PDA

View Full Version : Using a router inlay kit

Chris Merriam
07-12-2015, 5:47 PM
I bought the Jasper butterfly template and since I already own a brass router bushing set I thought I was all set to go. But the instructions talk about using a router inlay kit with a specific 1/8 bit, bushing, and removable collar. One operation is done with the collar, and the other is done without the collar.

Can I do this with my own 1/8 straight bit and two bushings? I think the collar represents the width of the bit, so if I have two bushings that achieve the same, will it work ok? I've read about small tolerances in machining, etc that might cause an issue. What do you all think?

I'd rather not spend another +$50 on a bit set if I don't have to!

Lee Schierer
07-12-2015, 6:24 PM
There is nothing special about the router bit. However, the collars are such that you get the perfect offset from a single template. The bushing O.D. is. 311" and the collar O.D. is .563". Three is an o-ring inside the collar so it stays put on the bushing. If you have two bushings that are .252 different in diameter, you could use your regular bushing set. You need the extra .002" difference so that the inlay will fit inside the space you cut in the main wood.

Chris Merriam
07-12-2015, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I have Woodcraft's brass bushing kit, I doubt it's set up with that in mind but I'll take a look!

Jerry Thompson
07-12-2015, 6:44 PM
This is one I still can't get my mind around. When do I use the bushing? Is it to use when I use the template to cut the area out for the butter fly or to cut the butterfly? I can never remember and the numbers mean nothing to me.
Thank you.

Chris Merriam
07-12-2015, 6:56 PM
It's not the bushing, that gets used for both operations. It's the Collar, it does NOT get used to cut the key itself, but it DOES get used to cut the recess for the key.

the collar is a little doughnut that fits around the bushing shaft. As of three hours ago, I had never even heard of a bushing collar, LOL!

Jerry Thompson
07-12-2015, 8:35 PM
Thank you Chris. I copied it and saved it in my computer files.

Peter Aeschliman
07-13-2015, 2:21 PM
Side note- I've never had great success with these kits. I think the key is that you need to make sure the base plate and bushing insert on your router are perfectly centered on your bit. So I'd highly recommend buying one of those cone shaped centering bits, as explained in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNxhpVtGeg