PDA

View Full Version : Router bits

David Ragan
07-13-2015, 1:58 PM
The old maxim about you get what you pay for is still true?

Am looking @ buying more bits. Is there anygood reason why I would not just go ahead and buy a solid carbide bit from Freud/CMT/Whiteside?

HOw about HSS with a carbide edge-do those exist?

Was watching some Woodworkers Guild of America videos-he makes me think my router is the most underused tool in the shop. Vondersomething--good videos.

Jay Aubuchon
07-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Aren't most carbide bits made that way: carbide cutters braised to a steel body/shaft? Aren't solid carbide bits the exceptional case? Or am I missing something here?

Russ Ellis
07-13-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm partial to Whiteside bits. Mine are all carbide cutters brazed to a tool steel shaft.

Solid carbide bits will be harder and more brittle through the shank. The trade-off is these bits can tolerate higher operating temperatures.

Michael Moscicki
07-14-2015, 3:15 PM
I would buy Whiteside. They are American made router bits with generous amounts of carbide and they are consistently rated the best overall and the best value by Fine Woodworking. I also noticed that at least on Amazon the bits are cheaper than CMT and Freud. :eek:

Case in point:

Whiteside 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $20.30
CMT 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $28.49
Freud 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $29.17

Whiteside 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $22.46
CMT 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $27.77
Freud 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $29.99

Phil Thien
07-14-2015, 3:25 PM
I also like Whiteside. They work great, made in USA, and they're priced very reasonably. I get most of mine from www.holbren.com (http://www.holbren.com) because they have good stock, the bits are easy to find, the prices are good, the shipping is cheap, and they've been treating me well for a number of years.

glenn bradley
07-14-2015, 7:21 PM
As stated, most bits that get used in my shop are steel bodies with carbide cutters. Solid carbide bits are common in spiral configurations but, I do see other solid carbide bits in other profiles now and again.

I would have to say that IMHO if you own a router and are not sure if it is the most versatile tool in your shop then yes, it is the most underused tool in your shop :). I have several routers with motors that exchange between many bases, attached to jigs, in tables, plunge, palm, micro, etc. Not everyone needs this variety of course but, you can see how some of us use the router for all sorts of things.

Unless I find a bit on sale for $5 and it is a profile that I use so much that I can just use the bit up and toss it, I buy Whiteside. American made, reasonably priced, last longer than others (therefor actually cheaper than the bargain bits), are inexpensive to sharpen, etc., etc.

Matt Day
07-14-2015, 7:32 PM
You're question is a bit confusing. Most all router bits tool steel and carbide cutters - even harbor freight. The differences are in the quality of materials, trueness to size, consistency of manufacture, and of course workmanship.

Tom M King
07-14-2015, 7:41 PM
Whiteside. Always my first choice. Not only the best bits, but a great company to deal with. I've had them make a number of custom bits for me, and they always come perfectly like I needed first time. Quick turnaround on sharpening too, but then, I live in North Carolina. They also make bits for other companies like the top quality bits for Eagle America. I was talking to the guy (Todd) about making a bit for me, and was told that they made something very similar for Eagle America. Sure enough it was what I was talking about, and good enough for what I wanted.

Robert Parent
07-15-2015, 7:46 AM
The bits from Southeast Router have been my goto bits for several years. Nice tool bits at fair prices in my opinion.

David Ragan
07-15-2015, 11:19 AM
You're question is a bit confusing. Most all router bits tool steel and carbide cutters - even harbor freight. The differences are in the quality of materials, trueness to size, consistency of manufacture, and of course workmanship.

From what I recall, I think that Glenn is right about it being spiral bits would be what I'm referring to as solid carbide.