PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Roger Chandler
07-14-2015, 6:26 PM
Well, the Oneway banjo I ordered as an aftermarket upgrade for my G0766 arrived this afternoon. Can I say SWEEEEEEET!!!??? :D:D:D

Okay, the thing is really built and just exudes quality! Now, my less than stellar cell phone pics are all I have as I had to try and hold a tape measure with one hand and iphone with the other, but you will get the idea anyway!

First up, a pic with the new banjo ... 317361

Then a pic with the original rest that came with the G0766. Even with my modification it sits 1/2" below center line.

317362 Note the 14" away from center.....this would go beyond the 22" swing of the lathe!

Next, here is a pic of both banjos on the bed, and on the original banjo I have my Robust low profile 6" rest in the hole.......note it is actually 10" from center, and the new Oneway banjo makes the original rest to sit 14" from center.

317363 I have to say I am impressed with the engineering on the Oneway banjo. The locking handle is a unique and strong mechanism that will pivot as it tightens down on the post, instead of a ratchet handle that has the potential of stripping out. This thing is actually overbuilt! :)

The part number is H0082 1640 banjo with 1.5 gap for the clamp plate. Even though it says for a 1640 lathe, this was designed to be used with the outboard bed extension and will give you actually 28" of swing capability! One more thing......the color almost exactly matches the paint on the bed of the lathe! :D

Can we say happy camper?!!! I am really glad I did this upgrade, as it just brings the 0766 up to its full capability!

Dok Yager
07-14-2015, 6:33 PM
Nice Roger! Thanks for the update and the correct part#. Looks like I have something else to buy :rolleyes:. Can you tell me where you purchased it? Dorect from Oneway or somewhere else?

Roger Chandler
07-14-2015, 7:09 PM
Nice Roger! Thanks for the update and the correct part#. Looks like I have something else to buy :rolleyes:. Can you tell me where you purchased it? Dorect from Oneway or somewhere else?
Direct from Oneway.........I called and spoke to their tech expert, and he walked me through the issue to this, and I could see by the pics of this one Vs. the 20" and 24" that they were too high and this one was similar in height to the banjo that came with the 0766.

The Robust rests really work super well with this banjo!

Dale Miner
07-14-2015, 9:01 PM
Direct from Oneway.........I called and spoke to their tech expert, and he walked me through the issue to this, and I could see by the pics of this one Vs. the 20" and 24" that they were too high and this one was similar in height to the banjo that came with the 0766.

The Robust rests really work super well with this banjo!

What does a Oneway banjo and shipping cost? I bought my 2436 used and it came with two banjos and am curious what the extra one runs.

Roger Chandler
07-14-2015, 9:15 PM
What does a Oneway banjo and shipping cost? I bought my 2436 used and it came with two banjos and am curious what the extra one runs.
This one was $249, and the 20" & 24" were $297, if I remember correctly Dale. C.A. Savoy has a 25% off sale right now on accessories, but wouldn't you know it, that I got that email a day after I had already ordered! :(

The shipping was $22.00.

David C. Roseman
07-14-2015, 9:44 PM
Very nice, Roger. Let's see:

G0766: $1,550
Oneway Banjo: $187 (after C.A.'s discount)
Robust tool rest: $69
Grand Total, net shipping, to turn deep 22" bowls and hollow forms inboard: $1,806

If I had any need at all for a bigger lathe, that would sure work for me. ;)

Roger Chandler
07-14-2015, 9:46 PM
Very nice, Roger. Let's see:

G0766: $1,550
Oneway Banjo: $187 (after C.A.'s discount)
Robust tool rest: $69
Grand Total, net shipping, to turn deep 22" bowls and hollow forms inboard: $1,806

If I had any need at all for a bigger lathe, that would sure work for me. ;)
But I got a 10% discount, and that knocked $155 off the original price............I'm okay with what I have spent! ;)

David C. Roseman
07-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Roger, actually, from your pics it looks like the original tool rest might have worked fine without being modified now that you have the Oneway banjo. Do you think if would? If yes, then my ciphering is off. Total: $1,737, even without a Grizzly coupon. :)

Roger Chandler
07-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Roger, actually, from your pics it looks like the original tool rest might have worked fine without being modified now that you have the Oneway banjo. Do you think if would? If yes, then my ciphering is off. Total: $1,737, even without a Grizzly coupon. :)

Well, as you can see in the pic I posted with the original rest in the new banjo, the modified original sits 1/2" below the centerline, which is borderline probably, but I would have to use a couple of bowl gouges to see if that would be good. I took 3/4" off mine down to the post, and if one has not modified theirs and used this banjo, they would need to likely take 1" off down to the post to work really well with this banjo.

The straight posts on the Robust rests are no issue.....they adjust vertically plenty well. I am likely to get a J-rest and perhaps an outside curve [not sure on that one] but that will come later. I have plenty of projects needed for the gallery and what I have will do fine. I just need some time to get to them.

Matt Schrum
07-15-2015, 7:27 AM
C.A. Savoy has a 25% off sale right now on accessories....

The shipping was $22.00.

My Google-fu is apparently not up to par this morning. Do they have a website you can order from? I can't seem to track down a link.

Roger Chandler
07-15-2015, 9:31 AM
My Google-fu is apparently not up to par this morning. Do they have a website you can order from? I can't seem to track down a link.

Matt.........here is his email. He is strictly Oneway. Send him an email inquiring about his 25% ad and he will send you the flyer by email and you can order. Everyone who does business with him speaks very highly! I had emailed him before I ever ordered my banjo, and he thought the 24" banjo would be right, but it is not, so make sure you get the one I mentioned above in this thread!

cadjsavoy@cox.net

(cadjsavoy@cox.net)

Tony De Masi
07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Roger, CA was not able to get the Oneway banjo at the 25% discount. I believe he WAS able to do 10% though.

Roger Chandler
07-15-2015, 1:14 PM
Roger, CA was not able to get the Oneway banjo at the 25% discount. I believe he WAS able to do 10% though.
Thanks for the info, Tony.....appreciated!

Dok Yager
07-15-2015, 6:31 PM
Ordered one today. However Oneway is closed for 2 weeks for cleanup and re-tooling she said, so the wait continues :D.

Tony French
07-16-2015, 4:10 PM
The part number is H0082 1640 banjo with 1.5 gap for the clamp plate. Even though it says for a 1640 lathe, this was designed to be used with the outboard bed extension and will give you actually 28" of swing capability! One more thing......the color almost exactly matches the paint on the bed of the lathe! :D

Hello Roger,
I have been following all of this with great interest and thank you for all of the information. I want to clarify something. If one just orders the H0082, does it come with the correct clamp plate? Or do you have to specify a non-standard plate. I am just not sure if the 1.5" gap is standard for the H0082. I have found other suppliers online that have the H0082 in stock, but not sure about this detail. Thanks!

Roger Chandler
07-16-2015, 5:41 PM
Hello Roger,
I have been following all of this with great interest and thank you for all of the information. I want to clarify something. If one just orders the H0082, does it come with the correct clamp plate? Or do you have to specify a non-standard plate. I am just not sure if the 1.5" gap is standard for the H0082. I have found other suppliers online that have the H0082 in stock, but not sure about this detail. Thanks!

For the Grizzly G0766 or G0733, both have 1.5" gap in the bed........same for the Laguna 18/47. If you have another brand of lathe, then take a measurement of what the gap is, and Oneway does sell various sizes for their banjo........it comes with it, but you have to specify the size.

Jon McElwain
07-17-2015, 4:00 PM
Well, the Oneway banjo I ordered as an aftermarket upgrade for my G0766 arrived this afternoon. Can I say SWEEEEEEET!!!??? :D:D:D

If you think the banjo is nice....

David C. Roseman
07-17-2015, 6:24 PM
If you think the banjo is nice....

Yep, too bad the lathe doesn't automatically come with it. :)

Shiraz Balolia
07-20-2015, 1:24 PM
Sorry - I do not normally view the Turner's forum, and was directed to this thread by an SMC member.

I hear the issues with serious turners and would like to fix them to make the G0766 be able to do more. Can someone send me rough dimensions of what how much longer the Banjo and the tool rest need to be? Don't worry about the heft - we will make them heavy duty.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2015, 1:36 PM
Sorry - I do not normally view the Turner's forum, and was directed to this thread by an SMC member.

I hear the issues with serious turners and would like to fix them to make the G0766 be able to do more. Can someone send me rough dimensions of what how much longer the Banjo and the tool rest need to be? Don't worry about the heft - we will make them heavy duty.

Mr. Balolia.........first off, thank you so much for replying to this thread! :)

The dimensions for a correctly sized banjo for a 22" swing lathe would be where it would extend 12" from the centerline of the lathe. That would mean the long part of the banjo that sits on the bed ways should have at least 12.75" inside travel to make the full 22" swing and allow one to position the rest to handle the bulk of a large piece.

The height of the post support on the banjo that came with the 0766 is okay, but the toolrest itself sits a little too high in the thing due to the fact the part that has the step milled in it to make the post is too long.......if you took the same rest, and milled another 5/8" down to the post diameter of 25 mm, then the rest could sit lower in the banjo and be able to properly use a bowl gouge.........the one that came with the 0766 only sits 1/4" below center, which is too tall.

So in short, I think the banjo base should be extended to about 13-14" in length, and the post on the rest should be lengthened by milling down the existing dimensions of the stepped area an additional 5/8" inch........that would put the rest sitting at 7/8" below the center line which is the same specs as on the Powermatic 3520b lathe.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further need to discuss this, I would be more than happy to speak to you by phone, if you will send me a private message on this forum with contact info......but Grizzly has my contact info including phone number and email address.

Thanks so much!

Roger Chandler

Shiraz Balolia
07-20-2015, 1:59 PM
Thank you, Roger.

We will draw one up and post it for critique. That way, you turning experts can weigh in.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2015, 2:28 PM
Thank you, Roger.

We will draw one up and post it for critique. That way, you turning experts can weigh in.

Great idea, Sir! I think you will have a solid unit that will fill a need in the large lathe category, and you will also engender good will towards your company. I applaud your efforts!

hu lowery
07-20-2015, 2:44 PM
Thank you, Roger.

I purchased the 766 in March and received it a few weeks ago. Packaging issues were a reason it was shipped back, the headstock assembly took quite a battering, but I was also very concerned about the short banjo and why it was on the lathe.

I have held the position of mechanical designer before retirement some years ago. A new banjo would need to be roughly four to five inches longer than the current one to both allow a swing that matches the spindle height and sits securely on both ways of the lathe. Since the banjo may not always be positioned at a perfect ninety degree angle to the lathe a little extra length is always prudent when a revision is being done anyway.

Another consideration might be to make the tool rest opening the more standard one inch size instead of 25mm. A small change that would probably please many customers. I have ran Grizzly metal equipment in a light industrial environment and know Grizzly produces solid equipment. I look forward to being able to purchase the 766 again, this time with a banjo capable of doing work I had committed to before my earlier purchase.

Thank you very much for responding to our concerns!

Hu Lowery

daryl moses
07-20-2015, 3:28 PM
Thank you, Roger.

Now that is what I call GREAT customer service. I don't even own a G0766 [I do own a G0733 though] but attention to customer requests is what will lead me purchase more Grizzly products in the future.

Cary Falk
07-20-2015, 3:56 PM

WOW!!! That is beyond Awesome. Thank you Mr. Balolia.

Sparky Paessler
07-20-2015, 4:06 PM

Glad to see they are looking at fixing it. Wish I had read this a couple of hours ago. I had just emailed customer service and got the standard reply this morning that they were not going to fix it and just ordered a Oneway banjo. Oh well at least if they ship us a new banjo I will then have a spare.

Mark Greenbaum
07-20-2015, 4:06 PM

Dear Mr. Balolia:

I wrote to your CSR and added (preferably Papa Grizzly) to the email. I have been in communication with them, and the replies have not been favorable to the re-designing or replacement of the banjo or tool rests. I hope your posting here negates those emails. I do thank you for your attention to this forum, and there are many great turners here who are jazzed and confident this product can be a real contender in the marketplace. With the Banjo and Tool Rest modifications this will be THE product to beat in the future. I will be receiving mine next week, and I am excited.

Randy Red Bemont
07-20-2015, 4:10 PM

I hope Grizzly can come up with a proper banjo and tool rest for the 0766 lathe. I've been back and forth with Grizzly customer service and have basically been told that what ships with the lathe is acceptable and that's as far as they're (Grizzly) going with it. This is from an email earlier today.

It is a great lathe but needs to get this issue resolved and I thank you Mr. Balolia for taking an active interest in this issue.

Red

Matt Schrum
07-20-2015, 4:25 PM
I hope Grizzly can come up with a proper banjo and tool rest for the 0766 lathe. I've been back and forth with Grizzly customer service and have basically been told that what ships with the lathe is acceptable and that's as far as they're (Grizzly) going with it. This is from an email earlier today.
d

I emailed Grizzly about the banjo as well and just received an email back about an hour ago. I'm not sure if the CS rep was aware the banjo is the tool rest holder and not the tool rest as he worked in and rephrased a couple of times that the tool rest is within spec, safe and as advertised. He even said:

"You may return an item within 30 days of purchase for a refund or exchange. Returned merchandise must be new, unused, and in its original packaging, and is subject to inspection upon its return. Please be aware that all non-defective returns may warrant a 10% restocking fee, and may not qualify for shipping reimbursement." -- which to me means "tough luck, return it if you don't like it", although that's my interpretation.

Regardless, he made no mention of the banjo, so I replied back clarifying my issue and asking what they are doing to remedy the situation.

Fingers crossed they address this.

hu lowery
07-20-2015, 6:04 PM
To those wondering how much authority Mr. Balolia totes and how much weight to put behind his word, a quick look on the website confirmed what I thought I knew, he is founder and president of Grizzly. If he says something is going to happen I think we can take it to the bank. I am very excited about the 766 again. Hopefully Mr. Balolia also notes there have been serious issues with shipping damage and far too many lathes coming with components rattling around loose while we have his attention.

Looking good! My overall impression of this lathe is that it was quite beefy judging by appearances of the bed and legs. I was afraid of hidden issues due to that vastly undersized banjo. A full sized banjo will lay that fear to rest and I'll buy another 766 without hesitation. It is a lot of lathe for the dollars if the initial issues are tended to.

Hu

Ralph Lindberg
07-20-2015, 7:03 PM
S Balolia (Papa Griz) response is in-line with every on-line response I have seen from him through the years.
If there is a real problem, he wants it fixed

Two stores: I've related the story of my brief meeting with him before, where he told the staff to sell me the item at the advertised price, even though the sale started the next day (the flyer probably shouldn't have been down on the sales floor a day early)
The other, my wife ordered an "oak" tool box to store some sewing items in, she knew it would be oak veneer, but when it arrived some of the drawers insides (and only some) were not veneered. She sent it back and CS started waffling about it. We got a call from a CS rep where she started out a little belligerent about the return. I mentioned I was glad she had finally called back as I was about to call "PapaGrizz" and tell him CS wasn't returning our calls .... With the mention of the phrase PapaGrizz everything changed!

I would expect the 2nd generation banjo to fix these concerns.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2015, 7:19 PM
I had never seen an online response that he has made before now.......there may have been some, but I was not personally aware of any. For him to come on this forum and address these issues tells me he is a stand up guy. That he cares about his customers. I think a word from him, sent down the chain to CS and tech would change the tone some of their responses have had.........just let everyone down the chain know, hey, we are going to work on this and get a new part produced, so give everyone who calls a positive response that when they are made, they will be shipped to every person who purchased the 0766, and send a correct height toolrest as well!

That would make this 100% on the banjo/rest issue. If they will tighten up on the QC inspections and shipping of loose parts, then their stock will rise in a hurry!

Keith Outten
07-20-2015, 7:58 PM
Roger,

Shiraz Balolia (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?5851-Shiraz-Balolia) has 391 posts here, as he said he doesn't visit the Turners Forum very often but he is frequently in the General Woodworking Forum.

David C. Roseman
07-20-2015, 8:12 PM
I had never seen an online response that he has made before now.......there may have been some, but I was not personally aware of any. For him to come on this forum and address these issues tells me he is a stand up guy. That he cares about his customers.[snip]

Hey Roger, you need to get out more, over to the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum! :D As Keith says, Mr. Balolia has posted there many times, often to give input on the Grizzly machines he has the most personal experience with in his own hobbies. He is an outstanding guitar maker, and a very accomplished competitive marksman. So he especially knows bandsaws, planers, thickness sanders, and metalworking machines for gunsmithing, to name but a few. Don't know if he has an interest in taking up woodturning, but if he were to do it, he would no doubt be good at it. :)

Roger Chandler
07-20-2015, 8:46 PM
Roger,

Shiraz Balolia (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?5851-Shiraz-Balolia) has 391 posts here, as he said he doesn't visit the Turners Forum very often but he is frequently in the General Woodworking Forum.

Thanks Keith and David, as well. I had seen his guitars shown on the website and on their catalog. It is obvious the man knows his woodworking as being able to do high quality luthier work requires a lot of skill.

I am just glad he cares about his customers, and can put to rest feelings that some had they did not get what was advertised, so when he corrects these minor things, he will be all the more well thought of! Sometimes things get lost in translation with oversees manufacturers, I would imagine........I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt! :)

Randy Red Bemont
07-21-2015, 7:07 AM
I'm glad the ball is "turning" in the right direction. It makes me feel much better.

Red

hu lowery
07-21-2015, 8:20 AM
. . .

I am just glad he cares about his customers, and can put to rest feelings that some had they did not get what was advertised, so when he corrects these minor things, he will be all the more well thought of! Sometimes things get lost in translation with oversees manufacturers, I would imagine........I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt! :)

Roger,

None of us got what was represented. That is why you bought a new banjo. However, it seems that this was unintentional and will be corrected. I have been burned to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars several times. Once that has happened along with some lesser burns that were still in the thousands you get less willing to take chances on others' mistakes to your disadvantage being innocent accidents. I drove 3500 miles round trip to correct one burn and was going to drive around 1500 miles on two different occasions to correct a couple other burns. When the people realized they would be looking at me on their doorstep they corrected things themselves. I get my ducks in a row and cover my butt!

I wish I had my 766 sitting here and wasn't looking at two days of very hard work to put it back in place again. However, I don't regret covering my tail again. I have been disabled and on a fixed income for twenty-five years. $1500 isn't a small burn these days and unless Grizzly came through with the longer banjo I would have always had grave doubts about the safety of using a longer one.

I'm very glad for myself and everybody concerned including Grizzly that it is working out the way it is. They are going from a PR nightmare to a customer service homerun! I do think that is because of customer's raising enough noise that Mr. Balolia intervened. This is a win for everyone, customers who make noise when they are unhappy with legitimate cause, Grizzly for showing they can be responsive to legitimate issues, Mr. Balolia for being on top of his business issues. Grizzly will more than recoup costs of changes in customer satisfaction and increased sales. No losers here and that is always nice!

Hu

Dok Yager
07-21-2015, 9:37 AM

Thank You Mr. Balolia for taking the time to address this issue! I too was given the boiler plate answer that this is correct and won`t be changed. I have said before I that I truly believe The G0766 is a world class lathe and can hold it`s own with anyone. Minor shipping issues and the "banjo" issue aside. Once these are addressed This IS a superb lathe! Thank you again for your attention to this.

David DeCristoforo
07-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Apparently being able to make a good guitar does not mean you can also make a good banjo...:rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
07-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Apparently being able to make a good guitar does not mean you can also make a good banjo...:rolleyes:

That was funny, DD!

Roger Chandler
07-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Roger,

None of us got what was represented. That is why you bought a new banjo. However, it seems that this was unintentional and will be corrected. I have been burned to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars several times. Once that has happened along with some lesser burns that were still in the thousands you get less willing to take chances on others' mistakes to your disadvantage being innocent accidents. I drove 3500 miles round trip to correct one burn and was going to drive around 1500 miles on two different occasions to correct a couple other burns. When the people realized they would be looking at me on their doorstep they corrected things themselves. I get my ducks in a row and cover my butt!

I wish I had my 766 sitting here and wasn't looking at two days of very hard work to put it back in place again. However, I don't regret covering my tail again. I have been disabled and on a fixed income for twenty-five years. $1500 isn't a small burn these days and unless Grizzly came through with the longer banjo I would have always had grave doubts about the safety of using a longer one.

I'm very glad for myself and everybody concerned including Grizzly that it is working out the way it is. They are going from a PR nightmare to a customer service homerun! I do think that is because of customer's raising enough noise that Mr. Balolia intervened. This is a win for everyone, customers who make noise when they are unhappy with legitimate cause, Grizzly for showing they can be responsive to legitimate issues, Mr. Balolia for being on top of his business issues. Grizzly will more than recoup costs of changes in customer satisfaction and increased sales. No losers here and that is always nice!

Hu

,I think you pretty much summed it up nicely, Hu! This experience for Grizzly at least will make them better, and as customers we should get satisfaction.

I thought about you yesterday, with all you went thru for placing the 0766 there in your shop and then taking it back out. Hopefully, once they get the process in place for replacements to be sent out, you can place your order again.

Walter Mooney
07-21-2015, 3:26 PM
I was on the phone with a gentleman at Grizzly's Technical Support group about an hour ago. I received my G0766 a little over week ago, and the crate was in shambles. Contents had clearly shifted -- part of the handwheel for the tailstock was sticking out of one end of the crate :confused:, and the styrofoam blocking that had been between the motor and the crate was sticking out of the bottom of the other end panel on the crate! One of the bolts that was supposed (I guess) to be restraining the tailstock during shipping was laying on the bottom of the crate. The other bolt was loose and thus did not restrain anything. There were several other things as well. But, I just had to know if it had survived despite these issues. I unpacked and assembled the lathe, turned it on, and found noticeable run-out in the spindle. There was also run-out in the live center.

I sent an email to GCS, with pictures, detailing every issue, and got back a form letter that showed a complete disconnect from what I had sent them -- as though my email had not been read. I called CS yesterday, who sent me to TS, who told me to have a list of parts I would need to fix the issues. I didn't have the manual in front of me. Studied it last night, called them today (brought it with me), and after getting my replacement parts ordered, I complained to the TS person about the tool rest height issue and the banjo issue. I got the response that many here have gotten -- "they" had gotten together about this, and "they" say both "meet specs", and thus there would not be any resolution to this design flaw. I get off the phone, go to SMC, and lo and behold see this thread and read it. WOW! I now have the feeling that there will be a resolution thanks to Mr. Balolia!:) So to you, Mr. Balolia, I say thank you very much. I look forward to a speedy resolution of this issue......

I'm not real happy about having to repair/rebuild a critical component of my brand new lathe, but the resolution of that issue is for another thread at another time. Stay tuned!

hu lowery
07-21-2015, 4:08 PM
,I think you pretty much summed it up nicely, Hu! This experience for Grizzly at least will make them better, and as customers we should get satisfaction.

I thought about you yesterday, with all you went thru for placing the 0766 there in your shop and then taking it back out. Hopefully, once they get the process in place for replacements to be sent out, you can place your order again.

Roger,

As soon as I see the new banjo design and read how they plan to deal with existing owners I will either order a 766 or wait until the new banjo is on them if that is what I have to do. Definitely want the longer banjo. However, unlike a lot of people thinking about the 766 I have laid hands on one and at least turned it on although I never mounted anything on it.

The things I liked I really liked! A lot of the varying noise levels may be due to belt tension although I know that isn't the only issue people have had. I had some belt noise initially, after running the lathe awhile and swapping the belt from pulley to pulley playing around to see the maximum and minimum RPM's shown on the readout I adjusted the belt just a little snugger than motor weight since there was some drag on the motor bolts and I didn't want to meddle with them. The result was a whisper quiet lathe up to a medium speed, very moderate noise above that.

One thing that is pretty easy to do is have the belt one notch out of position and the edge of it hanging over the pulley, possibly another cause of noise not related to machine issues.

I'll be very glad to have my green and gray machine back! I never did like that mustard color anyway. ;)

Hu

PS: David, that is just evil! I did laugh out loud for real though. :D

Matt Schrum
07-21-2015, 6:01 PM
I just received the following-- word moved down from the top of the chain quickly!

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We feel customer input is a valuable source of information as we continually strive to improve the quality of our equipment and service. We are working with the factory to fix the issue regarding the tool rest base and tool rest height. We are having a new tool rest base casting made that will be 5” longer and 1/2” shorter. This will take care of both the swing and height concerns. Once we receive the new tool rest bases, we will be shipping them out at no charge. Please note that this will take a few months to be cast, machined, and arrive from the factory.

Mark Greenbaum
07-21-2015, 7:33 PM
I sure hope we all get that letter. It would warm my heart to know that Grizzly takes pride in its customer relations. So few companies anymore care beyond the initial sale. Thanks for posting Matt.

I just received the following-- word moved down from the top of the chain quickly!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We feel customer input is a valuable source of information as we continually strive to improve the quality of our equipment and service. We are working with the factory to fix the issue regarding the tool rest base and tool rest height. We are having a new tool rest base casting made that will be 5” longer and 1/2” shorter. This will take care of both the swing and height concerns. Once we receive the new tool rest bases, we will be shipping them out at no charge. Please note that this will take a few months to be cast, machined, and arrive from the factory.

Dok Yager
07-21-2015, 7:38 PM

This is great news! Even if it takes a number of months at least they are aware and trying to resolve the issue. Thank you Mr. Balolia!!

Shiraz Balolia
07-21-2015, 7:53 PM
This is great news! Even if it takes a number of months at least they are aware and trying to resolve the issue. Thank you Mr. Balolia!!

No, "Thank you", fellas! If it wasn't for this thread we would not have had the best and acceptable fix.

Rather than do a banjo only 3" longer, we decided on a 5" longer one in case it was used in a slightly angled position on the lathe bed. Rather than make a new tool post we decided to lower the banjo post so the tool post can sit lower. Our Engineering department is drawing it up and making sure that the casting thickness underneath the banjo is beefy enough. As soon as I have a drawing I will post it.

Our distribution manager is also reviewing the packaging, again, to make sure that damage is reduced. Cannot guarantee 100% damage free as there are certain sub-carrier terminals that have people that just don't care. Anytime there is a damage, we lose money, so we have a financial interest in making sure machines reach their destination intact.

Mike haines
07-21-2015, 8:23 PM
This is great news. My machine arrived last week with minor scuffing. I love this lathe and look forward to a new banjo. Thank you

Rick Bailey
07-21-2015, 8:42 PM
Outstanding news,
I've been watching all the post on this lathe and now the G0766 will be my 9th grizzly in my shop.:)
My G1495 has been a good lathe, I feel I have out grown it.
I just hope the price will hold till I can get my tax return.:rolleyes:
Thank you Mr Balolia:D

hu lowery
07-21-2015, 9:15 PM
No, "Thank you", fellas! If it wasn't for this thread we would not have had the best and acceptable fix.

Rather than do a banjo only 3" longer, we decided on a 5" longer one in case it was used in a slightly angled position on the lathe bed. Rather than make a new tool post we decided to lower the banjo post so the tool post can sit lower. Our Engineering department is drawing it up and making sure that the casting thickness underneath the banjo is beefy enough. As soon as I have a drawing I will post it.

Our distribution manager is also reviewing the packaging, again, to make sure that damage is reduced. Cannot guarantee 100% damage free as there are certain sub-carrier terminals that have people that just don't care. Anytime there is a damage, we lose money, so we have a financial interest in making sure machines reach their destination intact.

Mr. Balolia,

This should be perfect! I'm going to wait thirty days to give those of you at Grizzly a chance to encourage the people doing the packaging to do a little better job and that to trickle down to the shipping floor then I'll place my order again. I was thinking if I wanted my ideal banjo it would be five inches longer, that is plenty adequate for any normal situation. Lowering the top of the banjo is a fine way to address the toolpost issue too, without modifying two parts.

Thank you again for being responsive to your customers. It is much appreciated!

Hu

Roger Chandler
07-21-2015, 9:59 PM

Just got in from one of our club meetings, and am so glad to hear what you are proposing here, Mr. Bololia! A question comes to mind about how you will deal with those who have the G0766 already in their shops. Will you automatically send one out to each purchaser, and put the new design on the unit going forward?

Thank you for your attention to these elements of this lathe ......the proposed changes you have mentioned should serve the unit and your customers well! :)

Mark Greenbaum
07-21-2015, 11:21 PM
WOW - What a great Forum this is. I located this in a search to find info on the new G0766, and it's turned into the best resource for me. Thanks Mr Bololia, and Roger, and all of the contributors to these threads.

Sid Matheny
07-22-2015, 12:11 AM
No wonder there are so many happy Grizzly users, myself included!

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2015, 10:33 AM
A question comes to mind about how you will deal with those who have the G0766 already in their shops. Will you automatically send one out to each purchaser, and put the new design on the unit going forward?

The plan is to send all the existing owners the new banjo body as well as the locking "L" shaped wrench. That way, they can use the hardware and small parts from their old Banjo to have a complete unit. The tool post remains the same.

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Here's the drawing of the new proposed Banjo.

http://i58.tinypic.com/10g0mt1.jpg

Sparky Paessler
07-22-2015, 10:40 AM
The plan is to send all the existing owners the new banjo body as well as the locking "L" shaped wrench. That way, they can use the hardware and small parts from their old Banjo to have a complete unit. The tool post remains the same.

Thank you for coming up with a good fix for this issue! I had a chance to turn on mine last night and this is a great lathe (especially for the cost). The new banjo will fix the major issue with it! Thanks again!

Mark Greenbaum
07-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Thank you, sir. This should make us all very happy, and proud to be Grizzly customers. This shows how connected you are to the customer base.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

This looks good to me, and I measured the current banjo that came with the 0766, and it is only 11.5 inches long on the base. At our club meeting last night, I measured the banjo on the clubs 3520b.......it is a little over 18 inches, so this is right where it should be. Kudos to you and your team, Mr. Bololia!

hu lowery
07-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Mr. Balolia,

This looks very good. The dimensions are missing a couple but making estimates it seems that when the tool rest is out eleven inches we will still have a slight protrusion beyond the back way. While this is best for maximum strength corners are often cut here by many manufacturers. You are remedying an issue some had with the lathe and also jumping ahead of much of your competition. Assuming adequate strength in the cross section which I have no reason to doubt, this will be a fine banjo. I noticed this was accomplished while keeping this banjo quite low over the bed also, very good!

The toolrest height only listed at 10.14+ is a minor concern but I would assume that it wouldn't be greater than another tenth of an inch worst case at minimum extension which will work fine. Perhaps this dimension means 10.14 when in the lowest position?

The other measurement that would be nice is the distance from either end of the banjo to the inside lip of the tool rest when the tool rest is perpendicular to the banjo. I just took a guess that it is approximately two inches from the end to come up with my numbers but while we are looking this over it would be nice to have that number.

A question related to my personal situation, will I be able to get the new banjo or paperwork authorizing me to receive the new banjo if I reorder a 766 in about thirty days as I have expressed interest in? I am ready to order one today as far as any structural concerns I have had but I do need the new banjo and as I have mentioned, I want to give time for the third party packaging to hopefully be improved. Almost all of the locking hardware to keep things in place was in the bottom of the crate. I had to guess and in some cases assemble my own design to try to secure the lathe for return. To put things another way, when should I order another 766 to be sure of receiving a new design banjo when they are available.

I believe with this change the 766 is easily the best lathe under $2000. Certainly the best I have seen. I am excited to be a 766 owner again.

Hu

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2015, 11:44 AM
10.14+ means that it can be raised higher, but 10.14" at its lowest level, which is what a lot of customers have requested.

The side protrusions you see on the banjo are where the casting has been thickened and what will give it the extra strength. Anyone that orders a G0766 will get one of the new banjos when they arrive.

We will try to improve the packaging on what we have in stock currently as well as improve it at factory for future shipments.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 12:29 PM
10.14" above the bed ways does translates to near 7/8" below center line......so that is what I think is the "sweet spot" for the toolrest to sit when bottomed out for a cut, and this will allow for a range that is good for both bowl gouges doing shear cuts and for spindle work with spindle gouges as it can be raised to center line or a bit higher if needed.

Now that I went to that trouble up front to have my rest machined a bit more by taking material off the step area on the rest, I guess mine will sit much too low now! :eek: I would not have done that had I known Grizzly would entertain this improvement! Oh well, such as is the case for someone who was an early adopter of this new unit and tried to help by showing pics of the modification I had done on it....:D:(

I am just so glad that Mr. Balolia and his team have made this adaptation and has made it a 100% 22" swing lathe! :)

Belton Garvin
07-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm not at home to look at my lathe, but just want to make sure the lowered banjo section won't be so low that it wouldn't accommodate other tool rests. I, as well as others have the robust tool rest and had to get the "long post" versions. I accidently purchased a 16-18 Robust rest locally and at it's tallest wouldn't reach high enough.

Roger, I know you have the same rests and cold verify if you have the time. I'll look at mine when I get home tonight.

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm not at home to look at my lathe, but just want to make sure the lowered banjo section won't be so low that it wouldn't accommodate other tool rests. I, as well as others have the robust tool rest and had to get the "long post" versions. I accidently purchased a 16-18 Robust rest locally and at it's tallest wouldn't reach high enough.

Couldn't you put an appropriate sized thickness spacer (like an oversized washer) to raise up the tool rests that sit too low?

Randy Red Bemont
07-22-2015, 1:07 PM
Mr. Balolia I'm excited to hear that Grizzly is redesigning the banjo issue and will get a replacement to all us 0766 owners. That is awesome to hear. Thank you for personally getting involved with this issue. I do appreciate it. The 0766 is a great lathe and it will be a top seller for Grizzly. Thank you.

Red

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 1:17 PM

Roger, I know you have the same rests and cold verify if you have the time. I'll look at mine when I get home tonight.

Belton......here are a couple of pics with the Robust 15" comfort rest [long post] in the original banjo on the 0766. with the rest post maxed out in its highest position and still held solidly, the top edge of the rest sits 1/2" above centerline. If they take 1/2" off the top of the banjo post support, then it will work, if they take more then, it might be a problem.

Grizzly is responding to this later than myself or a relatively few turners did on our own. I do not know that they can make a modification that will suit every single person, but can make a modification to suit all those who did not alter their tool rest like myself. I accept that. I don't think they are obligated to try to meet any needs that I have created for myself by adding aftermarket parts, even though I did it because the original was not up to snuff, and I needed to get on with using the lathe, and did not know whether or not they would change anything in the beginning when I first got the unit. I will live with that if I need to.

I also noticed that of the 3 Robust rests I have, one the 15" comfort rest, one the 12" inside curve rest, and one 6" low profile rest I already had with my other lathe, the G0698, that the tool rest posts on those are not all the exact same length even though they are all supposed to be long post. Yours may be longer than mine, or a smidgen shorter.......I suppose it depends on who cut the post metal on a given day. My 12 inside curve post is 1/4" shorter than my 15" comfort rest.

317891 317892

Belton Garvin
07-22-2015, 1:41 PM
Couldn't you put an appropriate sized thickness spacer (like an oversized washer) to raise up the tool rests that sit too low?

Mr Balolia,
My concern was that the after market tool rests that I have wouldn't be long enough to tighten in the banjo. It's just speculation at this point as I'm not home to see how far my rest extend into the current banjo. As Roger stated, Not really your issue at this point just wanted to bring it up during the design phase. We appreciate all that you are doing at this point.

I'll measure mine when I get home and it may not even be an issue to be concerned with at all.

Rogers pictures show perfectly how the Robust rests sit in the banjo with no shoulder to stop them from being lowered all the way like the stock rest from Grizzly.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 1:52 PM
As far as the Robust rests with the long post ......if the banjo post support area is taken down lower to make the original rest sit lower, then the issue for the Robust rests is the ability to tighten them down in the banjo due to the hole where the handle that tightens the rest, will be put, as they will be at the end of the post on the Robust rests.

I have no complaints with the proposed solution you have posted, Mr. Balolia......it is not your problem that I invested in aftermarket parts to make this lathe a full 22" swing.......the fact that you are doing the modification that you propose here is all you are actually obligated to do in my personal opinion.

Is it ideal for me personally? Perhaps not, but I will be just fine with your modification, although I would not mind getting another rest to go with the new banjo, just to make it be back to your specs, since I did take 3/4" off the step area on the original.........I can pay for that if you feel it is appropriate. ;)

hu lowery
07-22-2015, 2:19 PM
10.14+ means that it can be raised higher, but 10.14" at its lowest level, which is what a lot of customers have requested.

The side protrusions you see on the banjo are where the casting has been thickened and what will give it the extra strength. Anyone that orders a G0766 will get one of the new banjos when they arrive.

We will try to improve the packaging on what we have in stock currently as well as improve it at factory for future shipments.

Mr. Balolia,

You have completely addressed all of my concerns. Much appreciated and I will get another 766 on order shortly. With twenty-two inches of usable swing now you have a real winner on your hands. Summertime on the farm will keep me busy a week or three and then when I see a window of time to install the new machine I'll order it about a week before I am ready for it.

Thank you again for getting personally involved. When I first ordered a machine that nobody had seen yet I said I was confident that Grizzly would deal with any issues. Very nice to be proven correct!

Hu

Doug Ladendorf
07-22-2015, 2:48 PM
Good management from the top. Bravo!

Bill Boehme
07-22-2015, 4:57 PM
I have a different lathe that allows me to drop the toolrest height more than three inches below centerline and raise it about 1½" above centerline. This a bit more than What I have actually needed, but not by a lot. I frequently drop the tool handle very low ... more than 60° below level when shear cutting or shear scraping. This means that the tool rest top needs to be a couple inches below center and also that the toolrest design doesn't interfere with being able to do this. To me the banjo design with the shortened vertical column limits the adjustment range too much. It would be better to have a redesigned toolrest that enables it to be dropped lower in the vertical column of the banjo. For large diameter spindle work, it is often necessary to be able to move the toolrest well above centerline in order to have a comfortable tool position.

Michael Mason
07-22-2015, 5:47 PM
I have hesitated to comment on this thread and leave it to the people who have or want this lathe but I hate not to point this out. If using a coring system ( McNaughton is the one I have), one might should check and see how long their tool posts are. They might have one plenty long for this redesigned banjo, I don't know. I would hate for someone to run into issues later on if they get in to coring. If one has only an inch or two of the post in the banjo and gets a massive catch with a coring tool, something will give. Just something to think about. It may or may not pertain here.

Just to be clear, my concern is with lowering the height of the banjo.

John Keeton
07-22-2015, 6:18 PM
For the same reasons just stated, it would seem the far better remedy would be a longer and beefier banjo, with the same or more height as the OEM, and a retooled rest. While they are at it - make it a 1" post.

lynn cranmer
07-22-2015, 7:27 PM
I just got off the phone with Grizzly. The new redesigned banjo will not be available for at least two months. All lathes ordered before that time will have the new banjo shipped to them at a later date.

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2015, 7:35 PM

The revised banjo design works perfectly with the tool rest supplied with the machine. The standard tool rest has the same amount of post inside the banjo and will be a straight slip-in. Like someone said, we will not be able to please everyone that has modified or bought other tool rests to go on our lathe. We try our best, but............................

Thanks for all the input.

David C. Roseman
07-22-2015, 7:57 PM
All - I just noticed that this thread is only eight days old, yet already has 3,433 views and counting. I'm guessing that may be an SMC record. :)

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 8:33 PM
All - I just noticed that this thread is only eight days old, yet already has 3,433 views and counting. I'm guessing that may be an SMC record. :)
I think this and other threads related to the G0766 is indicative of the interest in this unit.

Bob Bergstrom
07-22-2015, 10:51 PM
I have hesitated to comment on this thread and leave it to the people who have or want this lathe but I hate not to point this out. If using a coring system ( McNaughton is the one I have), one might should check and see how long their tool posts are. They might have one plenty long for this redesigned banjo, I don't know. I would hate for someone to run into issues later on if they get in to coring. If one has only an inch or two of the post in the banjo and gets a massive catch with a coring tool, something will give. Just something to think about. It may or may not pertain here.

The McNaughton comes with a quite long post. It comes from Craft Supply with a 6" post. I have a second post for a
jet 1642 that is 3". 6" work well on Powermatic. Either will work on a Robust.

Rick Bailey
07-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Hi guys,
Can any one tell me what the length and height of the bed is?
Trying to see if I have the room in my shop for this beast.:D
Thanks,
Rick

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks,
Rick
You can find those dimensions on the webpage @Grizzly.com. Go to lathes, then G0766, there is a spec sheet and manual link.

Sparky Paessler
07-23-2015, 7:01 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks,
Rick

The bed is 66" long. The motor sticks out over the end 11 1/4" when it is all the way to the end. Bed height is 36 3/4". Height to the center line of the spindle is 47 3/4". Total height is 51". Legs front to back 22"

Sparky Paessler
07-23-2015, 8:02 AM
The revised banjo design works perfectly with the tool rest supplied with the machine. The standard tool rest has the same amount of post inside the banjo and will be a straight slip-in. Like someone said, we will not be able to please everyone that has modified or bought other tool rests to go on our lathe. We try our best, but............................

Thanks for all the input.

I have great concerns with shortening the height of the banjo. While it will work well with the supplied rest the Grizzly rest is not a standard size. Most turners have several different rest of various shapes and sizes for doing specific applications. if the banjo is shortened most of those rest with "standard long posts" will not work or will only have 3/4" or so of the post in the banjo which is an unsafe condition. I would think a much better fix would be to actually raise the height of the banjo an 1" or so that way more aftermarket rests will work in it correctly and safely. You would also have to machine up higher on the shaft of the Grizzly toolrest so that it also fit into the banjo at the correct height. While this would mean extra cost it would make the lathe fit current "standards". I think that would help you sell a lot more lathes if standard accessories would fit it. I have attached a picture of a very common aftermarket rest (Robust 12" with long post) that fits almost all 24" and 20" lathes but if you shorten the banjo it would not fit the 766 safely. As it is now only 1" is in the banjo which I don't think is a safe situation really. If turners only used one toolrest to turn then making it fit your toolrest would be a good fix but most use several different kinds. Just my opinion! I am glad you are fixing the length of the banjo and if you do shorten it then I will drill the toolrest hole out larger and machine an extension and braze in into the hole to give support at a height where I would like it but not all turners have the capability to do that. Thanks for at least listening and for making tools that the common man can afford!

Roger Chandler
07-23-2015, 8:17 AM
I think Sparky has a valid point here.........while lowering the top of the banjo post support will allow for the original rest to be at proper height, it also creates problems for using any other aftermarket rest with the 0766. While there is no doubt an effort to minimize the cost of having to machine two parts instead of one, the best solution is the dimensions on the bottom that has been shown in the drawing, but leave the post support in the banjo at the current height or even a bit higher and then machine the post on the tool rest up a bit........it might not be cheaper for Grizzly, but if they would do that, it would be the best solution for the turners who bought the lathe.

If cost is a real factor here, then perhaps raising the price a little to accommodate the extra machining might be necessary, although there will likely be some who don't want to pay any extra. I would rather see the ideal of leaving the upper post support on the banjo, rather than limit the banjo's capability to use any aftermarket rest, by cutting how tall it is down to fit the current rest. Grizzly would be helping the customer and themselves in the long run if they did this in my humble opinion........although as I said in the earlier post, they are not obligated, but it would be a classy thing to do!

Matt Schrum
07-23-2015, 8:26 AM
If they raised the banjo so third party rests would still work, could they use the G0632 tool rest (part P0632008)? I know they sent this rest to me as a quick fix replacement (for the "tool rest is too high" issue) and it is noticeably shorter than the stock rest. I don't have my lathe in front of me to measure, but they could probably add an inch on to the banjo and still get the G0632 rest to work.

Doug Ladendorf
07-23-2015, 8:35 AM
You guys raise an excellent point about the banjo post support height. It was in the back of my mind when seeing the rendering. You guys will need to live with whatever solution is made so I hope you get a second draft. I don't see a collar on other tool rests so I'm not sure why it's there anyway, limiting as it is.

Sparky Paessler
07-23-2015, 8:48 AM
It would be interesting to find out the measurement from the spindle centerline to the top of the banjo tool rest support post on a Robust, Oneway, Powermatic, etc to see if there is a typical length for the larger (20" and 24") lathes. This is the height I would shoot for if I was Grizzly so that standard accessories would fit. I would then make the supplied tool rest fit that. Anyone want to measure their lathes?

Brian Myers
07-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Frankly if cost is a concern for Grizzly which it probably is then they really should just do the banjo correctly and let the buyer absorb the cost of the tool post. You aren't going to get away with just the one tool post and how many owners of this lathe are going to replace the original cast iron tool post with something from Robust etc. anyway ? The cost of a straight tool post is a lot cheaper than the cost of buying an aftermarket banjo to get this lathe to where it should be. On a lathe this large you do want the option to be able to use a corer safely or other accessories that are out there. That's far more important than a single tool post. The lathe is only a starting point for a turner but it needs to be compatible with what else is available from other companies or it loses it appeal to potential buyers. If I was in the position of being able to upgrade to this lathe and readily would if I could , I would find this an acceptable trade off for a lathe this large at it's current steal of a price.

Belton Garvin
07-23-2015, 10:27 AM
This is what I was trying to articulate yesterday. I know my aftermarket tools rest didn't seat very far into the current G0766 banjo. I didn't measure mine when I got home due tot the response be Mr. Balolia about proceeding with the renewed design. While I feel he doesn't have the responsibility to alter the new design to fit aftermarket items...I do think it would be in Grizzly's best interest and interest of current owners. The only limitation of having a slightly taller banjo, is the ability to work with currently shipped tool rest.

Sparky Paessler
07-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Frankly if cost is a concern for Grizzly which it probably is then they really should just do the banjo correctly and let the buyer absorb the cost of the tool post. You aren't going to get away with just the one tool post and how many owners of this lathe are going to replace the original cast iron tool post with something from Robust etc. anyway ? The cost of a straight tool post is a lot cheaper than the cost of buying an aftermarket banjo to get this lathe to where it should be. On a lathe this large you do want the option to be able to use a corer safely or other accessories that are out there. That's far more important than a single tool post. The lathe is only a starting point for a turner but it needs to be compatible with what else is available from other companies or it loses it appeal to potential buyers. If I was in the position of being able to upgrade to this lathe and readily would if I could , I would find this an acceptable trade off for a lathe this large at it's current steal of a price.

I agree Brian I would rather the banjo was corrected to the right length and height. The supplied toolrest I will probably never use anyway as I have better aftermarket ones. I would almost prefer that lathe makers didn't even provide a toolrest with a lathe and then you could buy the particular types you wanted for the type of turning you do. I would really like to see a banjo with a 7" tool post height. That would allow up to 2" above and below the centerline with most toolrests but would keep 1" in the banjo even at the 2" above.

Shiraz Balolia
07-23-2015, 11:33 AM
The banjo is being reduced by only half an inch, which then allows the rest to be lower than the center to the height as per the requests by many here. The hole in the current banjo is 3 3/4" deep to the shaft that locks the banjo in place. This is being reduced to approximately 3 1/4".

The design of our standard rest is so that the rest does not depend on just the shaft for support. It uses the tool rest body that rests on the banjo - for maximum strength and stability. Frankly, this is the strongest design.

Dok Yager
07-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Thank You Mr. Balolia! This is the solution we all hoped for. The fact that you are doing this shows just how much you and your company truly are customer oriented! And the fact that you will ship All of the people that got their G0766 prior to this "Fix" is a testament to just that.
Yes some things may have to be modified for some people, however this Is a solution we can all live with and once again,Thank You for your prompt and courteous re-design and efforts to resolve this issue. This will make this a Truly World Class lathe capable of doing exactly as it was intended.

Brian Myers
07-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Mr. Balolia , I have to say it's very nice to see the owner of a company personally standing behind a product they sell and taking time to communicate with the consumer . I tip my hat to you sir.

Belton Garvin
07-23-2015, 4:48 PM
The banjo is being reduced by only half an inch, which then allows the rest to be lower than the center to the height as per the requests by many here. The hole in the current banjo is 3 3/4" deep to the shaft that locks the banjo in place. This is being reduced to approximately 3 1/4".

The design of our standard rest is so that the rest does not depend on just the shaft for support. It uses the tool rest body that rests on the banjo - for maximum strength and stability. Frankly, this is the strongest design.

While I agree that would be the strongest design for strength and stability, I have never seen a tool rest used regularly at it's lowest point with the shoulder in contact with the banjo. I have seen turners use a small hose clamp on the tool rest to easily get to a specific rest height.

Like you said, you can't create a design that will make everyone happy or address every issue. Thanks again for great communication and working with us for a solution.

Tony French
07-23-2015, 5:27 PM

Mr. Balolia,
Thank you for addressing the concerns raised on this forum.

My opinion is that I would also strongly suggest that you consider raising the height of the banjo and either include the rest from another model or redesign the current rest. I understand that is more work and cost, but as others have said, I think customers would be willing to absorb that cost for the right product. If you are redesigning a part, it makes sense to get it right. It seem like the chance to hit a home run instead of a ground rule double. A lathe is one of the few large tools that is heavily dependent on the aftermarket accessories that go with the tool. Many people spend many times the price of their lathe on the accompanying tools and accessories. I can't imagine that there is a single turner who is considering this machine that would only use the stock rest in the lowest position. It isn't a matter of trying to appease everybody, of course that will not happen. However, in this case, it is making a tool that will work well for most people. I would bet that 85% or better of people considering this lathe would eventually require a taller banjo to allow use of common aftermarket rests, hollowing systems, and center savers. While I understand that it isn't your job or concern to make it easy to use other company's products, it is in your interest to sell more lathes. I am considering purchasing this lathe, but am on the fence due to the shipping issues and this banjo issue. The proposed fix is a dramatic improvement from the existing one, but with the proposed design change, I think I am still looking at adding a $250 aftermarket banjo to use with the previously stated aftermarket accessories. If I didn't have to consider that $250 extra right out of the gate, this lathe would be the easy choice.

Rick Bailey
07-23-2015, 9:00 PM
The bed is 66" long. The motor sticks out over the end 11 1/4" when it is all the way to the end. Bed height is 36 3/4". Height to the center line of the spindle is 47 3/4". Total height is 51". Legs front to back 22"

Thank you sir,
That's just the info I needed.
Thanks ,
Rick

hu lowery
07-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Mr. Balolia,
Thank you for addressing the concerns raised on this forum.

My opinion is that I would also strongly suggest that you consider raising the height of the banjo and either include the rest from another model or redesign the current rest. I understand that is more work and cost, but as others have said, I think customers would be willing to absorb that cost for the right product. If you are redesigning a part, it makes sense to get it right. It seem like the chance to hit a home run instead of a ground rule double. A lathe is one of the few large tools that is heavily dependent on the aftermarket accessories that go with the tool. Many people spend many times the price of their lathe on the accompanying tools and accessories. I can't imagine that there is a single turner who is considering this machine that would only use the stock rest in the lowest position. It isn't a matter of trying to appease everybody, of course that will not happen. However, in this case, it is making a tool that will work well for most people. I would bet that 85% or better of people considering this lathe would eventually require a taller banjo to allow use of common aftermarket rests, hollowing systems, and center savers. While I understand that it isn't your job or concern to make it easy to use other company's products, it is in your interest to sell more lathes. I am considering purchasing this lathe, but am on the fence due to the shipping issues and this banjo issue. The proposed fix is a dramatic improvement from the existing one, but with the proposed design change, I think I am still looking at adding a $250 aftermarket banjo to use with the previously stated aftermarket accessories. If I didn't have to consider that $250 extra right out of the gate, this lathe would be the easy choice.
el

As easy as it is to get aftermarket items with the length posts you need I wouldn't consider replacing the Grizzly banjo myself, I'll simply get tool posts to fit it. I probably will open the banjo hole to one inch but that is a very minor modification. With the Grizzly banjo I can easily purchase rests with short posts to get even more drop below center which is what I usually need with my style of turning. If I need to go high I'll go with a long post. There are modular systems where you can buy multiple posts for one rest top but I don't see this as a major issue.

Hu

hu lowery
08-03-2015, 9:30 AM
Ordered my new 766 Saturday. Hopefully the packing will be a little stouter than last time or the shippers a little gentler. I am confident that the banjo issue has been resolved, or will be as soon as the new casting can be produced. Looking forward to having the new machine up and running, a large pecan just had to come down in my front yard, 33" DBH. Should be some fair sized blanks from that trunk.

Thanks again to Mr. Balolia for addressing our concerns!

Hu

Brice Rogers
09-29-2015, 5:02 PM
Hello, I had read somewhere that Grizzly was supposed get the new/redesigned banjo last week. I'm wondering if anyone who already bought a G0766 has received a replacement banjo ???

Roger Chandler
09-29-2015, 5:54 PM
Hello, I had read somewhere that Grizzly was supposed get the new/redesigned banjo last week. I'm wondering if anyone who already bought a G0766 has received a replacement banjo ???
Someone posted on the GGMG that the new banjos were supposed to ship on 9/18......whether that is accurate, I do not know.

Brice Rogers
10-01-2015, 1:01 PM
Someone posted on the GGMG that the new banjos were supposed to ship on 9/18......whether that is accurate, I do not know.

A slight update: I spoke with Grizzly tech support this morning and they said that the replacement banjos should be "shipping to customers sometime this month" (October).

Mark Greenbaum
10-01-2015, 1:06 PM
Very good news. I was getting prepared to lower the top about 1/2" and bore the hole to 1" diameter. As much as I have used the G0766, I can probably wait.

Randy Red Bemont
10-01-2015, 1:24 PM
A slight update: I spoke with Grizzly tech support this morning and they said that the replacement banjos should be "shipping to customers sometime this month" (October).

Looking forward to this delivery. Thank you to Grizzly for stepping up and doing this.

Red

hu lowery
10-01-2015, 4:25 PM

Brice,

Thanks for the update!

I started to load my tool rest and banjo up and haul them to the machine shop this week. I think I can wait on the new banjo. I don't suspect it will be too expensive to add the parts used on the new banjo back to the old one so I think I'll keep both. Two banjo's even different lengths should make a cantilevered tool rest much stronger, I'm thinking inside rests.

Hu

Shiraz Balolia
11-20-2015, 7:03 PM
Good news! All of the replacement banjos shipped to all the customers today.

Thank you for your patience and for your business.

Roger Chandler
11-20-2015, 7:15 PM

Thank you so very much, Mr. Balolia.......this will take the G0766 to its rightful place as a value and performer in the large lathe catagory! Looking forward to recieving it! :)

Mark Greenbaum
11-20-2015, 8:37 PM

Thanks Mr. Balolia - I am very anxious to try the new banjo with this wonderful lathe. It is nice to see a President of a company stand behind its products, and meet the expectations of the customers. I am sure everything will be perfect, and I will be able to better my skills. This being my first real lathe has afforded me the joys of a steady machine the I am sure will handle everything I can throw at it. KUDOS, Sir, to your uncommon approach to customer service.

John Grace
11-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Different question for you Roger. I noticed you have one of the 'big scoops' dust collectors behind your lathe. Can you share with me the size of your dust collector unit and what kind of results this set-up achieves? I'm quickly reaching a point where I have to climb a small hill of shavings to reach my lathe but haven't had any luck in creating a useful dust collection system as the shavings come off my lathe. thanks...John

Roger Chandler
11-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Different question for you Roger. I noticed you have one of the 'big scoops' dust collectors behind your lathe. Can you share with me the size of your dust collector unit and what kind of results this set-up achieves? I'm quickly reaching a point where I have to climb a small hill of shavings to reach my lathe but haven't had any luck in creating a useful dust collection system as the shavings come off my lathe. thanks...John

John, my DC unit is a 1200 cfm collector, and the big gulp hood will collect sanding dust for sure [the reason I made this setup to begin with] and I have it on a sliding tongue & groove base where I can adjust it in/out depending on the size of the bowl/project, and it works well.

As far as the larger shavings, the hose I have is a flexible spring hose from Rockler, and I take it from the back of the dust hood and suck up the shavings. I have a 31 gal trash can with a cyclone lid on it, and most all the shavings collect in it, then when it gets full, I empty it. I also have the dust handle fitting on that hose and fittings on my stationary tools that allow me to hook up the DC to any of them. Hope this helps!

Cary Falk
11-21-2015, 1:28 AM
I got an email from UPS saying that my new banjo from grizzly has shipped.

hu lowery
11-21-2015, 3:09 AM

Mr Balolia,

Thank you for the update! My banjo does indeed show to be in route. Everything else about the lathe has been very pleasing. I have been struggling more with rest height than diameter but with both addressed I have some huge pecan to cut up.

Thank you again for your personal involvement from start to finish in addressing this issue. I am sure a lot of people noticed and it will certainly influence my future purchase decisions.

Hu Lowery

Mark Greenbaum
11-21-2015, 5:35 PM
I also received the shipping notice last night, and my new banjo is suposed to be delivered on Tuesday. Nice!!

Matt Schrum
11-23-2015, 10:13 PM
My banjo arrived today and I got it all set up-- now it's actually a size that fits the lathe.

For those of you that were hoping to use the old (smaller) banjo for a second one... well, you'll need a lot of parts. Literally the only thing shipped is the long locking bar and the cast iron casting. That's it, two parts. You reuse the c-clips, back plate with 4 phillips screws, the locking cam assembly, the tool post locking lever and even the rubber grip on the old locking bar. What they shipped is plenty to retrofit your banjo to something longer, but I had a good laugh at all of the costs savings. I mean, come on, the c clips? I certainly grumbled a bit as I transferred those over as I don't have any retaining ring pliers.

Overall I am happy they pulled through with the replacements even if it was the bare minimum in parts. I took some sandpaper to mine and enlarged the tool post hole to 1" and I'm good to go--- I can't wait until I get around to mounting a piece large enough to take advantage of the new full reach :)

Jeff Nye
11-24-2015, 9:34 AM
Is this something that has to be requested?

Matt Schrum
11-24-2015, 9:38 AM
Is this something that has to be requested?
As I understand it, the new casting will be sent to all G0766 owners regardless of whether or not they have requested it or contacted Customer Service. You shouldn't have to do anything on your end except open the door for the UPS guy when he shows up.

Jeff Nye
11-24-2015, 9:51 AM
Good to know, thanks.

Randy Red Bemont
11-24-2015, 1:23 PM
Mine just got delivered. I'll get it set up this afternoon. Should work better height wise with my EWT's.

Red

Jeramie Johnson
11-24-2015, 1:59 PM
Mine just got delivered. I'll get it set up this afternoon. Should work better height wise with my EWT's.

Red

UPS says mine is being delivered today also.

Randy Red Bemont
11-24-2015, 2:53 PM

Red

Got it all changed over. Literally a 5 minute job, 4 if I owned a pair of retaining ring pliers which are now on my Christmas list! Work fine. Thank you to Grizzly for the replacement.

Red

hu lowery
11-24-2015, 7:07 PM
Got it all changed over. Literally a 5 minute job, 4 if I owned a pair of retaining ring pliers which are now on my Christmas list! Work fine. Thank you to Grizzly for the replacement.

Red

Red,

It is close to a twenty minute job if you keep bumping those little silver colored screws off the lathe bed and down into the shavings! Glad they were silver colored, that helped some. :)

I turned four hours or so with the new banjo today too. Wasn't too demanding but it does appear all is well in my shop. The extra five-eighth inch of tool drop is nice and we have 11 inches from the edge of the tool rest to the centerline of the lathe now with the banjo still very solidly on the back way.

Hu

Dok Yager
11-24-2015, 7:19 PM
Thanks Mr. Balolia. Got my UPS notification that it will be here tomorrow! Can`t wait to change over and try it out. Thanks for all the updated info Hu.

Brice Rogers
11-24-2015, 7:34 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing a part or not. Since I got the G0766, I've occasionally had problems with the banjo, especially if I moved the banjo too far in. It would get stuck and I'd have to take off the bolt on the bottom. I'd find the machined washer "cocked" sideways and stuck. When I look at the parts diagram, it shows bracket 061, whose purpose (at least partially) appears to capture the eccentric bushing and keep it aligned with the clamp bolt. All I have is part 59 and 60 (clamp bolt and eccentric bushing). There really is nothing to keep the bushing from sliding out of the clamp bolt.

I am wondering if someone just forgot a part, if everyone has the same setup as I do or what? Could those people who are converting their banjos comment on whether they just had a washer on the clamp bolt or had a bracket that looks like the one in the parts diagram?

Matt Schrum
11-24-2015, 9:13 PM
Could those people who are converting their banjos comment on whether they just had a washer on the clamp bolt or had a bracket that looks like the one in the parts diagram?

My banjo does not look like the parts diagram, it looks just like your pictures. That big machined washer that keeps the eccentric nut thing in check should have both shoulders below the edges of the casting. Ones the bar is in place with the retaining rings on, that big washer doesn't seem to get cocked as in your picture-- at least on my banjo.

David C. Roseman
11-24-2015, 9:14 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing a part or not. Since I got the G0766, I've occasionally had problems with the banjo, especially if I moved the banjo too far in. It would get stuck and I'd have to take off the bolt on the bottom. I'd find the machined washer "cocked" sideways and stuck. When I look at the parts diagram, it shows bracket 061, whose purpose (at least partially) appears to capture the eccentric bushing and keep it aligned with the clamp bolt. All I have is part 59 and 60 (clamp bolt and eccentric bushing). There really is nothing to keep the bushing from sliding out of the clamp bolt.

I am wondering if someone just forgot a part, if everyone has the same setup as I do or what? Could those people who are converting their banjos comment on whether they just had a washer on the clamp bolt or had a bracket that looks like the one in the parts diagram?

Brice, I don't recognize the bracket marked as ref. 61 in the parts diagram that you show in your post. The diagram is evidently from your hard copy of the manual, but compare it to the corresponding diagram of the online parts list on Grizzly's website here: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0766_pl.pdf

In the online diagram, ref. 61 is a flange washer like the one that shows in your photograph. That is what is on my G0766 original banjo (and on the identical banjo on my G0733), so I don't think you're missing a part.

My replacement banjo hasn't arrived yet. Perhaps tomorrow.
(http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0766_pl.pdf)

hu lowery
11-24-2015, 9:35 PM
Brice,

Same here, I have the stepped washer type part in my 766. Looks to be simpler to make than the other one and maybe even less prone to failure. Probably both cast so that might be the difference between a chicken egg and a duck egg.

Scratching my head about how yours can get out of place. The smaller diameter step fits in the banjo keeping the piece centered so it isn't possible for it to get out of place enough for one side to drop down, in theory anyway.

I have intended to buy two more lock nuts for my headstock and tailstock, until then I put the lock nut on my banjo and I keep it fairly snug. Do you have a lock nut securing the banjo to the lathe bed? If not perhaps the nut is vibrating loose enough that the two step washer thing is raising up enough to get sideways. The other option is that it could be the wrong one. The other other option:) could be the opening in the bottom of your banjo is too large, hopefully remedied by the new banjo but they aren't likely to replace your old casting twice if you need another!

Don't know, just some thoughts. Maybe if nothing else they give you some ideas.

Hu

Brice Rogers
11-24-2015, 10:37 PM
My banjo does not look like the parts diagram, it looks just like your pictures. That big machined washer that keeps the eccentric nut thing in check should have both shoulders below the edges of the casting. Ones the bar is in place with the retaining rings on, that big washer doesn't seem to get cocked as in your picture-- at least on my banjo.
On one end of my banjo, the width of the opening in the casting is wider than the diagonal on the shoulder washer, so there isn't anything to keep it from tilting and getting stuck. In fact, at that one point (where the tool rest is real close to centerline), there is enough space for the shoulder washer to be cocked sideways and have 0.025 of extra clearance. Right now, on the advice of others, I have put in a thin hand-cut polyethylene washer to keep their shoulder from sliding below overly wide lip.
I'm a bit surprised that the eccentric sleeve doesn't slide out of the locking nut.

Brice Rogers
11-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Brice, I don't recognize the bracket marked as ref. 61 in the parts diagram that you show in your post. The diagram is evidently from your hard copy of the manual, but compare it to the corresponding diagram of the online parts list on Grizzly's website here: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0766_pl.pdf

In the online diagram, ref. 61 is a flange washer like the one that shows in your photograph. That is what is on my G0766 original banjo (and on the identical banjo on my G0733), so I don't think you're missing a part.

My replacement banjo hasn't arrived yet. Perhaps tomorrow.
(http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0766_pl.pdf)

Thanks David for your response. I double checked the on-line documentation after reading your comment and came across an interesting anomaly - - The manual and the parts list shows the flange washer as we both have. But I just learned that if I click on the link to Buying parts, it shows a different version of part 61. So, there is a discrepancy in their documentation.

I currently can't figure out what keeps the eccentric sleeve centered in the tightening bolt. A flange with ears (as is only shown on the Buy parts diagram) would make sense. I wonder why there are two versions of this diagram and whether there is a value to a part with the ears or whether some one cost-reduced the assembly.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Brice Rogers
11-24-2015, 11:00 PM
My banjo casting must be out of spec and is too wide inside. So your comment that the bottom of my banjo is too large is correct. The shoulder washer kind of flops around in there and in one location, if it wanted to go sideways, it could do it with an extra 0.025 space to spare. As you might have seen from the pictures I posted, I can actually remove the stepped washer with my fingers and no tools. At the other end of the banjo, the width of the casting inside is narrower and it isn't possible for the shoulder washer to flop sideways.

Yes, I do have a Nyloc type of nut on the banjo. I noticed that the tailstock and headstock do not have the locking nut. Perhaps they were able to save an extra 5 cents by using a standard nut. Also, the headstock should always be locked in place when there would be any vibration. That's probably why the headstock and tailstock nuts didn't rattle loose during shipment as seven other bolts on my lathe did (like 5 of them holding the motor).

Thanks for your feedback.

Dennis Collier
11-25-2015, 5:20 PM
Just installed my new banjo and Im having the same problem as Brice. The part that Grizzly is calling a "support bracket" is too small for the new banjo. The larger diameter of the step will actually fit inside the opening in the bottom of the banjo and becomes cocked when you lock it down. When you release the lever to try and move the banjo, its now stuck in position until you get the "support bracket" uncocked and back in place. It petty much makes the lathe unusable since you have to take the banjo apart every time you need to move it. Maybe its just me but with all the QC issues there have been with this release, you would think someone would actually start checking things instead of continually shipping customers items that dont work.

Bill Boehme
11-25-2015, 6:24 PM

I don't have that model lathe, but just from looking at the pictures and the IPD, I would guess that your shoulder washer might be installed upside down.

David C. Roseman
11-25-2015, 6:38 PM
Dennis and Brice, I just finished installing my new replacement banjo and fortunately don't have the problem you describe (and that another SMC member has mentioned in a Grizzly Green Monster Group thread). The slot in the bottom of my new banjo measures only 1.5 mm wider than that of the original banjo (46.5 mm vs. 45 mm). So, my step washer (a/k/a flanged washer), part ref. 61 in the Grizzly online parts list, stays sufficiently centered so that it can't cock in the slot.

The cocking problem is irritating, I'm sure, but pending a solution from Grizzly, I don't see why it has to make the lathe unusable. The outer diameter of the step washer is plenty large enough to seat well on both sides of the slot as long as the washer and the tool rest clamp bolt (part ref. 59) stay reasonably well centered.

There are a couple of ways to help that happen. One, as I mentioned in the GGMG thread, is to make a circular bushing with a strip of HDPE (cut from a used plastic milk container, motor oil quart bottle, etc.) to fit around the shoulder of the tool rest clamp bolt (part ref. 59) between it and the inner wall of the step washer. That may remove enough play to solve the problem. The second, more certain fix would be to cut a second shim from a thin strip of sheet metal (from a tin can, if no shop scraps are available) to wrap around the outside wall of the small step of the washer, and epoxy it in place. Steel-reinforced epoxy (JB Weld or equiv) would make a permanent fix, for sure. Clean the surfaces with acetone or lacquer thinner well beforehand, especially if a can is used for source material because of the BPA lining). Wrap a thin wire around the shim to hold it in place while the epoxy sets. I'm thinking it might take 30 minutes in the shop to accomplish both fixes. All the shims need to do is keep the bolt/washer assembly centered until the locking lever is clamped down. So there would be very little force on the shims.

BTW, for the owners of the G0766 who haven't yet made the changeover of reusable parts from the original banjo, here's a tip for removing the rubberized sleeve from the old locking lever handle. It acts like a Chinese finger puzzle if you try to just pull it off. Instead, close the jaws of a crescent wrench loosely over the handle just above the sleeve, then push the sleeve right off. It's a mechanic's trick for remove molded polymer handles from equipment hand levers. :)

lynn cranmer
11-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi Bric, I have the same set up and have had the same problem with the banjo getting stuck. I am waiting for the new potentiometer to arrive so I can get back to work.

Brice Rogers
11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi Bric, I have the same set up and have had the same problem with the banjo getting stuck. I am waiting for the new potentiometer to arrive so I can get back to work.

Lynn, sorry to hear that. I ordered a set of parts for the G0733 to retrofit into my new banjo. That way I'll have 2 banjos. I have some ideas of using the second banjo for perhaps a second support for hollowing or perhaps to hold a work light. But, in my haste to get it ordered, I made a mistake on one part - - and ordered the locking clamp rather than the "support bracket" (a.k.a. as "that damn washer that gets stuck"). ;)

So my new plan B is to machine my own stepped washer. If I have the right materials laying around, I might make it our of cold roll steel. Otherwise I might make it out of 6061 aluminum (of which I have a decent supply on hand and which is easier to machine). In either case, I intend to make it a little oversize in the major diameter so that it cannot get cocked sideways.

Roger Chandler
11-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Well, I am a little late to the last part of this thread where the new banjo parts arrived. I was gone out of town and mine came while I was away. I got it put together this morning, using the new and original banjo parts, and mine is perfect......smooth as silk and it locks down securely and slides in every direction with ease.

The only mod I did was to enlarge the 25mm hole to 1 inch and my latest acquisition rest arrived as well.....an outside curve bowl rest from Robust with long post. All the rests work great on either the new banjo or my Oneway banjo.......happy camper here! ;)

Joe Kaufman
11-28-2015, 3:03 PM
Same reaction as Bill

"I don't have that model lathe, but just from looking at the pictures and the IPD, I would guess that your shoulder washer might be installed upside down."

In picture #3 what look like 3 "stake" marks may be intended to deform the bolt enough to retain the cam inside the bolt. If so, they are in the wrong location if the cam is centered in the bolt in the picture. What prevents the cam from slipping out the other direction?

Joe

Brice Rogers
11-28-2015, 3:41 PM
I am currently waiting for the g0733 parts to complete my new banjo. I noticed that the new casting is much nicer than the old one. The surface that goes against the lathe bed is smoother for one thing. The old banjo didn't look like it had been milled - - there were strange marks that made me think that it might have been "scraped". Also the variation in width (where the step washer goes) is half of what the old one was (1.865 to 1.890 versus 1.845 to 1.940). Also, the new one is a bit narrower which will or may reduce the chance of the washer getting stuck. It is still possible to wedge the shoulder washer sideways but perhaps in use, that will no longer be an issue. The old casting was rough looking inside including on those surfaces where the washer needs to slide. So I am hopeful that when I get all of the parts that it will be better than before.325972325973

I was pleased to see that the length of the inside of the casting that supports the tool post is the same as it was before. I was previously concerned that it would be less because they shortened the height. But that isn't so.

In regards to the comments from Bill and Joe, the washer only fits one way. If I tried to reverse it, things wouldn't fit. If you look at the picture, you can get a better idea of the profile and see that if it was reversed that it would protrude further inwards. There isn't enough clearance to the bolt, and rod to allow that. But thanks for the comment. I took the time to check it out "just in case".

Cary Falk
11-28-2015, 11:50 PM
I assembled mine today. No issues

Keith Buxton
11-29-2015, 2:00 AM
guys I had the same problem even called grizzly and was told I maybe I had the washer in upside down. which it is not. I think one of the casting molds is bigger then the other or just bad QC. my new banjo measured 3mm wider than the old one. old one is 45mm new one is 48mm I know it is not much but is just enough for it to get cocked and jammed up. I am lucky that my brother is a machinist and I had him make me a new one that was 3mm bigger on both dia. and it took care of my problem. you could make a bracket like what is shown in the new parts list with some sheet metal. just bend it in a U shape and drill 3 holes 2 for the rod to go though and one for the bolt. the washer is not used when you lock the base down it's only function is to keep the Eccentric and the clamp bolt from sliding apart.

Jeff Nye
11-29-2015, 9:51 AM
While I appreciate the time, effort and cost Grizzly has made to replace this banjo, I've had my G0766 since May. I've spent considerable money buying Robust tool rests that fit the original banjo (short post) so that I could use the lathe. The replacement banjo has a shorter base and can't use these safely, in my opinion. So except for the rare occasions when I might want to turn something large, I probably won't use the replacement banjo. I am glad, though that it is an easy conversion between them. I've done it.
By the way I am extremely happy with my purchase. Knock on wood but I haven't had any problems so far and the initial banjo issue just made me delve into and understand a piece of my lathe better.

Bill Boehme
11-29-2015, 6:44 PM
guys I had the same problem even called grizzly and was told I maybe I had the washer in upside down. which it is not. I think one of the casting molds is bigger then the other or just bad QC. my new banjo measured 3mm wider than the old one. old one is 45mm new one is 48mm I know it is not much but is just enough for it to get cocked and jammed up. I am lucky that my brother is a machinist and I had him make me a new one that was 3mm bigger on both dia. and it took care of my problem. you could make a bracket like what is shown in the new parts list with some sheet metal. just bend it in a U shape and drill 3 holes 2 for the rod to go though and one for the bolt. the washer is not used when you lock the base down it's only function is to keep the Eccentric and the clamp bolt from sliding apart.

Has anybody considered the possibility that perhaps the problem is the stepped washer size rather than a problem with the banjo? Could it be possible that there are two different sizes "out there" ... that maybe the manufacturer is subbing an alternate part for the right one if the right one happens to be out of stock? After all, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the head pooh-bah says, "keep the line moving because we have a deadline to meet". Has anybody who is having problems measured the size of their stepped washer and asked for a comparison from anybody who says that they don't have the problem? Based on what Brice said, I would be inclined to rule out a casting problem because he had the same problem with both the old and new banjos. The pictures that he posted show that the washer could easily stand to be wider. I can only guess that the original casting may have had such sloppy tolerances that a common size can't work on all banjos.

Keith, you mentioned that your new banjo is 3 mm wider than the old one. See Brice's post about the width of the slot on his old vs. new banjo ... the slot on his old one varied from about 47 mm to 49 mm. Sounds like the tolerances on the old banjo were not nearly as good as on the new one.

Brice Rogers
11-29-2015, 7:57 PM
Has anybody considered the possibility that perhaps the problem is the stepped washer size rather than a problem with the banjo? Could it be possible that there are two different sizes "out there" ... that maybe the manufacturer is subbing an alternate part for the right one if the right one happens to be out of stock? After all, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the head pooh-bah says, "keep the line moving because we have a deadline to meet". Has anybody who is having problems measured the size of their stepped washer and asked for a comparison from anybody who says that they don't have the problem? Based on what Brice said, I would be inclined to rule out a casting problem because he had the same problem with both the old and new banjos. The pictures that he posted show that the washer could easily stand to be wider. I can only guess that the original casting may have had such sloppy tolerances that a common size can't work on all banjos.

Keith, you mentioned that your new banjo is 3 mm wider than the old one. See Brice's post about the width of the slot on his old vs. new banjo ... the slot on his old one varied from about 47 mm to 49 mm. Sounds like the tolerances on the old banjo were not nearly as good as on the new one.

Bill, you raise an interesting and possibly good issue. The original washer that I had was 2.081" in major OD. The shoulder that rubs against the rough (and varying width) casting is 1.785". The inner/minor diameter (the part that rubs on the tightening bolt) is 1.420" Any of these three dimensions could affect how much room this washer has to float around. In fact, even the OD of the tightening bolt is involved to some extent.

I machined a new step washer yesterday and I increased to major OD to 2.180, reduced the minor ID to 1.41, and increased the shoulder to 1.800. I think that the most important change was adding 0.1 inches to the major OD. In my case - - with too much slop with the casting and the original washer, so this made a big difference. Later this week I get the rest of my parts, so I'll see how this works.

It seems like the width of the casting has a lot of variation. I wonder if an oversized washer would fit those castings that are on the other end of the tolerance - - that is, the smaller castings??? Personally, I think that the manufacturer should not have relied on the raw width of the casting, but should have milled it to the desired width. Plus it would have given a smoother surface to rub on. Interestingly, they ran a mill inside of the casting (hard to see unless you look for it) on both sides to make sure that the washer had plenty of room to slide around. On my new casting and the new 0.100 oversize washer, there is enough room that the major OD never hits anything. It is the shoulder (1.785" dimension) that hits the casting first.

I'll be interested in hearing from others as to the size of their washer.

Dennis Collier
12-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Just an update to my earlier reply about my banjo not working. Today, out of the blue, I recieved a package from Grizzly with a new support bracket. I hadnt even contacted Grizzly yet so it must have come from this thread or maybe they shipped one to everyone? I dunno. Anyhow, the new one is much larger and now my banjo works great!! Thanks for the excellent CS Grizzly!

Roger Chandler
12-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Just an update to my earlier reply about my banjo not working. Today, out of the blue, I recieved a package from Grizzly with a new support bracket. I hadnt even contacted Grizzly yet so it must have come from this thread or maybe they shipped one to everyone? I dunno. Anyhow, the new one is much larger and now my banjo works great!! Thanks for the excellent CS Grizzly!
Grizzly is sending one to all owners of the 0766.

Randy Red Bemont
12-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Yup, we all get new ones. Mine should be delivered today also.

Red