PDA

View Full Version : 2-Inch Brad Nailer Recommendations

Russ Ellis
07-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I’m looking for recommendations on an 18-gauge brad nailer that can handle 2 inch fasteners.

I currently have a Porter-Cable BN125A for up to 1-1/4 inch 18g brads and a Senco 23SXP for up to 1-3/8 inch 23g headless pins. Both of these have done well for me and adding oil on a regular basis is not an issue.

Realistically I do not plan to use the contact fire mode for any finish nailer. Having the new nailer take oil just keeps it common with the other ones I already own. Primary considerations are contact tip size for the safety, visibility to the nosepiece, dry-fire lockout, and exhaust location.

Nailers I am considering (alphabetical):

Bostich Smart Point BTFP12233
Pros: contact tip size, rear exhaust
Cons: oil-free?, no dry-fire lockout?

Grex 1850GB
Pros: takes oil, dry-fire lockout, rear exhaust
Cons: more expensive than competition

Makita AF505N
Pros: takes oil
Cons: exhaust location, no dry-fire lockout?, not in-stock locally

Senco FinishPro 18Mg
Pros: can take oil, rear exhaust
Cons: visibility with springs for cover on nose?

Nailers I am not considering:

MAX NF255F/18
Had two of these and neither cycled reliably. Also, MAX USA customer service was no help.

Porter-Cable BN200B
I do not think the quality of this nailer is the same as the older BN125A and BN200A.

Jim Dwight
07-17-2015, 3:11 PM
Have you considered a cordless? I really like my Ryobi. Of my pneumatic nailers I like the Bostitch the best. My 18 gauge pneumatic is a Porter Cable and just OK. I have purchased a few Harbor Freight pneumatics and had mixed results. The upholstery nailer is fine as is the flooring nailer. The stapler would never drive the 1.5 inch staples it is supposed to be able to handle, however. With 3/4 staples it is usable.

I haven't used all the brands you are considering but I would rank Bostitch ahead of Porter Cable. But being able to drive brads with no compressor is nice. I did the trim in about 800Ft2 with mine.

Marion Smith
07-17-2015, 4:45 PM
My Bostitch is oil free, and will not fire with no nails. I like "oil-free", because I DON'T like trying to remove oil spots and stains from my woodworking projects.:)

Kent Adams
07-17-2015, 5:51 PM
I have 2 Accusets, before Accuset was known as Senco and they still work great. I bought 2 of them in 1999.

Kent A Bathurst
07-17-2015, 6:29 PM
I have an older PC 16ga - FN250A; Bostitch BT35B - 18 ga, but only 1.375" max; Cadex pin nailer.

All have performed flawlessly for many years. They do not get much work, admittedly, but they have been great. Had an Accuset pin nailer - older model - gave it to a friend when I got the Cadex - was a coin toss between that and the Grex.

OF all of them, the Cadex is the most impressive in terms of quality and design. FWIW.

I think of the 4 you are considering, there is a reason Grex is higher price, and you probably know what that is.............cry once

Greg R Bradley
07-17-2015, 7:05 PM
Don't confuse the XP series Senco you have with the Finish Pro series Senco you mentioned in your list. They are complicating it by using the name Finish Pro and XP in the name of some tools.

XP is the high end Senco that has gone way down hill lately. The non XP Senco has always been below that.

10 year old Senco with XP at the end of the model is first class. Newer XP is questionable. New Senco that isn't XP is marginal, at best.

If you want Senco, this is the one that would be the one: http://www.nailgundepot.com/Senco-FinishPro-FP25XP-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-wcase-58-to-218-Details.html

BTW, Porter Cable and Bostich are both Stanley Black & Decker. Max was ultimate high end and now marginal. Grex doesn't make anything, just different Taiwan company stuff sold by them. Some great like P6xx pinners, some so-so, some junk.

Bill Ryall
07-17-2015, 8:13 PM
Bostich. Hands down. Just bought a second one for the shop.

peter gagliardi
07-17-2015, 9:56 PM
Paslode cordless

Russ Ellis
07-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Greg do you (or anyone else) know the if current Senco FinishPro 25XP with red body is better or worse than the previous version with the grey body and power selector on the head?

guy knight
07-17-2015, 10:23 PM
worse returned 2 ended up buying an omer

Brian Cole
07-17-2015, 10:35 PM
The Hitachi NT50AE2 has worked well for me. Very reasonable price. Bought it after reading all the positive reviews on Amazon (640 reviews averaging 4.5 stars). Lowes also stocks it (along with Hitachi nails) in stores in my area.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT50AE2-18-Gauge-8-Inch-2-Inch/dp/B000H399PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186496&sr=8-1&keywords=hitachi+brad+nailer&pebp=1437186487030&perid=1XBP9WYVBMNRANT5FFBZ

Greg R Bradley
07-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Greg do you (or anyone else) know the if current Senco FinishPro 25XP with red body is better or worse than the previous version with the grey body and power selector on the head?

I don't know for sure but they seem to be not as good. I would find one that is silver and says "made in the US" if I could. I've got a SLS20XP that is used in a production shop that just works.........

I bought a Bosch for a HUGE discount when they introduced them. It is marginal too......

Russ Ellis
07-17-2015, 11:24 PM
I thought about the Bosch when Menards had them for $78 ($89 now). But these are a special order item.

Below is a picture of the previous Senco 25XP. I think I saw this one locally with the newer red version. A positive is this will run both medium-head and slight-head brads.

Tom Ewell
07-18-2015, 12:01 AM
All of my nailers are old versions but my go-to on the job site is a Ridgid which has gotta be going on a decade or so.

The current one listed is Model # R213BNE, looks the same as mine except for the 'semi transparent magazine door' thing, I assume it'll hold up just as well.

Think the only time it's jammed is when I've hit a hidden plumbing protection plate and the brad just doesn't fully clear the nose.

Rick Lizek
07-18-2015, 8:20 AM
Have the harbor freight 18 ga nailer/stapler with extended warranty. Couldn't ask for more. $18 and in 2 years I can bring it back and buy a new warranty for 2 years and I'm good to go. In 45 years I've never had oil dripping on the wood. Sounds like some one who over oiled or is imaginative speculation.

Tom Ewell
07-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Not so much dripping of oil but spray from the exhaust of the nailer, might be over oiling, don't know but my first brad nailer was a Senco where one needed to use an allen wrench to redirect the top mounted exhaust port, the default direction was straight away from the operator which would blow back in dusty corners, aimed it to the side which occasionally left a little shot of spray on a finished wall just above the base trim, finally aimed toward the operator so any oil spray hit the hand.
Any oiled gun sprays oil, nature of the beast, the amount of oil released and keeping the gun 'healthy' is the trick.

Peter Kelly
07-18-2015, 11:36 AM
worse returned 2 ended up buying an omerOmer is best.

If you can find an older gray made in USA Senco pinner, I recommend that as well.

Russ Ellis
07-18-2015, 3:23 PM
Was at Home Depot today and took a look at the Ridgid R213BNE that Tom suggested. Seems to have a decent feature set for $90 with a three year warranty.
Pros: dry-fire lockout, rear exhaust, tool-free nose cover (although limited opening angle), select fire switch positively locks into each position
Cons: magazine release in odd location and requires two hands to open, bumpers on sides of head make it slighlty wider

Next to it is the new(er) Senco 18BMg, which address the few issues I did not like in the previous Senco 18Mg. Honestly, the 18BMg looks a lot like the Max NF255F/18 with the same trigger to select firing modes. Price was $100 with a five year warranty.
Pros: rear exhaust, tool-free nose cover, maybe handles oil?
Cons: no dry-fire lockout, trigger feel (always bump the red switch), LED on nose is ???

Jason Roehl
07-18-2015, 5:23 PM
I'm curious as to why you want 2" 18ga brads. My limited experience with them means I'll never touch them again. They're too thin for as long as they are, and as such, are too prone to wandering--with disastrous results. That is, they don't shoot straight into the wood, often curling back out towards you or to the side, blowing out your workpiece.

If you want to shoot a 2" brad, step up to 16ga.

Russ Ellis
07-18-2015, 7:01 PM
I'm looking to fill a void between my current nail guns. Not planning for steady diet of 2" brads but it's nice to have the option.