PDA

View Full Version : Polishing acrylic

Neil Pabia
07-13-2015, 1:18 PM
I just finished engraving 60 trophies for a charity car/motorcycle show in the area and bought a flame polisher to give it a better finish. The box included a bunch of small plastic tips, any idea what they would be used for? The instructions don't say anything about it.

Neil Pabia
07-13-2015, 2:09 PM
Okay, I found out that the tips have nothing to do with the machine. Anyone recommend any specific brands or grades of NaOH or alcohol?

Dan Hintz
07-13-2015, 7:42 PM
Look for something that's labeled as "100% pure lye"... Amazon has multiple choices, some prices better than others. A 1-pound container should just about last you a lifetime.

Just about any alcohol will work, though you can tweak your flame temperature with others... acetone, for example.

Neil Pabia
07-16-2015, 3:03 PM
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the advice.

Clark Pace
07-17-2015, 7:14 PM
Warning. Lye and water can really burn. I use goggles and gloves when I mix the stuff before putting it in my flame polisher. There can be some medium gas pressure build up also. I had some spray back on mine once. Got burns on my face. Lucky I was wearning goggles, and my eyes were safe. burns were mild, but I can't imagine if the stuff got in my eyes.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2015, 3:54 PM
Warning. Lye and water can really burn. I use goggles and gloves when I mix the stuff before putting it in my flame polisher. There can be some medium gas pressure build up also. I had some spray back on mine once. Got burns on my face. Lucky I was wearning goggles, and my eyes were safe. burns were mild, but I can't imagine if the stuff got in my eyes.

You should pour the lye (slowly) into the water, Clark, not the other way around. The same goes for acid. Lye is extremely caustic and will cause chemical burns if you get a concentrated solution on your skin... always wear protective gear when handling it.

Clark Pace
07-21-2015, 7:51 PM
I probably wrote that wrong, but I did put the lye in slowly. This was later on. I'm talking about after the mix was in the unit. Some pressure built up the flame polisher, and while unscrewing the cap some had gotten into the alcohol chamber, and spit out.

You should pour the lye (slowly) into the water, Clark, not the other way around. The same goes for acid. Lye is extremely caustic and will cause chemical burns if you get a concentrated solution on your skin... always wear protective gear when handling it.