PDA

View Full Version : Is there a drum sander for very light sanding/surface marring

Dexter Schiller
07-12-2015, 6:11 PM
Hey guys,
I've been lurking on these forums for ages, and finally had a question I couldn't find a decent answer to.

I'm wondering if there is a tool like a drum sander that is made to just slightly abrase surfaces. I'm working with an Melamine coated MDF, and I need to sand the parts before I can print on them to increase adhesion. On top of just needing to lightly buff the surface, there's another issue that I'm fighting, and that's the fact that the average size of the pieces are 6". I've come to understand that most drum sanders need more length to be functional.

Is there any sort of contraption that would work for what I need? I really don't want to sand them by hand (there are thousands of them...)

Thanks,
Dexter

Michael Arruda
07-12-2015, 8:04 PM
You could either go for a single drum conveyor feed, like a Performax- I have a Ryobi, which is a copy of the Performax, and it will work down to 3" length or so. I also have a Grizzly double drum, but it doesn't like much less than 8" length. Other option would be an inverted drum sander, like the sand flea sander, or make your own- very simple and fast to do with a couple pullies, a couple pillow blocks, an old motor and a melamine faced MDF table surface. The inverted would work, but require you to send the piece over the surface of the drum, unless you set up a power feeder of some sort.

John Lanciani
07-12-2015, 8:06 PM
Yes there is; http://www.supermaxtools.com/products-sanders/243649-superbrush/

Dexter Schiller
07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
@Michael- Would I be able to adjust such a drum sander to skim the surface just enough to break the sheen?

@John- That looks perfect, it's just a wee out of my price and size range. Does anyone make a similar machine on a smaller scale?

Michelle Rich
07-13-2015, 4:52 AM
@Michael- Would I be able to adjust such a drum sander to skim the surface just enough to break the sheen?

@John- That looks perfect, it's just a wee out of my price and size range. Does anyone make a similar machine on a smaller scale?

yes performax makes a `10-20 and grizzly makes what I think they call the Baby ?? I'm unsure what you are doing, but a random orbit sander with 600? grit , or a 1/4 sheet with 600 etc..or a 6x48 type with high grit?

Larry Frank
07-13-2015, 7:54 AM
There is a sander called the Sand-Flee which will sand just one side. There are also a kit to build one from Stockroom Supply. There are also plans out there to build your own.

ken masoumi
07-13-2015, 8:28 AM
As Larry mentioned , A 24" Flatmaster with fence (http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders/24-flatmaster-with-fences.html) is an option to consider.