PDA

View Full Version : Router uses

David Ragan
07-17-2015, 1:03 PM
Please help me use my router more.

What do you all think are the most unappreciated uses of the common router?

Have a big Bosch (1718?) plunge, the trim router, and a PC in a table setup.

I just have not really used it besides for some small box moldings-table; and the Leigh DT jig.

Why not? Lack of knowledge would be #1. Maybe the bit which will destroy anything it touches. Plus, slinging chips everywhere. The cord can be hard to account for/secure. Can be awkward to move around/top heavy.

Some of you all talk about how much you use one, and how great it is. I'm jealous, and ignorant:confused:.

Jeffrey Martel
07-17-2015, 2:10 PM
Flattening sled for slabs/tops/stock too wide to fit on a jointer.

Mike Ontko
07-17-2015, 2:20 PM
Since you'd purchased a plunge router or a plunge type of base, then you may already know about doing mortises, dadoes, and rabbets.

But with hand-held routers there's quite a list of things you can do, depending on the size and type. Here are a few ideas for starters:

- Edge trimming laminates and solid-edge banding
- Creating repeatable edge profiles for table and chair legs and similar items (requires the use of a template and a bit with a bearing guide)
- flattening surfaces (requires the use of a specially constructed sled)
- lettering (using stencils and guide bushing attachment, similar to what you use with your Leigh DT jig)
- creating bowls and dishes using stencils

Do a Google search on "pantorouter" or go to woodgears.ca to see some related ideas and applications.

Von Bickley
07-17-2015, 2:32 PM
When making curved pieces such as arms for an Adirondack chair, I will make a jig in the shape I want, mark the work piece, use a jig saw or band saw to cut close to the line, attach jig to work piece and run thru a router table with a flush cutting bit.

Most of the cabinets I build with shelves, I will put a round over on the front of the shelf.

With a circle cutting jig that I made from a piece of 1/4" luan, I can cut a round top for candle stand, pedestal table, or any round work piece.

I have also used the router for cutting dados and rabbets.

I have used a router to cut a slot in the back of a shelf for a plate groove to display a decorative plate.

Decorative edges for drawer fronts and cabinet doors.

I know a lot of people use a router for cutting mortises.

I make most of all of my small decorative molding.

Victor Robinson
07-17-2015, 2:57 PM
I think jointing edges is one of the most under appreciated uses of the handheld router, especially because it can help so many folks that don't [yet] have a well-equipped shop.

Yes, there are a million ways to joint an edge, including a tablesaw, tracksaw, jointer, or jointer plane. But a router can also do it with a straight edge and flush trim bit. I remember a time when I had a router but none of the other tools I listed above.

Matt Day
07-17-2015, 8:19 PM
Check out Pat Warner's site.

Tons of info out there if you look for it.

Keith Hankins
07-18-2015, 11:38 AM
I think I use my router table only 2nd to my TS. Its good for Dado's, profiling, chamfering(pardon the sp), T&G, Ship lap, edge jointing, molding, raised panels, There are many more, but I just can't think of them at the moment.

I have quite a few for diff purposes. You would be surprised how versetile it is.

Here's mine it was home made from Norm's pattern with some minor changes. It's over 13 years old now and still chugging along

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY6e4rF

Gail Ludwig
07-18-2015, 5:11 PM
I purchased the book "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton when it was on sale at Woodcraft. It really has been helpful to me - a total beginner in woodworking. After using my router for awhile making Adirondack chairs, I recently sprung for a new router table. Wow -- made my router twice as usable.