PDA

View Full Version : Concrete cleaning

James Tibbetts
07-17-2015, 12:07 PM
What is the best way to remove rust stains from concrete? This is on the front steps and of course adjacent to flower beds and the lawn.
Any method that won't do damage to surrounding area?

Thanks.

DOH! Just saw the goof in the title. Can't seem to fix it.

daryl moses
07-17-2015, 2:21 PM
Muriatic acid will remove the rust stains on concrete but you will have to take appropriate steps to protect your flower beds.

Jim Koepke
07-17-2015, 2:26 PM
How about concealing the stains under a coat of paint?

jtk

James Tibbetts
07-17-2015, 7:08 PM
Jim that was my first thought. Unfortunately the community covenant police won't approve it.
I will do some research on the acid Daryl.
Thanks guys.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-17-2015, 8:20 PM
CLR has a section on concrete on it's label. Iron Out might also work. While I have both products, I prefer Iron Out as it seems to perform better. Probably anything strong enough to remove rust stains will also be strong enough to kill nearby plants...

James Tibbetts
07-17-2015, 8:41 PM
Mike CLR was my first thought but then...."H'mm, calcium, lime and rust..". I liked the rust part but was leery of the calcium/lime as per concrete.
I'll check out the reference you mentioned. I'm not at all familiar with Iron Out but I will look it up.
Thanks.

Gary Yoder
07-18-2015, 8:10 AM
Muriatic acid

Just a caution, if your concrete is smooth, muriatic acid will make it somewhat rough. It is strong stuff!!

Ole Anderson
07-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Oxalic acid. Available in most hardware stores as a rust remover. Check ingredients. Spray on and let sit until rust disappears then rinse.