PDA

View Full Version : New to Sawmill Creek

Stuart Kent
07-16-2015, 1:25 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to Sawmill Creek although I have been reading and referencing here for a long time. I want to share a little about my background and see where I can both learn from and contribute to this forum. I'm a former Professor of Sculpture & Furniture Design, a U.S. Fulbright Art Scholar, and have been woodworking professionally since I took a part-time job back in high school 23 years ago. I have a 15,000 sq/ft furniture & cabinet shop in Winterville, NC and I have recently dedicated ~5,000 sq/ft of the shop to opening a school for aspiring woodworkers called the North Carolina Furniture School.

Aside from wanting to introduce myself, I am curious to know if there are any woodworking or woodturning clubs in Eastern NC looking for a place to hold meetings. I am willing to consider a no cost arrangement for the right group, under the right circumstances.

Mike Henderson
07-16-2015, 2:49 PM
Welcome, Stuart. I'm on the west coast so I can't help you with your question but I'm glad you posted. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
07-16-2015, 3:51 PM
Welcome to the creek. Looks like you have some interesting credentials and lots to offer. I look forward to learning from you.... and hopefully I will have a tip or two for you in the future as well. :D

Prashun Patel
07-16-2015, 4:19 PM
So you're saying you're brand new to the craft... ;) Welcome! Would love to see pictures!

Stuart Kent
07-16-2015, 9:06 PM
thanks all. if you consider that our craft is almost as old as humans I do feel new to it, and I am certain that I will learn much here.

Bruce Wrenn
07-16-2015, 9:47 PM
Welcome. There is an internet group based in North Carolina, with several members close to you. Look up Joe Scharles (here) as he is kinda the guy in charge in eastern NC.

Kent Adams
07-17-2015, 1:58 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to Sawmill Creek although I have been reading and referencing here for a long time. I want to share a little about my background and see where I can both learn from and contribute to this forum. I'm a former Professor of Sculpture & Furniture Design, a U.S. Fulbright Art Scholar, and have been woodworking professionally since I took a part-time job back in high school 23 years ago. I have a 15,000 sq/ft furniture & cabinet shop in Winterville, NC and I have recently dedicated ~5,000 sq/ft of the shop to opening a school for aspiring woodworkers called the North Carolina Furniture School.

Aside from wanting to introduce myself, I am curious to know if there are any woodworking or woodturning clubs in Eastern NC looking for a place to hold meetings. I am willing to consider a no cost arrangement for the right group, under the right circumstances.

Stuart, I'm from NC, but live in Greensboro. ncwoodworker.net has a very active board and I'm sure if there are clubs in Eastern NC, they will be able to direct you to the right folks. I wish we had a school in the Triad or even Triangle area. WNC has Greg Paolini's school and now you'll be starting one in ENC, but all of those of us in the middle are in a "desert".

Paul McGaha
07-17-2015, 5:39 AM
Hi Stuart,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

PHM

Stuart Kent
07-17-2015, 6:33 AM
Stuart, I'm from NC, but live in Greensboro. ncwoodworker.net has a very active board and I'm sure if there are clubs in Eastern NC, they will be able to direct you to the right folks. I wish we had a school in the Triad or even Triangle area. WNC has Greg Paolini's school and now you'll be starting one in ENC, but all of those of us in the middle are in a "desert".

Greensboro isn't so far, you should come for a visit sometime.

I have been a member of the NCWW forum for a while, it is a great group of folks.

Mike Cutler
07-17-2015, 6:40 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Stuart. It's a pleasure meeting you.

Mike Wilkins
07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Hey Stuart, welcome to the creek, where I have been wading for several years. I sent you a PM about your shop tour and opening, and hope to meet up soon. Great bunch of guys around here, and always lively discussions about anything woodworking related and more.

Stuart Kent
07-17-2015, 9:26 PM
Hey Stuart, welcome to the creek, where I have been wading for several years. I sent you a PM about your shop tour and opening, and hope to meet up soon. Great bunch of guys around here, and always lively discussions about anything woodworking related and more.

Hi Mike, I just checked my messages and don't have anything from you?