PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Adobe Flash Player

Clarence Martin
07-16-2015, 8:35 AM
With all the trouble I have been reading about that Flash Player from Adobe, is there an alternative?

Phil Thien
07-16-2015, 8:53 AM
Not exactly.

HTML5 is being extended by all the browser developers to be able to replace functionality Flash offers that HTML5 can't do right now. So HTML5 is close, HTML5+ gets closer.

But ultimately all the stuff Flash can do will be moved to HTML, and Flash will go away. I'm not sure how much flash is being employed in new development work now, hopefully little to none.

In the meantime Adobe will patch the bugs that are discovered and maybe even find a few themselves.

Scott Shepherd
07-16-2015, 8:58 AM
Just curious, what you are using that "needs" Flash?

Clarence Martin
07-16-2015, 9:14 AM
Just curious, what you are using that "needs" Flash?

I have no idea. I just found Adobe Flash Player 18 in the list of programs installed on my computer. Don't know what or how it is used for

Bert Kemp
07-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Flash player is used to view video like you tube and tv over the net lots of stuff uses it. Firefox does not support it anymore and if something you want to watch needs flash you get a blank screen asking you to enable flash this time to watch.

Jerome Stanek
07-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Flash player is used to view video like you tube and tv over the net lots of stuff uses it. Firefox does not support it anymore and if something you want to watch needs flash you get a blank screen asking you to enable flash this time to watch.

Firefox still supports it but Chrome doesn't

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Firefox does not support it anymore

A few days ago, some bugs were discovered in Flash and Firefox started blocking it. Adobe released a new version the next day. If you download the latest version, Firefox will not block it, and it works fine.

Erik Loza
07-16-2015, 11:57 AM
A few days ago, some bugs were discovered in Flash and Firefox started blocking it. Adobe released a new version the next day. If you download the latest version, Firefox will not block it, and it works fine.

Thanks! Did not realize this.

Erik

Bert Kemp
07-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Me either I had removed it from my computer guess I can download it again maybe

Thanks! Did not realize this.

Erik

Larry Browning
07-16-2015, 5:09 PM
IIRC, Apple products do not support it at all. I don't think there is even an iOS version because it is banned by them. Flash Player has always been a problem, this is not a new problem.

Larry Browning
07-16-2015, 5:14 PM

Foxfire does this on a regular basis. They find a security bug, block it, Adobe fixes it and get it unblocked, release another a new version, security problems are found, it gets blocked again, Adobe fixes it. Repeated again and again. It's been this way for years.

Clint Baxter
07-16-2015, 5:15 PM
IIRC, Apple products do not support it at all. I don't think there is even an iOS version because it is banned by them. Flash Player has always been a problem, this is not a new problem.

You can run it on an Apple PC, but it won't run on an IPad or IPhone.

Clint

Larry Browning
07-16-2015, 5:41 PM
Here is a pretty good article about uninstalling it. Be sure to read the comments section as well.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-make-your-pc-safer-uninstalling-flash-player.htm

Brian Henderson
07-16-2015, 7:29 PM
Firefox still supports it but Chrome doesn't

Chrome has it natively, it doesn't need a plugin. Firefox has had massive problems with Flash, that's why I moved to Chrome and haven't had a problem since.

Phil Thien
07-16-2015, 8:08 PM
Chrome has it natively, it doesn't need a plugin. Firefox has had massive problems with Flash, that's why I moved to Chrome and haven't had a problem since.

Not a solution for every site as I have clients that use sites that don't work with the Flash that Chrome uses.

Brian Henderson
07-17-2015, 3:03 AM
Not a solution for every site as I have clients that use sites that don't work with the Flash that Chrome uses.

That may be the case, but I use it almost exclusively for YouTube and that works fine. With Firefox, it was crashing with ridiculous regularity, people were complaining to Firefox and they did nothing about it. So they lost a ton of market share.

Brian Elfert
07-17-2015, 9:02 AM
Flash is used much more widely than I think a lot of people realize. If my Flash player is being blocked by Firefox about 50% of the websites I go to will get the warning about Flash issues. Flash seems to most often be used to deliver ads so it isn't a big loss.

I don't run an ad blocker because sites deserve to get paid for their work. If a site has too many ads I just won't come back.

Myk Rian
07-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Google stopped supporting it in Android several years ago. You can still sideload Flash version 11.