PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Jet 1642 not working

Ricc Havens
07-14-2015, 2:21 PM
I have a 3-1/2yr old Jet 1642 2hp. Used the lathe on saturday without any issues. Just went to the basement to finish a project and the lathe won't run. The front rpm display is lit up but just shows zero. But the Delta motor controller appears to be dead. Nothing showing on it's small display panel. Unplugged lathe for 30min. to see if that would allow any overload sensors to reset if that was the issue. It didn't help.

Info off the label controller show it's a
Delta S1 - Model# VFD015S21U
input: 1ph - 15.7A - 200-240v
Output: 3ph - 7.5A - 2.9kva -
Frequency range: 1-400hz
Version 2.61

To be honest - we have had a few storms this weekend. BUT no power outages and no other electronic equipment (computers, TV, DVD, digital controls on washer/dryer, microwave, electric stove, etc) has been affected by unseen and unknown electrical surges or power flickers.

Can't see any external safety/overload fuse. the manual doesn't show an internal one so not sure if there is anything inside the controller, and not an electrician so I don;t want to take it apart.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN

Cary Falk
07-14-2015, 2:53 PM
Jet has a 5 year warranty. I would be calling them.

Ricc Havens
07-14-2015, 4:34 PM
I thought that was on the motor and other "jet" parts only not the electronics made by Delta. But I will check it out. Still hoping someone has a simple fix so I'm not down long waiting for warranty or non-warranty repairs

Thanks
Ricc

Doug Ladendorf
07-14-2015, 4:43 PM
Id still give them a call. They might walk you through some diagnostics.

Michelle Rich
07-14-2015, 5:03 PM
some folks find that they need to blow out the dust from the switch/electronics area..seems to happen a lot with the 1642

Russell Neyman
07-15-2015, 12:36 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?232835-Need-help-delta-lathe-just-stopped&p=2439284#post2439284

Ricc Havens
07-15-2015, 8:42 AM
Wasn't dust in the switch as I had already checked that but forgot to mention it in my original post. Called Jet and at first they wanted to blame it on some electrical surge and not their defective equipment. But since I unplug the lathe after use and no storms in our area the tech agreed to send me a new one.

Ricc

Doug Ladendorf
07-15-2015, 8:48 AM
Great resolution! Hopefully you will be up and running soon.

David C. Roseman
07-15-2015, 9:26 AM
Ricc, let us know if the new VFD solves the problem. The VFD-S series is one of Delta Electronics' older drive designs, but has a very good track record. This is curious to me, since you unplug your lathe during storms, though power surges can occur other times as well. You might also want to call Delta's stateside technical support section to see if they have another thought. They have a team in Raleigh, NC, d/b/a Delta Products Corporation (USA), reachable through their main no. at 919 767-3969.

Dale Gillaspy
07-15-2015, 9:38 AM
Have you tried actually bypassing the switch? I had the same problem years ago when I had the 14" Jet and it was the switch. They sent me a new one without any hassle.