PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Grinding Question

Larry Gelder
08-17-2005, 6:59 PM
Hey Thals,

Any of you hollow grind laminated blades? I bought one from the JapanWW for a #6 plane. I haven't flattened the back or sharpened it yet.

Richard Gillespie
08-17-2005, 8:22 PM
Not to be a PIA but by definition, if you use a round grinding wheel, You are probably hallow grinding. This is especially true if the grind traverse from the front to the back. Anytime the grind leaves a depression on the surface being ground it is hallow grinding. :eek:

Tim Sproul
08-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Hollow grinding that isn't a problem. But you should hone it so the bevel is flat or only a trace of the hollow grind remains. The more brittle steel at the cutting edge needs the support of the softer iron....which isn't there if you leave the hollow.

Any particular reason you need to hollow grind a new iron? Is it that far out of wack?

Steve Kubien
08-18-2005, 3:53 PM
I thought it was a no-no to hollow grind a laminated blade. My memory (for what good it usually does me) recalls tales of woe regarding Japanese irons/chisels (but I don't know why).

Steve Kubien

Dennis McDonaugh
08-18-2005, 4:33 PM
Larry, a laminated blade provides the same advantage as hollow grinding a blade--easier honing. The laminated blade does it by providing a softer steel for most of the thickness of the blade while the hollow grind does it by removing metal. Either way provides easier honing. Its not a "bad" thing to hollow grind a laminated blade unless you are talking about a Japanese blade. Laminated western blades don't use a hard and brittle steel for the cutting edges so you don't loose much in the way of durability. I don't think a Japanese iron would last very long if you hollow ground it because they are just too brittle. The hollow grind would remove too much of the support for the edge.

Tim Sproul
08-18-2005, 4:43 PM
TAKE 2!

<snap>

You can hollow grind a Japanese cutting tool. You may anger some sharpening kami out there but don't worry. You just need to re-establish a flat bevel again following the hollow grinding.

Larry Gelder
08-18-2005, 9:23 PM
I guess the hollow gringing establishes a discernible reference for sharpening, but hey, I'm a newbie ... what do I know