PDA

View Full Version : Sign know-how

David Ragan
07-12-2015, 4:47 PM
A friend of mine who has done me a lot of favors mentioned last week that he might want me to use a router to make him a sign for his boat house.

I know nothing about all that.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to do it, if he is more specific in his request?

I can imagine a sign, in mahogany, about 18 by 24" with characters 2-4" high......

I have another friend who can zip it out on a CNC table, but it wouldn't be the same.

Joe Pelonio
07-12-2015, 9:28 PM
Woodworking and even tool places (Sears?) sell templates and jigs, you just choose and buy the font/size you want, put the letters into a frame, and go. To me that's not much more artistic than CNC. Using a wide tip felt pen, if you draw the letters freehand then have steady hands, go slow, and it will be handmade. I recently did one with a Dremel Trio, it took two passes to get deep enough on oak but a lot easier to handle for fine work than a regular router.

Mike Null
07-13-2015, 6:33 AM
I've made some boathouse signs out of Corian and they last forever.

Paul Phillips
07-13-2015, 11:54 AM
David, it sounds like you are a woodworker who wants to make a sign for the first time, no problem, you can do it! I started out in the '80s doing hand routed/carved wood signs, Mahogany would be beautiful, but a bit pricey, Cedar might be a more affordable option if needed. If you want detailed instructions on how to do it all by hand let me know, I can help!

David Ragan
07-15-2015, 11:28 AM
David, it sounds like you are a woodworker who wants to make a sign for the first time, no problem, you can do it! I started out in the '80s doing hand routed/carved wood signs, Mahogany would be beautiful, but a bit pricey, Cedar might be a more affordable option if needed. If you want detailed instructions on how to do it all by hand let me know, I can help!

Thanks, Paul.

If he gets more specific, I'll probably ask for your help!