PDA

View Full Version : First Chaotic cutting board

William A Johnston
07-17-2015, 6:53 AM
I've seen many of these on the net and decided I would try to make it. It is walnut, cherry and maple. It is 16" x 16" x 2 1/4" thick.

Bill

Al Launier
07-17-2015, 7:09 AM
WOW! Nice work indeed. However I think it should be engraved "Patience Has It's Virtues". :p

William A Johnston
07-17-2015, 9:54 AM
HAHA Al that is a good one.

Bruce Page
07-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Very cool! That looks like it was difficult to make.

Andrew Hughes
07-17-2015, 9:25 PM
That's just freaking me out too much I dont like it.But I do give a thumbs up for the work.👍

William A Johnston
07-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Bruce - it was a fun project. I used my left over from some other boards I made. One thing it does create a lot of unusable waist to make this happen. I was a little concerned how it would turn out seeing how I did not follow a plan. Its not difficult at all. Just a lot of cuts and glue ups.

Andrew - it is different. I'm like you I'm still on the fence about the design. I have seen many and watched a u tube video and read some blogs on how they are made. It was a fun project and good use of scrap wood.

Bill

glenn bradley
07-18-2015, 6:39 AM
The busy pattern is not for everyone. Like spalting or zebrawood, some things can only be taken in small amounts. I think the board's size would make the busy pattern desirable for some folks. I like it. I think the minimal color contrast is what makes it work for me. If the color range was wider it would be too much.

As to the waste factor, I get that. I make coasters and trivets in a similar manner and there is a lot of milling as I go along to make a surface or piece ready to add. I am generally using scrap anyway so other than the wear and tear on tools, the waste doesn't concern me. Use up your scrap and rock-on ;-)

William A Johnston
07-18-2015, 7:10 AM
Glenn thanks for sharing that. What a great way to use scraps then scraps. Very nice looking coaster. I have a box that is full of cutoffs and that is a perfect use.

Bill

Michelle Rich
07-18-2015, 7:38 AM
I like it..good use of leftovers and it's wild! lots of glue too! good job

Floyd Cox
07-22-2015, 12:23 PM
I like the illusion where some pieces look like they are raised above the surface of the board.

Where are you from in Arkansas?

Jon Grider
07-25-2015, 1:58 PM
Nice I like it. To me it sure is more interesting than the ubiquitous checkerboard variations that prevail. I saw the youtube video and seeing your board has motivated me to give it a try. Did you find it necessary to run the pieces through a wide belt or drum sander before glue ups? On the more traditional end grain boards I've made, I relied on a good saw blade and careful glue ups to make up for no access to a stationary sander. Thanks for sharing.

William A Johnston
07-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Jon,

I did run all the strips through a drum sander before glue up. I am sure you can use a sharp blade on the table saw but I tend to get some saw marks. It is really a neat project to accomplish. I did watch a few you tube videos to get an idea on how to do it. I did not have any specific pattern to make this happen, I just cut some Walnut, Maple and Cherry from my scrap cut offs. When I cut them to different widths I made my cut to maximize my scrap wood.

Hope this helps, and when you get done please post it.

Bill

William A Johnston
07-27-2015, 11:41 AM
I like the illusion where some pieces look like they are raised above the surface of the board.

Where are you from in Arkansas?

Floyd,

It does take on that appearance almost a 3d look in a sense. But no they are all even. I have watched a couple of videos on making a 3d cutting board and one of these is on my list projects I would like to accomplish. I almost think a 3d wall hung picture made out of wood would be really cool.

I live in the Central Arkansas Area. I did go through Harrison a couple Months ago and stopped there to eat on our way to the Grizzly showroom in Springfield. The northern part of Arkansas is really beautiful. I like going to the Ozarks to camp and float the Buffalo river when I have some spare time.

Bill