PDA

View Full Version : It would seem...

steven c newman
07-12-2015, 12:29 PM
That a handsaw I srounged up at a garage sell a while back has some use after all...

26" long, 1928 to WWII Disston D-23......RIP saw. A checking in at the Disstonian provided a few items. The Bolts for this one are brass. The teeth count is 6ppi.
Etch on the blade ( faint one) says it is a D-23. Might just sharpen it back up as a rip saw. Seems Disston sold a few in that type.
This si after a clean up. BTW, price? FREE

So, do i have a decent rip saw? Blade has zero pitting, and is straight as an arrow. Handle hasn't a sincle crack in it, even...

Wood appears to be apple.

Jim Koepke
07-12-2015, 1:46 PM
So, do i have a decent rip saw?

Hey, if you don't like it, you can send it to me. :D

jtk

bridger berdel
07-12-2015, 1:54 PM
How's it cut?

Tom M King
07-12-2015, 2:59 PM
It will do just fine. I knew a couple of old carpenters back in the '80s, then known as the best around, both now gone, who loved the D23's.

steven c newman
07-12-2015, 3:39 PM
Well, after a refeshing of the BIG rip teeth, I tried it out..
Had to add a little candle wax to the blade
Not too bad. Did a bit more cleaning, trying to raise the etch a little bit better. I did find a BIG "6" stamped at the heel.
Hands don't hurt, I am a bit winded ( COPD) but the saw never bound up. Me LIKEY!

steven c newman
07-13-2015, 7:57 PM
That pine 1x4 used to be part of the saw vise, end was cut to match this saw's handle. Didn't take all that long to file the teeth. Didn't even have to joint them. Next time..I will get two 1x4s that reach the entire length of a saw's plate. Having to stop and move things down the line makes it hard to keep track of where I was.

Nice, compfy saw to use. Takes about two tries to start a cut, but once it is going, no other problems.

Might find a stool to sit on, or just clear the top of Tool Chest #1......Need to make a home for a few things, first
six braces, and a whole bunch of bits.....

steven c newman
07-15-2015, 1:57 PM
I did come up with a handle for the file...
Seem to make things a bit easier. Not having to worry about how to grip the tang on the file, I could focus more on what the file was doing. hands didn't even hurt when I got done! Had to shorten the tang a smidge, enough for a good grip by the thumbscrew on the handle. maybe someday, I can find/make a knob for the end of the handle. Ferrel says it is made by Bridgeport....