PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Presents

steven c newman
07-15-2015, 5:33 PM
Two months late, but, it is from my grandson. Not only was there a large bowl full of Chinese Schrimp & Scallops over rice, there was three saws to check out.
The LONg one is a 10ppi, 26" long skew back. The etch(so far) is a maze of circles, like a bunch of banners with writing on them. Missing one bolt and a Medallion bolt.
Atkins? Or, Bishop?
The next one is about 20" long, 10ppi, skew back. Wheat carving on handle. Still trying to bring the entire etch back, but the "Brand name" seems to be "Clearcut"?? there is also a No. 118 above about three lines of script writing. Still trying to read the medallion. Number 3? Well, kind of small to be a skew back, but
Not sure IF I want to clean that one up, yet.

So, any ideas about the first two? :confused:

steven c newman
07-15-2015, 9:23 PM
Have all three cleaned and shiny. Still no clue about the larger two saws. Would like to figure out the big one, so I can find the "correct" hardware. Even that little saw is claen and shiny.

Grandson happened to remember I had a birthday a while back, and decided to get me something....

Now, IF I can just figure them out.

Hardware on the Clearcut saw is brass, the medallion say Warranted Superior, with an Eagle. Area on the handle where a thumb would rest, had been sculpted for a better fit. Wheat carving start in the middle and goes towards the top and bottom of the hand hand. Lots more all around the bolts. Carved in, not pressed. Lot of work for just a WS saw?

Bigger one makes one think of a No.7, but, it is a skewback 10 ppi crosscut. Etch doesn't resemble anything from Disston, not even the Disston/bishop saws...it is missing a third regular bolt and a medallion of some sort.

All three saws are arrow straight, with plenty of set. Larger two's handles have an "Atkins" like feel to them....

Wood in the larger handle has ray flecks. Not sure of the middle sized saw's wood for it's handle...yet. Almost a black to the finish ( "walnut"??) but the wood under it is very light in colour. Beech?

I'll work on the two larger saw's handles a bit more. Later....

Kent A Bathurst
07-15-2015, 11:52 PM
So, any ideas about the first two? :confused:

Yeah - I've got an idea............dunno how old your grandson is, but not sure that matters. Other than, the younger he is, the more emphatic my reply:

Clean 'em up. Sharpen them, if that is something you do. Find them a place of prominence in which to hang them in your shop. Use them, or don't use them -- your call. The answer actually has nothing to do with sawing lumber, IMO.

Then, each and every visitor -- especially your grandson - to your shop should be shown the great saws your grandson gave you.

BTW - Someday he may be able to afford gifts in the LN-LV class of stuff - - or Brese-Marcou-Holtey-2 Lawyers. Don't discourage him now, Steven C.............;)

Mike Allen1010
07-16-2015, 1:42 AM
+1,000,000%. Well said Kent.

Steven, you're a lucky man! - a Grandson who thinks enough about you to know you might like something as foreign to him as woodworking tools Is a real compliment!

Matt Lau
07-25-2015, 8:51 PM
+100.

Btw, if you want a quick recipe for Chinese shrimp and scallops over rice, feel free to PM me.
There's a ton of different ways to do it as there are over a hundred "Chinese" cuisines in China.