PDA

View Full Version : Sideboard progress pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-18-2005, 2:19 PM
This is the sideboard I mentioned yesterday...dry assembled. Nothing is glued yet. it will have an open shelf at the bottom, and a gentle arc in the lower front/rear/side frame rails. I haven't decided whether or not to attach the shelf with a through tenon or not...not altogether sure I should've taken the sides all the way down like I did :( ...but it's something I did on purpose after thinking about it for quite awhile. I hate it when that happens!

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd2.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd3.jpg

Here's the upper dust panel assembly in the clamps. I decided to fix the 1/2" panels for an extra bit of 'stiffness'. After thinking it over, I'll likely use corner braces and attach the top through them. Tomorrow I'll cut dados and add the drawer guide works to the dust panels, then tear everything apart, chamfer the legs, and start sanding and gluing the several sub-assemblies of the carcass.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd4.jpg

Thanks for looking...and as always, critique is welcome!

Tim Sproul
08-18-2005, 2:50 PM
and a gentle arc in the lower front/rear/side frame rails....

I'd rotate that lower rail. I'm assuming only the bottom of the lower rail will be arc'd. The way it is now, the grain will 'fight' the arc.

I haven't followed your previous posts on this. That looks like mesquite.

I agree that the side panels might look better if they were the same height as the back panels.

Jim Becker
08-18-2005, 2:59 PM
Looks great, KC. The lower shelf will add nice display space and storage for larger items you need to keep handy, but don't do well in drawers.

Jason Tuinstra
08-18-2005, 3:42 PM
KC, it's going to look fantastic. All your bookmatched panels look great as well. I think the concern you have about the sides will be "fixed" when the bottom shelf is put in. I think it will bring it all together nicely. Nice job! You're going to be the envy of dining rooms everywhere!

Don Baer
08-18-2005, 4:48 PM
After thinking it over, I'll likely use corner braces and attach the top through them.

KC, thats how I fastened the top on the OAK dresser I made for my granddaughter and it worked out very well.

Great job so far, I can hardly wait to see it finished.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2005, 5:09 PM
KC...nice design and work!

On my oak sideboard there is a frame just below the top similar to your dust frame. I drilled 3 holes in each rail of the frame. The holes nearest the front were normal but I elongated the other 2 holes in each rail. The closer a hole was to the back of the sideboard, the more it got elongated front to rear. This was a Norm-like thing to allow for expansion and contraction of the top. I temporarily clamped the top in place checking with a ruler and adjusting as necessary for proper overhang on the front and sides. With it clamped in the correct place, I marked through the holes to the bottom of the top. I removed the top and predrilled holes in the top for the mounting screws. Using a racheting rightangle screwdriver with removable hex bits, I ran screws through the holes into the predrilled top. I used flat head screws that were normally used with my Kreg-type knockoff mounting system. The racheting screw drivers with removeable bits are from Craftsman. Good Luck with your project. I look forward to the finished item!

Dave Tinley
08-18-2005, 5:43 PM
KC-
Are you going to fill those mesquite knot holes with turquoise inlace ?? :D
Looks very nice. Is it for the mesquite festival?

Dave

Jay Knepper
08-18-2005, 7:49 PM
Lookin great, KC! I agree with the comment about rotating the front rail before cutting the arc.

I hope that you will continue to post progress pictures.

Norman Hitt
08-18-2005, 8:24 PM
Aaaaaah Yes, and Yet another "Masterpiece" you've got going there, KC. I really like the design, and the overall effect you have gotten from the grain selection and placement. I agree with Jason, that I think when the bottom shelf is in place, it will tie it all together exactly right, in relation to the ends going all the way down, (but I don't generally like tall legs on sideboards anyway). :D I assume that the front rail you are talking about having an arc on the bottom of, will be located below the bottom shelf, is this correct, or are you talking about the one that is in place now below the drawers? I'm asking, because I would have to agree with the others about turning the rail upside down for grain/arc consideration "IF", it is the one now pictured below the drawers, (but I figured you would have noticed that, so the one pictured must not be the one you mentioned)? :confused:

Boy, it looks like you are Really getting in gear for the Festival this year, what with Table & chairs, & now a sideboard, & who knows what else by then. :D I'd sure like to attend this year, but we'll see.

John Hart
08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I agree with Norman...another masterpiece!!! No critiques here...'course then, I'm not qualified.;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-19-2005, 1:44 AM
Well crap...I never paid attention to the grain on that piece of the face frame. I said nothing was glued, but THAT is. :mad: Even if it weren't glued, the mortises are all cut, so it wouldn't be as simple as just flipping it. That is sooooooo obvious that I prolly woulda noticed it when I was drawing the arc on it... :o but you guys just gave me a head start on being irritated about it. :(

Thanks for noticing the bookmatch on the long panels, Jason. I would've done that on the rear panels as well, but they had to be three pieces. They match okay I guess.

Yes, Dave, this is going to Fredericksburg. And no, there'll be no turquoise! I might not even fill those holes with black...haven't made up my mind. Character, doncha know.

KC

Mark Valsi
08-24-2005, 5:13 PM
KC

Looks great so far.

I'd put some kind of embellishment on the rails, cloud lift or arc

Can't wait to see the finished product