PDA

View Full Version : What do you turn that's "different"?

Barry McFadden
07-15-2015, 9:36 PM
I'm trying to get some ideas of things to turn that are unique or different. Aside from the usual bowls, platters, weed pots ....I'd like to turn something that I haven't thought of. I've searched the internet for unique wooden turnings and haven't really come up with much. When I end up with some small pieces of wood I always save them for the time I could use them for something different. The items could be big or small. With all the talent at SMC there must be things you guys have turned that are really unique... how about posting some pics and showing what can be done if you think outside the box??

Thomas Heck
07-15-2015, 9:45 PM
Ornaments, snowmen, bells, trees, mushrooms, dough roller, spheres, just a few ideas.

Dan Masshardt
07-15-2015, 9:58 PM
Pens
Bottle stoppers
Spinning tops
Rolling pin
Ice cream scoop
Coffee scoop
Pendant necklace.
Shaving brush / razor handle
Duck calls
Peppermills of various sizes
Salt and pepper shakers
Cufflinks
Refrigerator magenta
Letter openers
Chess pieces
Christmas ornaments
Lidded boxes of various sorts
Honey dipper
Wooden spoons
Light pulls
Candlesticks
Yoyos
Seam rippers

charlie knighton
07-15-2015, 10:04 PM
rovers, multi-axis wall hangings, cairn boxes, calabash zia........all series

Reed Gray
07-16-2015, 1:07 AM
One I want to experiment a lot more with is the 3 center turnings where the centers are off set so you get a nice spiral. Not much real instruction other than showing the basics...

robo hippy

Michelle Rich
07-16-2015, 6:03 AM
what I turn differently is my negative space design series. I also make chairs. Not much spindle work these days, seems bowls are what tickles people's fancy.

Michael Handrinos
07-16-2015, 6:52 AM
You do beautiful work! I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for posting.

Michael

Michelle Rich
07-16-2015, 8:35 AM
You do beautiful work! I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for posting.

Michael thank you. If you'd like to see more, I was the victim this month at Woodturners Unlimited, in the Behind the Art section. More of my pieces there. If you want a how to, go to Lumberjocks and look under Michelletwo projects. I have a tutorial there that that is quick and dirty, but gives you the basics.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Wow, you do nice work Michelle!

No one mentioned beads. I mean a bead to put on a bracelet bead. I turn koa beads, lots of work for not a lot of reward...... Found a use for those way too small even for a pen scraps of wood. That's the only reward. Use every scrap of koa.
Oh, koa pendants too, with an eccentric chuck. For those too short to do anything with scraps.

Peter Fabricius
07-16-2015, 1:35 PM
Robo Hippy,
Nice to talk with you in Pittsburg!
If you want a how to for the off axis three centres turnings, go to the Barbara Dill web site. She gives the measurements in a video on the topic.
She came to our area, Southern Ontario and demoed at a number of clubs, I could not attend so I watched the video and tried turning two vases. Nice and not too difficult.
Peter F.

Three small projects: Russian Olive vase/ hollow form, Maple Off Axis Vase (Barbara Dill design), and a Walnut bowl
Two Spindle turnings and one in Bowl Orientation.

Tony Rozendaal
07-16-2015, 1:40 PM
For those too short to do anything with scraps.

I'm curious, what is the minimum height requirement to be able to turn scraps? Is this something the AAW enforces? The questions go on and on .... (just kidding, after I read it a couple times, I got it).

Barry McFadden
07-17-2015, 8:17 AM
Thanks guys for the replies....good pics and great work...Dan....when you say "Refrigerator Magenta"... I'm guessing you mean Refrigerator Magnets?? as opposed to having a refrigerator that's a shade of pink??:D:D.....would like to see a pic of the magnets if you have one...

Grant Wilkinson
07-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Aside from the usual stuff, I've done 3 corian sinks. Terrible stuff to turn, but the results are worth it.

Mark Greenbaum
07-17-2015, 5:25 PM
How the heck do you do those? I would love to see a video demonstration. Beautiful.

what I turn differently is my negative space design series. I also make chairs. Not much spindle work these days, seems bowls are what tickles people's fancy.

Reed Gray
07-17-2015, 8:50 PM
I did see the Barbara Dill demo, but it only showed how to turn the form. It didn't include how to size your circles to do the lay out in, how much offset, and a few other things, like how to keep the spiral lines on the same curve. The basics, yes, but not the particulars.... I have work to do...

robo hippy

Peter Fabricius
07-17-2015, 9:26 PM
Reed,
She shows the sequence and the offsets to use with the sequence, 1 - 3, etc. I cannot remember the precise sequence but she lays it out for you. The distance offset is depending on the diameter of your blank, use your imagination. Measure the depth of cut for each of the three sides to get them even. Then undercut the base just a little to make the form seem to float on the table.
Looking forward to see your piece.
Peter F.

Tom Wilson66
07-17-2015, 9:36 PM

Some lace bobbins with wrapped thread decortions and a pen with the Vietnam ribbon.

Hayes Rutherford
07-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Just turned some guage wheels for a John Deere mower deck.

Brian Ashton
07-18-2015, 3:08 AM
how bout try a completely different medium. Aluminum is great to turn, turns like a really hard wood. Brass and bronze are excellent also. Copper is a bit harder but still doable and not many doing that. I prefer aluminum over wood to be honest. How big you go depends on your lathe and how heavy duty it is, largest dia I've turned is 250mm vase on a oneway. One other benefit is you don't need very many tools: metal spinners tool rest, 2 boring bars with 1/4" HSS spear point and a round nose bits, which are easily made by the use.

Barry McFadden
07-18-2015, 6:42 AM
Maybe someone could post a link to Michelle Two's how to? I've been over to Lumberjacks.com and find plenty of pictures of her work but no how - to.

Michelle Rich
07-18-2015, 7:43 AM
Maybe someone could post a link to Michelle Two's how to? I've been over to Lumberjacks.com and find plenty of pictures of her work but no how - to. It is there: the picture is entitled: HOW TO page 2 second row

Michelle Rich
07-18-2015, 7:47 AM
I have no video equipment..but the projects section at lumberjocks has a quick & dirty tutorial as I stated here on this posting.

Doug Ladendorf
07-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Thank you Barry! I had the same trouble. Part of that was the distraction of all Michelle's beautiful and cool work! Wow, love it.

Thanks for sharing Michelle. That's a neat technique.