PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade cleaning

Brian Kent
07-16-2015, 6:39 PM
Bottom line - Easy Off Oven Cleaner is working.

The story:
I have some fresh new wet wood (East Africa Yellowwood or Fern Pine) to break down into turning blanks.
I was using my favorite Lenox Diemaster 2 Bi-metal blade. 1/2" 3 TPI, hooked, the right blade for wet wood.

I turned on the dust collector, but did not notice that the gates were shut for the bandsaw, open for some other tool.

Then it started getting harder to cut. I shut it off and found a yellow coating on one side of the blade. It was baked on hard like enamel.

Not wanting to spend another $61 to have a new blade shift, I started trying cleaners. Easy Off worked on the first 12" test. When I opened the doors of the bandsaw, I found wet, stringy fibers and dust packing the bottom half of the bottom section, perfect for holding in that heat.

If I do any more cutting of that wood with the band saw I will lube the blade first and check it very often for heat and deposits.

Brian Kent
07-17-2015, 11:09 AM
And as I clean the saw, I find that the lower guide bearings are binding. I don't know if this is part of the cause or a result of the heat. Whatever the case, 8 new guide bearings on the way. 4 run rough and 4 partially binding after cleaning.

Al Launier
07-17-2015, 12:08 PM
I would coil the blade up & soak in Lestoil, or other cleaner, just like table saw blades. Since the bearings are already bound up I would suggest soaking them in the same solution, then dry them & apply WD-40, then lightly oil them.

Patrick Harper
07-17-2015, 12:17 PM
I use Simple Green. I fold the blade up and place it in a pan. Cover with Simple green, wait a few minutes, and then scrub off with an old tooth brush.

Bill White
07-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm in the Simple Green camp as well. Even use it on sanding belts with a fabric backing.
Bill

Brian Kent
07-17-2015, 5:51 PM
I tried the simple green. Normally yes, but the baked-on yellow-cake on one side was like baked enamel or ceramic glaze. It had no effect but the Easy-Off did.

I will look into Lestoil to see what that is. I have ordered 8 replacement bearings. 4 are loosened up but not spinning. 4 are grinding.

What do you oil your bearings with?

Floyd Mah
07-17-2015, 8:37 PM
I have a Grizzly BS that has bearings which constantly need attention. I just replaced them with a Grizzly blade guide that doesn't have the side bearings. Anyway, I used to have to remove the bearings and lube them occasionally. For $3, you can buy a can of spray lubricant from Ace. The stuff I have is called Ace Premium Lub-E. Works really well. Just spray the bearings, put them in a small dish to soak, and spin them by hand when they are wet. After a while, the bearings will loosen up, even the ones that are frozen and gritty.