550-lb test line and not something that looks similar but is much weaker. It comes in several colors -- I buy orange cord so I can see it lying on the ground when I use it in the woods.

First, tie a fixed loop in one end of the cord. This is a bowline, but any good fixed loop will work. Wrap the cord around the pieces to be clamped (I took these pictures just for the demo, so there's only a panel here -- I'm not actually gluing anything to it), and tie a slip knot in the cord like this:

Make sure the working end is on the "slippery side" of the slip knot. You can also use some other sort of loop, like an alpine butterfly, but they can be difficult to untie after you stress the line they way you're going to.

Pass the working end through the bowline. .

and then through the slip knot...

then back through the bowline again -- in the same direction as the first pass.

Then pull it tight.

As it tightens up, the second pass through the bowline should slip underneath the first pass (it usually does it all by itself, but help it along if necessary), which keeps the whole thing from loosening after it's pulled tight. You don't need to tie off the working end.

To release it, pull the working end in the other direction so the second pass through the bowline lifts from under the first pass, and the whole thing will loosen.

Christopher Morgan
07-17-2015, 4:53 PM
Neat idea.

And if you haven't seen it yet, you might find this entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHgGK-tImY

Richard Line
07-17-2015, 5:57 PM
Neat and handy when needed. A Question - for a glue up as you described, does it work to wrap the cord along the length of the panel and end up back at the loop, or do you need to apply several of these along the length?

Tom M King
07-17-2015, 7:24 PM
I use the Alpine Butterfly version of a "trucker's hitch", but have a much simpler way of tying it than this: http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog&Website=

I never like parachute cord for tying anything with. I get along better with more non-stretch line for almost everything. There are all sorts of nice climbing, sailing, and tree work lines that work so much better for probably anything other than hanging from a parachute popping open. I keep 5/32" Marstron prestretch for all sorts of odd jobs. Using the Alpine Butterfly, and decent line, you can always get it untied regardless of how hard you pull on it.

I used to use a multi-purchase system like that for the downhaul, and outhaul lines on a Laser, back when I was younger, and raced one before the class went Olympic, and started allowing more high tech gadgets.

edited to add: I looked at youtube videos trying to find someone who had posted tying it like I do with no luck. I did find this guy that shows the whole hand method, but also shows the advantage of using this knot. You can get it untied, but a non-listed advantage is that it decreases the line strength a lot less than a more pinching knot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm3nnM4CL1w

I just make two twists with my fingers, and the loop end goes back over and comes up under both twists. I know that makes no sense without showing it, but anyway, this is a knot that should be in everyone's knot repertoire. It's the only one I'll tie in the middle of a 200' hank of 5/8" Stablebraid.

Jim Koepke
07-17-2015, 7:40 PM
I use what is often called a trucker's hitch when tying loads on my truck. The loop is made by pulling some slack on the line from the load to the cleat while capturing the end of the rope in that section of line. Then a turn is made in the slack and the loop is made by pushing a bit of the slack through. The end side of the line is then coming through the loop and can be pulled to tighten the line.

It is actually tied more like a sheepshank knot.

Maybe I should go take a picture.

Another good knot for glue ups is the windlass.

I have also used a clove hitch when gluing up an octagon.

jtk

Jim Koepke
07-17-2015, 8:02 PM
Went out and took a picture of what I have always heard called a Trucker's Hitch:

My younger brother is hecka fast at making this knot. The rope to the right is hooked to a cleat or hook and goes around the load. To the left the top rope goes around a cleat or hook and returns to the 'action'. When it is all pulled tight, a loop knot with a half hitch secures the load. I have never had one of these come apart on me on long or short hauls.

The advantage of this method is the end doesn't have to be threaded through the butterfly knot.

If the rope is long, that can be a time saver. It also allows for a butterfly knot to be added in the extra rope to hook it and use it to tie another object on the truck. I have done that more than a couple of times.

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
07-18-2015, 12:55 AM
You need a few of them.

Michael Ray Smith
07-18-2015, 1:10 AM
I like the care that guy takes for dressing the alpine butterfly. For tying it, I generally use the method of wrapping it around your hand, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aRj8dQPRQ

One of the reasons I use paracord for backpacking is that it's a good survival tool. It has a core of seven thin strands that can be used for fishing line, sewing thread, all sorts of stuff. And for this application, elasticity is good -- for instance, I've used several wraps of surgical tubing for gluing up small boxes with miter corners.

Michael Ray Smith
07-18-2015, 1:11 AM
Yeah, that's one of the knots I found when I Googled for a trucker's hitch.

Michael Ray Smith
07-18-2015, 1:11 AM
That's a hoot!

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2015, 4:12 AM
If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.

Matt Lau
07-25-2015, 7:32 PM
Neat idea.

And if you haven't seen it yet, you might find this entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHgGK-tImY

Beat me to it!