PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Great Vendors and with sloppy companies.

Hilel Salomon
07-15-2015, 7:07 AM
Over the years, I have bought a lot of tools and supplies. In dealing with vendors like Vince of Woodnwonders and Doug of Thompson Tools, I have had incredibly good service. Their products are exceptionally good and they themselves are always helpful and courteous. Every dealing has been a pleasure. I've also enjoyed dealing with stores such as Mann Tools, Hartville and Craft Supplies, as well as relative newcomers such as Harrison and others. It is therefore frustrating to come across sloppy and inattentive companies. Recently, Mark Sillay gave a demo at our Columbia, SC club (Palmetto Woodturners) and offered a ton of good advice. Among the items he used and recommended, was a CA glue called Parfix which didn't have the horrible pungent odor that most CA glues have, and didn't burn. I was intrigued enough to call the company that makes this product. I was put on hold and the line went dead. Calling again, I got a sales rep., who said that the man who dealt with woodturners was so and so, and he would transfer the call. Again, the line went dead. Called again, and the operator assured me that so and so would call me shortly. No such call. What sloppiness.

Allan Wright
07-15-2015, 10:46 AM
I always vote with my dollars. I support good vendors and avoid the bad ones. The problem seems to find a good natural resolution that way.

This goes doubly for local brick-and-mortar establishments. If I find one I like I often buy items there that I might get on line if the cost is only a little more. When I want to 'run out and grab something' from them they'll be there when I need them.

Roger Chandler
07-15-2015, 11:02 AM
I think this kind of forum and the fact that turners can get pretty reliable information on vendors who give good service and products is one of the benefits of being a member here at SMC.

I know that I have cut down a lot of loss due to not purchasing things that are "out there" but not necessarily top shelf items, because turners here ask questions of one another about products and they seem to get a pretty good vetting most of the time. I have only gotten burned once, and that was about abrasives, and I did not seek input from other turners if they had used what I bought beforehand.

I like to support local business when possible.........keeps the community thriving, but have found that even a well equipped hardware/woodworking vendor cannot carry many specific things we turners need, so I turn to reliable vendors like CS-USA, and Packard, Thompson, Serious Toolworks and a few others.

Input from trusted and experienced turners who have developed a track record like some of the moderators on this forum, like Steve Schlumpf, Thom Sturgill, Ken Fitzgerald, and some previous moderators [JK, specifically] has given me valuable information and insight into both products and techniques, and I am better for it........thanks guys!

Reed Gray
07-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Maybe related to the tool rest thread, but some businesses are embarrassed by bad product and bad customer service, and some just don't care other than getting the product out the door. Sure mistakes can be made, but fixing them is the proper solution.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2015, 12:23 PM
I agree with voting with your dollars. For CA, give Starbond a call, they list odorless CA, but I have not tried it. I like them. I give them my hard earned dollars..... I don't work for them or get anything for saying this. You can now get it via Ama-mega online company.