PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Prime Customers 24 hour Sale Starts Tonight at Midnight

Keith Outten
07-14-2015, 8:50 PM
Amazon Prime Customers 24 hour Sale Starts Tonight at Midnight

Matt Day
07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Wonder what tools will be on sale?

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm not a Prime Member so I will be interested to see what everyone gets.
I have my eye on some things at Walmart.com. But they don't do tools like Amazon.

Phil Thien
07-14-2015, 10:28 PM

I thought 3AM Eastern?

It would be midnight on the left coast when it starts, I think.

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-14-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm not a Prime Member so I will be interested to see what everyone gets.

You can sign up for a free 30 day Prime trial membership to get in on the sale.

Paul McGaha
07-14-2015, 11:15 PM
For those that are thinking about becoming amazon prime members, We really like it. Highly recommend it.

We use amazon for a lot of things.

PHM

Malcolm Schweizer
07-14-2015, 11:21 PM
I clicked and clicked and could never get it to tell me what it costs to actually become an Amazon Prime member. It only would direct me to the 30 day free trial. It seemed very scammy, so I diddn't do it. If you can't just say, "Here is how much it will cost..." then I am suspicious.

Paul McGaha
07-14-2015, 11:31 PM
I clicked and clicked and could never get it to tell me what it costs to actually become an Amazon Prime member. It only would direct me to the 30 day free trial. It seemed very scammy, so I diddn't do it. If you can't just say, "Here is how much it will cost..." then I am suspicious.

Hi Malcolm,

If I remember correctly, an amazon prime membership is about $60 to $70 per year. We figured we can save that much on shipping only which I'm sure we have.

PHM

EDIT - I just looked it up, it's $100 per year. It may have been less when we originally became members.

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2015, 11:35 PM

$99 year. It went up some time back.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Malcolm,

As they said the cost of a Prime membership is $99 but....it includes free 2 day shipping and other benefits. My wife found this out just recently and there are a lot of online retailers that will miss her business because she found that out.

Mark Blatter
07-15-2015, 12:05 AM
The other nice part of Prime is it includes streaming services for a number of movies and TV shows. Not that anyone here has the time to watch anything.

Ryan Mooney
07-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Not sure if the free shipping applies to the Virgin Islands though - you'd want to triple check that!

Mark Blatter
07-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Here is a link to an article that provides some idea of what will be on sale.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35501580&nid=157&title=amazon-releases-preview-of-prime-day-sales

Malcolm Schweizer
07-15-2015, 12:45 AM

Today I see they added fine print telling you that it's $99. The problem is their free shipping rarely counts to the VI, so I don't stand to save my $100 back.

Kent A Bathurst
07-15-2015, 2:46 AM
Malcolm,

As they said the cost of a Prime membership is $99 but....it includes free 2 day shipping and other benefits. My wife found this out just recently and there are a lot of online retailers that will miss her business because she found that out.

The other nice part of Prime is it includes streaming services for a number of movies and TV shows. Not that anyone here has the time to watch anything.

Mark - I got nuttin but time on my [one good] hand. A pretty good service, actually.

The 2-day free shipping is very seductive - easy to point and click. And $99 is < $2 per week.

Here is the "save the planet" example of the Law of Unintended COnsequences: With Prime, I get what I need, and it is, all in, less costly than driving to a place to get it. Plus - no carbon emissions on the vehicle, and no time invested on my part.

But - the corrugated manufacturers love it, and the volume of waste from packaging, goes through the roof. I understand the recycling bit on the cardboard, but the fact of the matter - per summit I just read in NYT or WaPost - is that there is an overabundance of cardboard recyclables, the prices are dirt cheap, China's was the big consumer, but their economy is slowing down, demand is waaaaay down......so the recycle thing is not paying off.........

Keith Outten
07-15-2015, 5:16 AM
I heard that Walmart is countering the Amazon discounts and includes free shipping on orders over 35 bucks.

David Ragan
07-15-2015, 6:56 AM

Thanks for telling us that, Ketih.

Kent is right-Prime saves a huge amount of time, plus you get the ratings. And streaming.

The thread about things I don't like-that would be shopping is somewhere near the top.

For this event, nothing on my wish list is on sale, nor are there any Windsor chairmaking books on sale, or really any tools :(

Matt Day
07-15-2015, 7:50 AM
I heard that Walmart is countering the Amazon discounts and includes free shipping on orders over 35 bucks.

I think it's actually orders UNDER $35.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2015, 8:12 PM
Any tool deals?

Matt Day
07-15-2015, 8:48 PM
I've been very disappointed with the whole thing. Anything good sold out quickly and there seems to be a lot of filler junk. Probiotics and such.

Not much in the way of quality tools that I've seen.

Anybody else find anything?

Scott Shepherd
07-15-2015, 9:23 PM
I've been very disappointed with the whole thing. Anything good sold out quickly and there seems to be a lot of filler junk. Probiotics and such.

Not much in the way of quality tools that I've seen.

Anybody else find anything?

I've had the same experience. Seems like it was a huge sale for stuff no one was buying. I saw 3 SD cards coming up in minutes. I was watching it when all of them, side by side, went from "coming up" to "add to cart". I instantly clicked add to cart literally in less than one second, pop, pop, pop,all 3. It came up said it was trying to add me to the waiting list, then I got nothing, not even on the waiting list. They sold out in less than 1 second on all 3? How many did they have, 2?

I checked a few prices and the things I checked weren't even great deals. Things list 29% off, but that's off MSRP and it's just their normal pricing.

Oh well, I tried!

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2015, 10:41 PM
I have been buying more and more from Walmart.com.
I can have any size order shipped to the store across the street from work for free.
Their price is almost always the same as Amazon.
No membership fee.
And a huge plus in my book, If I need to return something ,I can just return it to the local store. No postage.
Last Christmas I went to order a large box of K-cup coffee as a gift from Amazon like I did the year before. Amazon would not sell it to me because it was a "Prime Member Price only" item. So I purchased from a local store. Turned out I got it cheaper buying a bunch of small boxes vs the large box. so much for membership pricing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Amazon. I have a Kindle tablet and love it. Enjoy how easy it is buying music, magazines and books.

Steve Kinnaird
07-15-2015, 11:26 PM
I have purchase quite a bit from Amazon. I always make sure that I order enough to get the free standard shipping. Have never been in a big enough hurry to need it sooner than that.

Michael Weber
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Lots of people unhappy with the prime sale.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/15/news/amazon-walmart-prime-day-customers/index.html

Matt Meiser
07-16-2015, 7:23 AM
It was a bust for me--nothing on my wishlist went on sale. I got my daughter a good backup battery pack for her phone and tablet 20% off and am wait-listed for a bigger one for myself. I saw one great deal I didn't take--the running shoes I bought locally 2 weeks ago were on sale for roughly half what I paid. Of course they didn't come with the advise from an experienced runner at Amazon.

Larry Frank
07-16-2015, 8:07 AM
The Prime Day thing was really disappointing to me. I use Amazon Prime but not yesterday.

Brian Henderson
07-16-2015, 2:49 PM
Same here, absolutely nothing on my want list went on sale, I went and paged through their listings a couple of times during the day and there was nothing that I really cared about so I just didn't buy anything. They tried to build this thing up as something huge and it was just crap.