PDA

View Full Version : 6" Infinity Dadonator

Steve Pencka
07-12-2015, 5:54 PM
Hi, First time posting here!! Great website for woodworking information!!

Wonder if anyone may have some advice? I have a new Bosch portable contractor saw and a 6" Infinity dado set - Dadonator. One of the chippers seems to cut a little deeper the the rest of the installed set. Other then the obvious, that one chipper may be incorrectly manufactured, is there anything else I might check or something else which might be causing this?

Thanks for any info!

Steve P.

Bruce Page
07-12-2015, 6:22 PM
About the only thing I can think of is to make sure you have a good fit with the arbor hole.
Welcome to SMC.

Brian Henderson
07-12-2015, 7:09 PM
If the chipper is bad, it should be easy to find out, just measure it up against another chipper. If they are the same length, that's not the problem.

Mel Fulks
07-12-2015, 7:27 PM
I would not worry about it. You always get the whole set sharpened when any of the pieces are dull even if some pieces have not been used at all. With that first sharpening you will see improvement. The mfg is not making sets. They are making pieces of sets. But I'm not predicting what the mfg would do if you decide to complain.

Andrew Gibson
08-14-2015, 2:35 PM
Hi Steve I am Andrew with Infinity Tools. If you watch our YouTube channel most likely you have seen me :)
I believe I have the exact same saw as you here in our shop that we use when we go to woodworking shows and also for certain classes.
With the Bosch saw I found that the arbor has a couple of flats on either side and the threads are fairly course. This can let one of the chippers in the stack fall into one of the threads and cause it to not align with the rest of the chippers.
A good way to check if it is the saw or the chipper is to make a test cut, then rearrange the stack and make a second cut. If the chipper is defective you will be able to watch it move around in the stack. If I recall correctly the spot on our saw that the chipper likes to drop into is around the 1/2" mark. Just rotating the arbor to the round portion seems to help get the chippers lined up fairly consistently.

Feel free to give is a shout if your still having trouble with the set.

Joseph Montroy
08-14-2015, 8:26 PM
Wow, now that's customer service right there! Good on you Andrew.

Peter Quinn
08-14-2015, 9:32 PM
In all the years Ive been a tool junkie and an Infinity fan this is the very first issue with an infinity product I've ever read about. I'm guessing its the saw. If Andrew's well though out method doesn't shed the light you need you could always find somebody locally with a cabinet saw and run a few test cuts on that...or mail it to me and I'll try it for you and send photos!;)

Roger Pozzi
08-15-2015, 7:30 AM
Wow, now that's customer service right there! Good on you Andrew.

That certainly is!!
When I encountered the same problem with my Bosch 4100, I was told that the arbor would have to be replaced. Luckily, I "discovered" exactly what Andrew said to be true. But, I'd never tell Bosch.:p