PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where I put my............??

Rick Potter
07-16-2015, 3:30 PM
I am getting really tired of not remembering where I put tools. It has gotten to the point where I have some that seem permanently lost. Sometimes I go to work on a rental and they get put in one of those temporary tool kits, only to be found a year later, after I have replaced them (got four electric testers now). I found my favorite hammer (replaced) under the seat of the truck while searching for something else.

Currently, I have been missing a 16G brad nailer for about 6 months. I am also missing a set of those slick Jessem router table guides. I thought I bought two sets when they came out a couple years ago, and one set is on my router table. I have searched for the other set for a year now, thinking maybe I only bought one set. Then I found the receipt, showing two sets.

Come on guys, I know one of you hid them somewhere, help me out here. Where did I put them?? I always put important things in a safe place. Can somebody tell me where that is??

I would call it early onset oldtimers, but it's too late for that. Wait.....didn't I have a SawStop here somewhere?

Larry Browning
07-16-2015, 5:05 PM
I have accepted the fact that I will never do what I know I need to do in order to keep track of my ALL tools. It is something I always required my children to do, that never seemed to sink in with them either.
My wife and I always required our children to put away the toy they were playing with before they could play with another toy. This was a constant battle with them, but for the most part they complied at least when we were around them, but they never would do it without be told.
So Rick, always but away your toys before playing with a different one and you will never loose one. That's the only way you will ever keep up with your toys.

Phil Thien
07-16-2015, 5:19 PM
I've been observed walking around the basement shop looking up, as if I'm seeking divine inspiration, or at least a convo.

Apparently started happening when I started storing tools in the joist bays.

Jay Jolliffe
07-16-2015, 5:23 PM
I've walked around my shop looking for my glasses only to find out I had them on.

Charles Taylor
07-16-2015, 5:30 PM
Tools I can find. Usually. It's flat surfaces I can't seem to locate.

Jerome Stanek
07-16-2015, 5:59 PM
years ago I bought an expensive saw blade and placed it on my hutch till I had a chance to take it out to the shop. I had to go out of town for a week and when I came back I couldn't find it and thought maybe it fell behind the hutch. I pulled the hutch out and no blade so I was thinking that I may have pitched it when I grabbed some card board. I must have looked 10 times behind my hutch and even moved it out to paint. The last time I painted I moved the hutch back out and the blade fell off the little lip the hutch had on the back I couldn't believe that it could sit there and not fall for over 15 years.

Bruce Page
07-16-2015, 6:04 PM
I have always been an anal retentive machinist type - a place for everything, everything in its place. The only time I have to hunt for things is when my wife uses a tool.
Except for pencils…:rolleyes:

Kent A Bathurst
07-16-2015, 6:10 PM
Come on guys, I know one of you hid them somewhere, help me out here.

You didn't happen to give Harold your home address, did you? He's got this cosmic tool transfer deal working.........

I have an alibi - the surgery/sling deal.

Bert Kemp
07-16-2015, 6:54 PM
OK OK Rick I'll take the heat it was I, you'll find them in the bottom draw below your bench vice. Thats were I put them, if there not there then one of the other guys moved them again.:D

glenn bradley
07-16-2015, 6:59 PM
Tools I can find. Usually. It's flat surfaces I can't seem to locate.

Coffee on the monitor :D. As pathetic as it sounds I have a spreadsheet. There are pages for every storage cabinet / place in the shop, shed and house. I started this years ago and there is a shortcut right on the desktop for it. Whenever I look for a tool for more than a couple of minutes, I add it to the spreadsheet right when I find it. A tool I cannot locate in a moment or two defines it as something I use seldom. Am I seriously supposed to remember that the replacement brushes for my ROS are in the 3rd drawer of the flap sander stand or that the graphite paper that I line my sander platens with is in a plastic shoebox on the the second shelf of the left hand shelf unit in the shed? These things get forgotten so I have the spreadsheet; I call it my Ginko Biloba.

Moses Yoder
07-16-2015, 7:21 PM
The best time in life is when you accumulate so much stuff that you find things you didn't know you had.

Justin Ludwig
07-16-2015, 7:28 PM
I have always been an anal retentive machinist type - a place for everything, everything in its place. The only time I have to hunt for things is when my wife uses a tool.
Except for pencils…:rolleyes:

+1 except my retentiveness comes from Naval Aviation tool control. I'm bad about misplacing tools on the job site, especially when the homeowners are there being chatty Cathy (which I'm guilty of too). They look at me funny when I audibly say, "hammer on the ladder" or some other such tidbit.

Jim Koepke
07-16-2015, 7:50 PM
Like Bruce said, "a place for everything and everything in its place."

Usually when something is lost, it wasn't put away or it was put in a place I thought might be better. I usually end up going to the old spot wondering what happened to it. Then recall it was moved to "a better place." Problem is I can't remember where the better place happened to be.

jtk

Tom M King
07-16-2015, 7:58 PM
One of my helpers main jobs is to know where all the tools are. I knew he was going to be worth keeping when he started keeping driver bits in his pocket. I called for one, and he pulled it out. It helps a lot by me not having to take tools out or put them away. I just ask for what I want if it's not already anticipated.

Larry Browning
07-16-2015, 8:54 PM
I really do envy guys who are disciplined enough to put there tools in a specific place and then put them there when not using them. I have tried doing this, I really have! I do it for maybe a few days, but then one day I look up and tools are all over the place. I just can't do it! Plus it really does slow me down and breaks my work flow. Just as soon as I put something away, I need it again and gotta go get it out again. What a PITA! It is just not in my DNA.

James Tibbetts
07-16-2015, 9:04 PM
Rick I don't know where they are. I've been standing in this room for 10 minutes looking around trying to remember why I came in here; but I don't see the tools.

Rick Moyer
07-16-2015, 9:41 PM
Coffee on the monitor :D. As pathetic as it sounds I have a spreadsheet. There are pages for every storage cabinet / place in the shop, shed and house. I started this years ago and there is a shortcut right on the desktop for it. Whenever I look for a tool for more than a couple of minutes, I add it to the spreadsheet right when I find it. A tool I cannot locate in a moment or two defines it as something I use seldom. Am I seriously supposed to remember that the replacement brushes for my ROS are in the 3rd drawer of the flap sander stand or that the graphite paper that I line my sander platens with is in a plastic shoebox on the the second shelf of the left hand shelf unit in the shed? These things get forgotten so I have the spreadsheet; I call it my Ginko Biloba.

Glenn, over the years your posts have been very helpful and informative. This revelation, however, has made me feel better about myself than anything else to date! I am occasionally AR, but you've put my mind at ease.

Stephen Tashiro
07-17-2015, 12:27 AM
I am getting really tired of not remembering where I put tools. It has gotten to the point where I have some that seem permanently lost.

Why should you be tired? You should be happy. Not finding a tool is an excellent justification for buying another one. It explains why I have so many screwdrivers.

If wireless telephone electronics gets more miniaturized perhaps there will be little gizmos that you can stick on tools that ring when you "call" the tool. You could keep the list of tools' numbers on your smart phone.

Rick Potter
07-17-2015, 1:35 AM
Hey, Bert fessed up and told me where he put them....in the drawer under the bench vise. Thanks Bert.

OK Bert. Not nice. I just went out and looked, and I don't even have a drawer under my bench vise. Did someone take that too?

I do keep track of tools I loan out. There are only three people I will loan to, and I put those on a list, stapled to a cabinet door so it won't walk away too.

It is nice to know I am not alone in this. Part of my problem is too much stuff. Gotta thin the herd some more, so I will have room for new stuff.

Myk Rian
07-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Tools? Is that all you've mis-placed?
Heck. I lose everything I put someplace so as to NOT lose.

Brian Elfert
07-17-2015, 11:51 AM
I can never find my tools when I need them. They are scattered all over the place. It doesn't help that I basically have no shelving, cabinets, or peg board to store tools. It makes it hard to find tools when none of them have a home. I also have a really bad habit of just dropping a tool the last place I used it. Most of my tools are stored in my walkout basement, but I also do a lot of work in my detached garage. I'm not going to take tools back to the basement every time I'm not using them for an hour or two, but that means they often never get back to the basement.

Every time I try to organize my tools and such I get overwhelmed and it never gets done. Right now I don't have places for the tools anyhow. When I have had places for tools in the past I wasn't always disciplined enough to put things back. I also have a lot of tools and such in Rubbermaid Roughneck bins. It is hard to find stuff in an opaque bin that is 16" deep.

In high school the wood shop had perfect tool control. There was a tool cage and every single tool no matter how small had a specific spot in the tool cage. Cleanup would start about 10 minutes before end of class and every tool had to be in place before we could leave the shop.

Lamar Keeney
07-17-2015, 7:43 PM
LIL here, Putting things in a safe place will get you every time. I was given some very good advice once about keeping things in place, but sadly I forgot who gave it and what it was. But anyway I think this organized thing is overrated. I tried it several times and spent more time putting things in their place than it took to get the job done. So what works for me is when I got a job to do I throw what I think I'll need in a carpenters tote and the rest in a five gallon bucket and then figure out what I left behind when I get there.

Now depending on how tired or aggravated at the end of the job as to weather I put things back, it doesn't really matter that much cause if I go looking for something and it's not there all I have to remember is which bucket to look in.

Decides I think that organized folks are really just to lazy to look for it.

YMMV

Brian Elfert
07-17-2015, 8:25 PM
Organized shops/work spaces are typically much easier to work in than those that are not organized. I know from working in both types of shops. The only organized shop that doesn't work is if the organizer used some sort of obtuse organizing scheme.

I help out on construction projects at a Scout camp that has a good sized shop. It is pretty much a joy to work in because the work spaces are mostly clear and everything is organized. The only downside is none of the many cabinets are labeled, but I have been in the shop enough times to know where most everything is now. They even have a mini hardware store with bins of various materials as it is a two hour round trip to go to town. Outside under an overhang is a huge lumber rack with enough different types of lumber to make about any small repair you can think of. Lumber is delivered for larger projects.

Wade Lippman
07-17-2015, 9:00 PM
Five years ago I put my glasses on the dresser at bedtime and never saw them again. Searched everywhere for hours; gone.

Common story you say? Nope.
A month earlier I was at the Penn & Teller show in LV. Penn made my glasses disappear and rematerialize on Teller. I think there was some magical residue on them.

Chris Parks
07-17-2015, 9:20 PM
I really do envy guys who are disciplined enough to put there tools in a specific place and then put them there when not using them. I have tried doing this, I really have! I do it for maybe a few days, but then one day I look up and tools are all over the place. I just can't do it! Plus it really does slow me down and breaks my work flow. Just as soon as I put something away, I need it again and gotta go get it out again. What a PITA! It is just not in my DNA.

But the work flow suffers when you can't find what you need usually in the middle of a glue up or similar. I had a my workshop organised for years and knew where everything was and I put tools back when I was finished with them, all very orderly. I then inherited a complete workshop including machinery and had to change everything around and could find nothing which made me not want to be in there as the enjoyment was gone. About two years ago I took the big plunge and did a complete re-model and now I know where everything is again most of the time. In the end it is more efficient to put it back then try and find it which is very frustrating and leads to things being thrown around and many curse words being used.

Chris Parks
07-17-2015, 9:23 PM
Five years ago I put my glasses on the dresser at bedtime and never saw them again. Searched everywhere for hours; gone.

Common story you say? Nope.
A month earlier I was at the Penn & Teller show in LV. Penn made my glasses disappear and rematerialize on Teller. I think there was some magical residue on them.

I was so short sighted when I was younger that if I could not find my glasses in the morning I had to get someone to help me. I can recall being alone in the house after a heavy night of alcohol and having to phone a friend to come and find them for me. I have since had lens implants and life is good.

Keith Westfall
07-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Part of my problem is too much stuff. Gotta thin the herd some more, so I will have room for new stuff.

I don't think you can actually have "too much stuff".

Let me explain...

If we only have one of an item, it is pretty easy to lose it. Even if we put it back in it's proper spot, SOMEONE will come along and use it and move it, and then it's lost.

Now, if we have more than just one, of the same tool, having someone 'lose it', is not such a big deal. So it follows that the frustration level (of 'misplacing' tools) is lower, thereby allowing us to be more creative in the shop.

Now it would be nice when we get to the point of having 'extra' tools, if we could have a good, practicable place to keep them organized, but then it is again pretty easy to misplace that container of tools. So it must be better keeping them all in a different place, which prevents loosing them all at once...

So I end up with one here, one there, and one..., well you get the idea.

Not a perfect process yet, but I think I'm gaining a bit...

If I just had a couple more measuring tapes... :D

glenn bradley
07-18-2015, 6:30 AM
I've been standing in this room for 10 minutes looking around trying to remember why I came in here;

I call that living in the hereafter; I walk into a room and say "what did I come in here after?".

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2015, 7:53 AM
Here's a true story for ya. My shop used to be an unholy mess. There were literally piles of tools, car parts, wood, and who knows what all over any horizontal, and some vertical surfaces. One week I spent each day getting it all organized. I had drawers for each type of tool, shelves for the wood, a cabinet for paint, epoxy, etc. My wife was so happy to see it organized at last.

Then came the next project. I couldn't find a darned thing. Where is my Allen wrench set? It used to be piled under some VW parts in that corner. Which drawer is it in now? Where are my lineman's pliers? Did I put them in the pliers drawer or the electrical toolbox?

It it was a nightmare until after the next few projects and things started to pile up again in little piles here and there where I could find them.

Today things are all organized in drawers, and I have finally memorized which drawer has which tool, and I must say it is a lot better unless I need a tool I don't use very often, and usually I can find it by knowing where not to look rather than where to look.

Wade Lippman
07-18-2015, 10:13 AM
I was so short sighted when I was younger that if I could not find my glasses in the morning I had to get someone to help me. I can recall being alone in the house after a heavy night of alcohol and having to phone a friend to come and find them for me. I have since had lens implants and life is good.

Was that a matter of choice, or following cataract surgery?
I am much interested in it, but my ophthalmologist has been assuring me for 10 years that I should wait until next year for them to perfect it.

Myk Rian
07-18-2015, 9:05 PM
I have a Craftsman upper tool chest with lower base of drawers.
Top chest drawer has wrenches. SAE to the right, metric to the left.
Next drawer has screw drivers. Straight blade pointing left, phillips pointing right.
Next are sockets and wrenches. Not really organized.
4th drawer has files, putty knives, and misc stuff.

Cabinet top drawer has misc tools in it.
2nd has some other stuff.
3rd has hammers.
Everything in the bottom of the base is just thrown in where it usually stays inside.

My wood working and WW machine tools are in the chest I made for them.

Phil Mueller
07-19-2015, 5:59 PM
I was feeling like I had this pretty much under control. Until today. Frame glue up. Went to the drawer where all the misc little stuff goes. 3 miter clamps. Huh? The fourth is no where to be found.

Wade Lippman
07-19-2015, 8:28 PM
I only have two. I glue up 2 ends and when they are dry I do the other 2. Only did it backwards once!

Joe Bradshaw
07-19-2015, 10:11 PM
My tools hide from me. One time, I cleaned the top of my workbench and found 3 Doug Thompson gouges. Except for my main shop, I keep duplicate tools in my house, my barn, my tractor shed and my lawnmower/chainsaw shed. I also have 2 lathes in my girlfriends garage, plus some tools. Someone is going to have a great garage sell when I go to the great toolroom in the sky.
Joe.

Andy Pogue
07-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Have a sign on my bench that says, "organized people are just too lazy to look for it!"

Chris Parks
07-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Have a sign on my bench that says, "organized people are just too lazy to look for it!"

That is most probably not far from the truth, I can't be bothered wasting time looking for something when I am doing a job. I finish up cranky, frustrated in no mood to continue what I was doing.

Chris Padilla
07-20-2015, 5:16 PM
Usually when I can't locate something it is always on my body somewhere...typically in my hand...sometimes in a back pocket...occasionally behind my ear. :D

Jim Koepke
07-20-2015, 9:20 PM
If someone were to come into my shop, they might think it was a stupendous mess.

There are scraps of wood and various other things on my bench. Various tools are laying all about. There is a method to the madness.

Either before leaving the shop or when it is first entered less than five minutes is spent returning tools, pencils, rulers and whatever else to where it belongs.

Many years ago while still a bachelor my one room apartment was a mess. A friend came over and noticed the mess and mentioned that he would like to get a book he loaned me back if I ever find it. I went to one pile of magazines and books and slipped his book out from the middle of the pile. He was shocked and said, "I was mistaken. This isn't a big mess, it is a sophisticated filing system."

I have always had "a sophisticated filing system" working for me. I even know where my junk tools, metal scraps, wood scraps and every pen and pencil are supposed to be. I intend to keep it that way.

jtk