PDA

View Full Version : Router Bearing Replacement

George Bokros
07-15-2015, 4:22 PM
I have a frozen router bit bearing. The bearing measures 1 1/4" OD 5/16" ID and 3/16" T. The closest replacement is 1 1/4" OD 8 mm ID and 5 mm thick. This bit is part of a tongue and grove cutting set. I know the OD and thickness (I don't want to foll with changing shims for thickness) are critical for the tongues and grooves fitting properly. I would replace the bearing on both bits to ensure the OD thickness is identical but I am wondering about the ID. 5/16" = .3125 and 5 mm = .314961, question is this, is .002461 enough of difference in ID to be an issue?

Would you use the new bearings if the ID was that much different?

Thanks

Dave Cav
07-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Considering how fast a router bit spins, that sounds pretty loose to me. I think I would keep looking to find one with the correct ID.

Fred Heenie
07-16-2015, 6:46 AM
I don't often need to replace a bearing on a router bit but when I do I buy a replacement from the original manufacturer of the bit and for paired bits I replace both at the same time. . ;^)

George Bokros
07-16-2015, 7:20 AM
I don't often need to replace a bearing on a router bit but when I do I buy a replacement from the original manufacturer of the bit and for paired bits I replace both at the same time. . ;^)

I would buy the bearings from the same mfg but these are Marc Sommerfeld bits from when he was selling his designed bits through CMT. He has ended that relationship. I am waiting a call from Marc to get his suggestions. I will also contact CMT to see if they can help.

Prashun Patel
07-16-2015, 9:21 AM
The bearing affects the depth of the cut, right?
In theory, I'd guess if you changed both the tongue and groove bearings (assuming it's a 2-bit set), the fitting would still be the same.

However, I'd just shop -bay or McMaster to get the right one to be sure.