PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use both spindles on a double spindle shaper at the same time?

Larry Edgerton
07-15-2015, 8:46 AM
I know there are not many out there so this may not get answered but......

I was running some T&G the other day and while my mind was drifting as I fed the beast I was pondering running both sides at the same time with the Tongue cutter on one spindle and the Groove on the other.

Anyone done it? I am wondering the best way to feed it with one feeder. Its not really necessary, but it would be fun.

Larry

Mel Fulks
07-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Never seen one still in service. One in storage had spindles much bigger than 1 and 1/4. I guess feeder would go between them with a feather board at start. Let us know what happens.

Larry Edgerton
07-15-2015, 11:31 AM
This one is pretty refined Mel compared to the ones you are probably thinking of. Picture two old Martins welded together and you are about there.;)

Peter Quinn
07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
That seems like it might just work in theory, use it like a molder with one split fence acting as the other spindles back fence. If I understand correctly your Uni hoods spin like turrets, so you could use that to set the distance between cutters via the angle, aim the feeder at the split fence, would need a real long out feed fence you can bolt to the table to act as the second cutters back fence. Man I'd love to see that set up. Hope you try it!