PDA

View Full Version : Plywood coasters

Keith Winter
07-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys,

I originally posted this in projects but got no reply. Anyone have experience using plywood to make laser cut coasters? I see a lot of people doing coasters made of plywood and selling them. Any feedback to share on durability, will they last ok or fall apart in 3 weeks?

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't think they would last long. The whole purpose of a coaster is to absorb the liquid on a cold drink that condenses and rolls down the side of the glass. Plywood when it gets wet will eventually fall apart. If you seal the plywood it won't absorb the liquid . I you want to use plywood glue some cork to the underside , might work better.

Ross Moshinsky
07-13-2015, 1:12 PM
Seal them and I could see them lasting months. Don't seal them and I could see them lasting weeks. If you buy marine plywood and seal it, I think you could get more than a year of life.

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 2:40 PM
Ross did you see what I wrote if you seal the plywood you defeat the purpose of the coaster which is to absorb the liquid , sealed plywood won't .

Ross Moshinsky
07-13-2015, 3:57 PM
Ross did you see what I wrote if you seal the plywood you defeat the purpose of the coaster which is to absorb the liquid , sealed plywood won't .

Coasters are to prevent moisture from hitting your table. Some coasters absorb the moisture and others block it. Glass coasters have existed a long time and they don't absorb the moisture.

The question was about the durability of the product. I gave my opinion on how to make the product last. Make a coaster out of untreated plywood and it won't last long with regular use.

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 4:12 PM
I agree they will last sealed but the coasters in the picture have holes in them which will allow the liquid to reach the table sealed or not. All the glass, ceramic and other non absorbing coasters I have seen have a lip around the edge to catch the moisture or some sort of absorbing insert like cork or cardboard. So yes they will last longer if sealed but will not work well as a coaster with out additional work.

Coasters are to prevent moisture from hitting your table. Some coasters absorb the moisture and others block it. Glass coasters have existed a long time and they don't absorb the moisture.

The question was about the durability of the product. I gave my opinion on how to make the product last. Make a coaster out of untreated plywood and it won't last long with regular use.

Jerome Stanek
07-13-2015, 6:15 PM
I agree they will last sealed but the coasters in the picture have holes in them which will allow the liquid to reach the table sealed or not. All the glass, ceramic and other non absorbing coasters I have seen have a lip around the edge to catch the moisture or some sort of absorbing insert like cork or cardboard. So yes they will last longer if sealed but will not work well as a coaster with out additional work.

call them trivits

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 6:19 PM
Right they'll work fine as Trivets no liquid involved :)

call them trivits

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 6:22 PM
Keith most auto parts stores and maybe even wally world in auto section has rolls of cork for gasket material. Seal the plywood top and bottom and then glue a piece of cork to the bottom should work OK.

Hi Guys,

I originally posted this in projects but got no reply. Anyone have experience using plywood to make laser cut coasters? I see a lot of people doing coasters made of plywood and selling them. Any feedback to share on durability, will they last ok or fall apart in 3 weeks?

Keith Winter
07-13-2015, 6:39 PM
Keith most auto parts stores and maybe even wally world in auto section has rolls of cork for gasket material. Seal the plywood top and bottom and then glue a piece of cork to the bottom should work OK.

Thanks Bert! Thanks Ross!

Suggestions for a fast drying seal coat? (dry enough to wrap within an hour)

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 7:07 PM
mini wax polyurethane water based drys in about 10 min's here, but its hot and no humidity so might take you a little longer but no where near an hr
wheres your location

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2015, 7:38 PM
If you buy marine plywood and seal it, I think you could get more than a year of life.The problem with that is, the glue used in marine ply makes it an absolute pig to cut.

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2015, 7:40 PM
Keith most auto parts stores and maybe even wally world in auto section has rolls of cork for gasket material. Seal the plywood top and bottom and then glue a piece of cork to the bottom should work OK.Better yet, look in the shelf paper section at Home Depot, Target, whatever: they sell rolls of 1/16" self-adhesive cork (for drawer liner, I think).

Jay Selway
07-14-2015, 9:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I make the all the time. Just shipped an order this morning.

It's all in quality material. Stay away from MDF core Ply. Veneer core is best. Even better is veneer core that's made specifically for lasers.

Check out Boulter Plywood, ask for Chris or Leo and mention Jay from Jumbie Industries sent you.

There are a few things to consider.

1. Clean up is a pain in the butt.
I tend to mask everything with low tack masking tape just to cut down on my resin/smoke clean up. It's a hassle to get the tape up, but a simple piece of acrylic works as a nice scraper.

2. Make sure you clean up the burns on the side.
Nothing is more annoying for a client to pick up a coaster and get black soot all over their hands. I clamp all my coasters together and clean the edges with some rubbing alcohol.

3. Back it with cork.
Protect the customers furniture.

4. Seal it to prevent water damage.
I use osmo. It's food safe, easy to apply, and looks great.

I've been using this technique for a bout a year now and mine stand up to daily abuse. There are some other tricks to make it last longer and look better, but that's all just personal preference.

Jay Selway
07-14-2015, 9:51 AM

Osmo. It takes longer than that to fully cure, but you can handle it in about 30 minutes or so. I usually put on two coats.

Junior hall
07-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Jay Selway where do you get the Osmo at I tried looking that up but not finding any thing except for playground

Keith Winter
07-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Thank you for all the tips!

Jay Selway
07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Jay Selway where do you get the Osmo at I tried looking that up but not finding any thing except for playground

Amazon carries it. Osmo PolyX. It's not cheap, but the ease of use and quality finish makes up for the expense in time saved.

Jay Selway
07-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Thank you for all the tips!

No problem. If you need any leads on suppliers for coaster making, let me know. Shoot me an email through my site,. I've got good hook ups on plywood, cork, finish, etc. Happy to help.

Matt McCoy
07-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Coasters can also be used for hot drinks like coffee and tea, not just cold drinks with condensation.

hugh bunker
07-14-2015, 8:04 PM
I make them quite often for a pub up the street, the customers take them with them. I don't seal at all as they end up being a single use item and it works out well as payment for burgers and beers.

Matt McCoy
07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Plywood coasters are a lot of fun to make and are pretty hardy with cork.

https://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/157617886/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/IMG_6249.jpg

https://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/157617883/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/IMG_6248.jpg

https://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/157617892/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/IMG_6259.jpg

Linn Meyers
07-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Found these at Walmart. 4 for a buck. Had to remove autofocus pen to get over lip. Says made in USA but they're kinda crappy. One blob of hot glue to hold cork which leaves a bump...
Had to turn off air assist to keep from blowing 'em off the table... Probably won't last long but for a giveaway they're alright.

Keith Winter
07-16-2015, 8:43 PM
Great looking work Matt! Is that adhesive cork you cut and engraved and then stuck to plywood coasters you made?

Matt McCoy
07-16-2015, 9:20 PM
Thanks. I use spray adhesive.

Duncan Crawford
08-01-2015, 3:38 PM
Keith,

I've made veneer core plywood coasters on and off for the past five years, usually sealing them with General Finishes Armor-All. That's not quick to dry, but a soaking coat will dry in about three days with only minor lingering odor, and some of my original coasters that get daily use with a beer mug :-) are still going strong. Haven't tried Osmo since it's not locally available, but intend to order some for experimentation.

One coaster design I know works is posted in the Epilog Sample club-- my originals were made from 5mm maple-birch ply from the local Lowes. Another thing you could use if you have a vacuum pump/chamber is Cactus Juice stabilizer from TurnTex-- pen turners like the stuff-- once you've done the bake you have a totally sealed resin-filled coaster that should remain impervious to most anything for a very long time. Whole process takes less than three hours for a batch. The cured resin, at least on maple, really doesn't affect the quality of the engraving.

When the Lowes plywood was eventually discontinued by their clueless marketing weasels I found another brand at a speciality wood supplier, glue however not laser-friendly (just melted). So, if I need coasters now I'll cut them out on my CNC, use the outline via .eps transfer to Coreldraw to laser-cut a cardboard template to hold a set or sets, then do any necessary engraving.

duncan