PDA

View Full Version : Traded for this, now what have I got?

steven c newman
07-16-2015, 9:27 PM
Did some trading down at an Antigue store this morning. 60s Hawthorne/Wards/AMF Trycycle for a couple tools about the same ( maybe?) age.

A Corsair C-4 Smooth plane. Had some issues, but didn't take too long to clean up..
Even made a few shavings. The other part of the trade?
PS&W 3410, with a #10 bit sticking out. I removed all the rust, and this is what was under it. :eek: Gave the wood a oil finish, as the sweep handle was a bit dried out.
That bit needed straighten out, though. Wood is solid, nothing is broke on the brace. Ratchet works nicely. Chuck is a bit grabby when installing a bit, though. Has a rough spot in there, somewhere.

So, a PS&W 3410 10" brace? Any other info on it?
Not too bad a little brace. May not have a Samson chuck on it, like my PS&W 12" does. This a "good" brace?:confused:

Archie England
07-16-2015, 11:02 PM
A Corsair holds a special place in my heart because it's the first plane that learned on. I worked exceptionally well. In fact, I had no idea that non-Stanley planes could be poor based upon how well the Corsair had worked. An elderly gent in church had loaned it to me to help me make a decision between tailed or hand tools. What a difference that exchange began in my life. So, from my perspective, you've got a wonderful (potentially) later model goldie.

And congrats on the good looking PS&W brace!

steven c newman
07-17-2015, 9:44 PM
"Issues" with this Corsair: Chipbreaker on wrong side of the iron, and sitting right on the bevel
Iron needed to be flattened
Got the sole flattened up, back of the iron flattened up, 25* bevel ground on iron, polished out to 2K grit wet-n-dry paper. Chipbreaker mated to the now flat iron. No gaps. Bolt in the rear handle is now straight. Handle will need a bit of glue. All bolts are now cleaned up like new. Lever cap cleaned up (it was chrome plated), and the leading edge polished to mate with the chipbreaker. Sides were derusted. Coat of oil finish on the wood parts, candle wax on the sole.
Makes some decent shavings, about ...0.005 or so.
Flattened sole. It was abit worn on the heel. No cracks in the casting.
Brass wheel has been polished up. Frog was set back a bit. Iron has support all the way through. Frog face has been flattened. Latereal was derusted, and was straightened up.

Took less than two hours to do. The brace took way less, about 45 minutes, tops. Bit took maybe five minutes. Took longer to do the trade, that clean these up

Any link to PS&W braces? I get up to the Samson Chuck ones, and then things stop...