PDA

View Full Version : Free lunches........

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2015, 2:34 PM
There is a local family owned corporation that has 8 restaurants and a catering business.

The 2nd Tuesday of every month, they offer free lunches to all veterans of the US military. They list that benefit on their website and state "Thank you for your service!". How cool is that?

Glenn Clabo
07-14-2015, 2:50 PM
"Thank you for your service" rings hollow useless you are doing something to support vets. This is doing something. Outstanding!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2015, 3:27 PM
Glenn,

I have never taken advantage of the free lunches. My wife and fellow veterans have encouraged me to do so. I decided today I would. When I went upstairs the wife showed me a large paid advertisement in the local paper advertising those free lunches for vets at their restaurants. At their 2 higher end restaurants, it's $10 off any meal and at all the others it's a free meal as advertised...everything from a free steak dinner at one of their nicer places to a combo meals at their ARBY's and A&Ws. Of their 8 restaurants, 2 of them are ARBY's and one is an A&W. The other businesses are fairly nice restaurants.

Paying for an advertisement to be sure vets are aware of those free lunches? That is special!

Glenn Clabo
07-14-2015, 4:54 PM
Glenn,

I have never taken advantage of the free lunches. My wife and fellow veterans have encouraged me to do so. I decided today I would. When I went upstairs the wife showed me a large paid advertisement in the local paper advertising those free lunches for vets at their restaurants. At their 2 higher end restaurants, it's $10 off any meal and at all the others it's a free meal as advertised...everything from a free steak dinner at one of their nicer places to a combo meals at their ARBY's and A&Ws. Of their 8 restaurants, 2 of them are ARBY's and one is an A&W. The other businesses are fairly nice restaurants.

Paying for an advertisement to be sure vets are aware of those free lunches? That is special!

Boy have things changed since we were in Ken...so much better...in so many ways.
Our sons...and now your grandson will get treated so much better.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2015, 6:33 PM
Grandsons.....Glenn...plural....one in the Navy and one in the Army....

I just got back from my free lunch. I showed them a copy of my DD-214 and they issued me a card for use over the next 12 months...... Of course I took Sharon to lunch, bought her lunch, we split a desert and drinks.....so they make money but mine was free.

Things have certainly changed since our time in the military.

https://www.facebook.com/happydayrestaurants/photos/a.490932850942071.97252.473572249344798/868695603165792/?type=1&theater

Here's their advertisement on FB.

Justin Ludwig
07-15-2015, 7:57 AM
I feel guilty every time someone buys my lunch when I'm in uniform. I'm grateful, no doubt, but still feel guilty. Sure beats the sentiments had in the 70's (before my time).

Paul McGaha
07-15-2015, 9:54 AM
Glad to see this story.

Veterans deserve that kind of treatment.

PHM

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2015, 9:58 AM
Justin,

Don't feel guilty. The price you pay and offer to pay by serving can never be repaid other than by appreciation.

Both of our sons have served or are still serving. Our oldest son served 9 years in the US Army. He was in Saudi Arabia for Desert Shield and Desert Storm. During Desert Storm he ended up in Iraq and Kuwait.

Our youngest son is serving currently as a US Navy dentist.

I was in the Navy from '68-76. We traveled in uniform in those days. I won't go into the details of how I was personally treated while changing trains from the Chicago-Northwestern to the GMO in Union Station in Chicago. It happened to many of my generation serving at the time. My wife's older brother flew in Vietnam with the Navy's HAL-3, an attack squadron of Hueys providing support for ground troops. My wife when younger was a pretty shy person. After Desert Shield, our oldest son and his ex-wife were both sent to Saudi. Two US Senators representing Idaho held a local town meeting for parents of those serving in the US military. When it came her turn to speak, she stood up and said loudly, bluntly "You aren't going to do to our sons what they did to our brothers and husbands! Let them fight to win or bring them home now!" There would have been a revolution if the public and the government tried to do to our children what they did to us. It wasn't going to be allowed to happen.

Mike Cutler
07-15-2015, 10:42 AM
I feel guilty every time someone buys my lunch when I'm in uniform. I'm grateful, no doubt, but still feel guilty. Sure beats the sentiments had in the 70's (before my time).

Justin
No need for any guilt, unless you're wearing your uniform to purposely try to "scam" free meals. Which it doesn't sound like you are too me.
I've always believed that people are fundamentally generous and good at heart, and having someone pay for a service persons meal is a way for them to express their thanks and appreciation for what your doing, and the sacrifices you're willing to make.
I was in the Navy, Submarines, from 78-84 and it definitely wasn't as "acceptable" to be in the Military at that time, as it is now. I'm glad it changed for folks currently serving. It's a good thing.

Ken

That sounds like a restaurant that "gets it". Very nice to hear that there are more places like that.

Bert Kemp
07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
I served in the USMC from 1967 to 1971 I was lucky and served most of my over seas time in Okinawa. But still got the same treatment when we returned home. I have never had a meal paid for by anyone saying thank you for your service, I do on occasion buy a meal for a vet I see in a restaurant, always an older vet that has a WWII hat on and he never knows who bought it, I just tell the waitress to put his lunch on me and tell him thank you for his service when I'm gone.
I have never used my discounts offered by many business's like HD or others, I don't want there appreciation now I wanted it back then as far as I'm concerned they can keep their free meals and their 10%.
Edit... I forgot the one time back a few months ago after we stood a flag line for a KIA Marine a bunch of us PGR guys went to lunch like 12 of us as I recall and the wait staff donated their tips to buy us lunch.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Bert,

I am the last guy with whom you want to discuss that subject as I have some very strong venomous opinions about the way our generation who were serving was treated in the Vietnam era.

That said yesterday, the restaurant we went to was packed by guys our age and older, some with their spouses, some with their veteran friends, most wearing a ball cap proudly proclaiming their service. At one point my wife overheard a conversation of a huge guy wearing a Marine ball cap taunting a guy who was wearing a "US NAVY- RETIRED" ball cap. I wished I had heard it because I would have gotten into the friendly fray! I always enjoyed the friendly banter between the Marines and the sailors!

Two of my best friends are retired Marine officers, both with multiple tours in Vietnam. We elk hunted together for over 18 years. The banter in elk camp was a kick in the butt!

The owner of this private corporation of restaurants is our age Bert. He might even be a vet. I don't know.......but I certainly understand your attitude!

Dave Anderson NH
07-15-2015, 5:34 PM
I think that the owner of those restaurants has his or her heart in the right place. Last Friday I went to "The Wall that Heals", a half scale replicas of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial while it was in Gloucester MA. I am unashamed to admit I was quite teary as I looked up the names of the friends I served with in RVN who are on that wall. Emotions will always run deep for those of us who served, and more so for those who served in combat during that unpopular war. I will admit to mixed feelings when someone says "Thank you for your service." One side of me tries to graciously accept the thank you while the other side of me looks at those who are my age and wonders if it is guilt for treating us so poorly when we returned from overseas and is an attempt to ease their conscience. For the same greeting from younger folks I accept the thanks without reservation.

DOUG ANGEL
07-20-2015, 12:07 AM
When someone my age (66), thanks me for my service when I wear an Air Force Ball cap, all I can see is a person that feels guilty for harassing military people back in the day. Being ridiculed and spit on was the order of the day when traveling in uniform. I'm proud of my military service, but I take "Thanks for your service" with a huge grain of salt. I'm very happy to see that my son (E-7 Air Force) is treated with the respect that he has earned.