PDA

View Full Version : My old GSP is heading off to the Vet in 2 days. Last trip...

Clarence Martin
07-12-2015, 4:22 PM
Well, I hate to do it, but the time has come. The old boy can't stand up anymore in the tub to take his bath and that Lipoma between his rear legs when I gave him a bath the other day is HUGE!!!:eek: When I lifted it up, it feels like a lot of fluid and then I felt the mass. I swear it must weigh almost the same as a shotgun! He can hardly walk, forget running. Then , when he laid down on the porch, I was able to listen to his breathing. Something going on in his lungs, Sounds something like a person that has Emphysema from smoking for many years.

Pardon my language , but this REALY SUCKS to have to do!!:(

The worst part, is that he has not turned mean , like some Dogs do when they get sick like this. He is still a happy Dog. He is just plain all worn out!

Clarence Martin
07-12-2015, 4:27 PM
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/canvasback1887/DSCN16541_zpsjkkqkc1f.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/canvasback1887/media/DSCN16541_zpsjkkqkc1f.jpg.html)

John A langley
07-12-2015, 4:32 PM
What a sweet looking dog hope all works out well for you

Clarence Martin
07-12-2015, 4:50 PM
Thank you. I will be changing Vets. Not happy with the outcome of this at all. I asked to get that thing removed a long time ago. But, I ended up taking the Vet's advice to "just let it be." Now, this is the size that it has grown to. What I found absolutely outrageous , was that the office secretary wanted to charge me for a "Wellness Exam" besides the euthanasia fee, just to have the Vet take a quick 1 minute look at my Dog , to tell me what I already know.

Lori Kleinberg
07-12-2015, 4:52 PM
I totally understand what you are going through. We just lost our Chihuahua, Duchess. We got her when she was 8 weeks old and lost her at 14.5 years. It is never easy. Wish you the best.

George Bokros
07-12-2015, 5:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. It is always hard to loose a pet. He is one handsome dog.

We had two with cancer and one that was diabetic. One of the dogs that had cancer had surgery then chemo, was quite expensive but we enjoyed his company for another 5 years. The worst part was that he became in pain on Christmas Eve five years later and the vet gave him a shot said he should be fine. Well by 10:00 pm we had to take him to the emergency vet center. They advised that he would not get any better so their recommendation was to let him go. That same vet when we got a new dog did not even take his temperature when we took him for his new pet exam. Needless to say we do no see that vet any more. There are at least five vets in that practice and we now always ask for one specific vet but will see any oneof them but the one that gave us the wrong treatment that Christmas Eve. That was the worst Christmas our family ever had.

William C Rogers
07-12-2015, 5:06 PM
It is never easy. The only thing is for the dogs sake it is better than the pain. 2 years ago it was time for my dog at 17 years. I just tell myself I gave her the best life she could ever wanted and she showed her thanks to me all those years. Still miss her and he little quirks.

Paul McGaha
07-12-2015, 5:16 PM
Clarence,

I'm very sorry that your friend is sick. We went thru this the end of May with our dog. It is very sad. I'm glad he's still in good spirits, Our dog was like that too. Thanks for including the picture, he's a very handsome dog. I hope this goes as well as possible for you and your dog.

Lori - I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Duchess. I'm glad you guys had so many good years together.

PHM

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-12-2015, 5:57 PM
I'm sorry to read about your old boy. I agree with you that it's time to find a new vet based on wanting to do a wellness exam. You have obviously been paying close attention to his health issues and have not taken this decision lightly. You have made your decision based on facts instead of emotions. It's great to read that he's still happy. No doubt he's been that way his whole life and enjoys being part of your family.

Someone gave me a bit of advice when it was time to let go of my Old Man. She suggested I do something that was part of our routine in his youth and spend some quality time with him on that day. When my Old Man was a youngster, I took him to a certain park every day to play ball and train. It had been 6+ years since we went there (as it was in another town). I drove my Old Man out to that park and we slowly walked around. I could tell he knew exactly where we were and I was very thankful my friend had suggested it.

Another friend suggested that when the time comes, bring a jar of peanut butter (or something else he liked) and feed him a spoonful of that while they administer the dosage. My Old Man passed on peacefully while he licked the peanut butter. He never noticed the shot.

Robert Payne
07-12-2015, 6:09 PM
I must agree with Mike Chance -- a great suggestion. I've gone through what you face many times with several canine family members and it is never easy, but it is clear that you know it is his time. If I can offer any solace, please be sure to read the link I have attached (https://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm) -- it should give you some comfort. I had to put my good buddy Badger down a year ago and miss him every day.

Jerry Thompson
07-12-2015, 6:40 PM
Clarence, we had to have our Samoyed put down last September. I cried more over him that I did a lot of people I knew. It ain't easy and my heart goes out to you.

Frederick Skelly
07-12-2015, 6:45 PM
I'm sorry too Clarence. It DOES really suck.
Fred

Erik Loza
07-12-2015, 6:47 PM
Been there, it sucks. You think you're ready for it but you're not. My deepest sympathies.

Erik

Mel Fulks
07-12-2015, 7:43 PM
So sorry. Many of us cry more tears over pets than people. It's your responsible acceptance of the fact that you are totally responsible for their care.

Pat Barry
07-13-2015, 7:56 AM
Someone gave me a bit of advice when it was time to let go of my Old Man. She suggested I do something that was part of our routine in his youth and spend some quality time with him on that day. When my Old Man was a youngster, I took him to a certain park every day to play ball and train. It had been 6+ years since we went there (as it was in another town). I drove my Old Man out to that park and we slowly walked around. I could tell he knew exactly where we were and I was very thankful my friend had suggested it.
This is a great idea. I wish I had the chance to do that with my Yellow Lab Bridget. Unfortunately she died from a massive hemorrhage / aneurysm about an hour after she brought me the morning paper like she did every day. Still get choked up when I thin about that and it was 5 years ago.

Joe Kieve
07-13-2015, 8:22 AM
Prayers for you and your family. It's never an easy thing to do...but it's the right thing. Had to put ours of 18 years down and Mama and I decided the we didn't want that kind of pain again, so haven't replaced with another...yet.

Raymond Fries
07-13-2015, 1:43 PM
So sorry...

Been there before in my home and it really does SUCK to have to put them down.

There will always those special memories to live on with.

Gordon Eyre
07-13-2015, 2:17 PM
So sorry to hear that, I am facing the same thing with my Sheltie. I have tried to work up the courage to take him to the vet but so far I have been unable to do it. Perhaps next week.

Clarence Martin
07-13-2015, 3:24 PM
Well, hopefully it won't rain tomorrow till after the deed is done. To fully understand the extent of my Dog's tumor and why I have decided that it is time, here are two pictures that show how big it is. I can't believe the Vet said to "Just let it be." :mad: 5 years ago, it was a lot smaller and could have been easily taken off.. Won't go to that Vet again!!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/canvasback1887/DSCN16421_zpsjuxtocj4.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/canvasback1887/media/DSCN16421_zpsjuxtocj4.jpg.html)

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/canvasback1887/DSCN16381_zps5lkowqny.jpg (http://s760.photobucket.com/user/canvasback1887/media/DSCN16381_zps5lkowqny.jpg.html)

Phil Thien
07-13-2015, 4:05 PM
That is the absolute definition of "sucks."

Been there, done that, will probably have to do it again some day.

My deepest sympathies.

Tonight I'm going to play extra with my best friend and think about you and yours.

Kent A Bathurst
07-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Very close, long-time friend in Michigan is a vet.

He/they have always had a variety of critters, including a dog.

He is the most "clinical" pet owner you can envision, of course, but it still breaks him up on the last ride to the clinic.

Lori Kleinberg
07-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Thank you Paul and sorry for your loss also.
Gordon I know it is a very hard decision, but consider the suffering of the dog to help ease your own pain.
Because we are pet lovers, this is an inevitable fact of life, we must face and it never gets easier.

paul cottingham
07-14-2015, 2:26 AM
Feel for you. I lost both of my beloved cats within 3 months of one another, we were together for 19 years. For those of you who would say "it's just a cat" they got me through a divorce, losing both parents, and a child being diagnosed with autism. They met us at the door like dogs every day when we came home, and came to their own names. When I met my wife, she told me she couldn't ever live with cats, I told her they weren't negotiable. She cried as hard as me when they passed. Still miss them.

Rich Engelhardt
07-14-2015, 7:51 AM
You have my deepest sympathies.

That last trip is the worst thing in the world.

Bill Clifton
07-14-2015, 10:41 PM
A quote on our current calendar said "My gift to you is a dog, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind". It is true and is the reason it is so hard to let go.

Clarence Martin
07-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Thank you for all the replies. Well, it got done at a little after Noon today. Had a good friend take me and my dog to the Vet. I ended up speaking at length to the Vet , who looked my old boy over more thoroughly than I thought she would , considering it would be his last time. I told her that I counted 10 or 12 tumors that could either be seen or felt. My friend asked the Vet if she had ever seen a tumor so large as the one that was on my Dog. The Vet said "Only twice " . We talked for some time about it, and I said that had I'd known that it would get this large, I would of had it removed when it was first noticed.

The Vet then suggested doing one last Hail Mary pass at trying to remove that thing. :eek: My friend and I both looked at each other, and she was the first one to speak up, and she said "NO, the dog has been through enough." The Vet did say that my Dog had Cancer 5 different times. She said that there was possibility given the number of times Cancer was found, that if they took chest X-rays, they might end up finding he is loaded with Cancer.

Well, that was the end of that.

If I get another Dog, it will be an Adult Dog, Something out of the Puppy stage. Love the GSP. But might look into an English Setter.

Paul McGaha
07-15-2015, 6:57 AM
Clarence,

I'm glad you're dog isn't suffering anymore. I know you're hurting and I hope that you heal well.

I also hope that after what you consider the right amount of time you get yourself another dog. I think that life really is better when shared with a good dog. I'm sure it's the same for people that like cats.

PHM

Curt Harms
07-15-2015, 8:06 AM
I'm having a couple thoughts after reading through this thread. First, my thoughts are with Clarence. Dogs give unconditional love. Some vets do house calls which may be less stressful for all involved. Comparing dogs to cats I think one difference is that dogs love and trust humans unless a human demonstrate they aren't trustworthy. Cats tend to be sceptical of unknown humans until they prove they are trustworthy, and that can take quite some time.

Bruce Page
07-15-2015, 1:12 PM
Clarence, I am sorry for your loss.

Mike Cutler
07-15-2015, 3:27 PM
Clarence

I'm so sorry that you had to make that decision. I've done it three times with my vizslas , and it breaks me up each time.
I keep saying I won't get another vizsla, but I've gotten two since I it my last boy down.
Don't dwell on what you did,or did not do. You provided a safe loving home for your dog, and that's all he ever wanted from you.

Shawn Pachlhofer
07-15-2015, 5:17 PM
Sorry for your loss.

my weimaraner (the one that lives with my mom) has lipomas all over him. 5 years ago, she had one removed from his chest that had gotten about as large as a baseball. The only reason they removed it was because he had started to try scratching at it.

generally lipomas are just fatty tumors that have no adverse affect on the dog other than making them look "lumpy" - Zeppelin now has a large lipoma on his left shoulder. He looks like "the hunchback of Notre Dame" - but it doesn't bother him. He's at such an advanced age now (14) that the vet does not recommend surgery and to just let him live out life as a fat, lazy, lumpy, happy dog.

my weimaraner (the other one that lives with me) is much younger and already has 2 small lipomas and an ugly looking skin tag. I'll probably have the skin tag removed because she's starting to lick at it and it looks gross.

I wouldn't be too hard on the vet for not removing the lipoma. They are common in weimaraners, and since weims, GSPs and viszla share some heritage, they probably are common in GSPs as well. If it's bothering the dog, then yes, it should be removed. But many times, the risk of anaesthesia & surgery is not just not worth the risk of losing your dog to it.