PDA

View Full Version : Which Dowel Jig?

Allan Speers
07-11-2015, 9:56 PM
I know this has been covered many times, but a lot of old threads seem to be discussing the original Beadlock, not the Pro, and most don't ever mention the Jessem. Plus, the newest detailed thread is from 2012, and things change.

I'm tired of doing blind M&T's by hand, and want to get something .... So: Cost aside, any INFORMED opinions on the strengths & weaknesses:

Dowelmax, vs Beadlock Pro, vs the Jessem?

Frank Martin
07-11-2015, 11:58 PM
The newer Jessem (without built-in clamp) seems to be the most popular. I just purchased one but have not had a change to use yet. There are several threads on this if you would like to search and read.

Mark Blatter
07-12-2015, 12:05 AM
I have the Jessem Paralign and like it. It is easy to use and my experience is that it is accurate.

Dan Rude
07-12-2015, 1:49 AM
I have the newer Jesse doweling Jig. It is very accurate for set up. I did have a bit of a learning curve, only because I was using some old stock 2x4 material that was actually larger than today's. Once I kept the stock to the same size wood I did not have a problem. Very easy to clamp and reference to an edge. I bought the deluxe version with all three bit sizes. If you want a through review of the other one, Bill Huber did a very good one on it awhile back. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?150851-Jessem-doweling-jig-flat-work-adapter Dan

Roger Pozzi
07-12-2015, 7:31 AM
I'm confused. :confused: The Dowelmax and Jessum Paralign are doweling jigs. The Beadlock Pro is a tennoning jog. How can these be compared to one another?

Phil Thien
07-12-2015, 8:58 AM
I'm confused. :confused: The Dowelmax and Jessum Paralign are doweling jigs. The Beadlock Pro is a tennoning jog. How can these be compared to one another?

I think it can be used as a doweling jig, too. Just drill one set of holes and use dowels.

To use as a Beadlock, you have to drill two sets of holes (requires shifting the guide block a half step).

I haven't tried it, but you get a lot for your money.

Don Dorn
07-12-2015, 6:02 PM
I've used the beadlock and while it worked, it's on a shelf or box somewhere. I can't speak to the Jessem, but have been using the Dowelmax for a number of years with no complaints. With two 1/8th shims (bought an extra), I can use it for reveals from 1/8th to and inch very easily. I hesitated using it for a kitchen table for someone, but used (5) 2" dowels against each leg/apron. That made 40 of them in the table and as I understand it, is going strong.

If it gets loose and the glue gives way after I'm in the ground, it's very easy for someone to "re-do" or repair it.

Allan Speers
07-12-2015, 6:35 PM

They're all designed to let you use multiple dowels "right next to" each other, in effect creating a tenon.

Von Bickley
07-12-2015, 7:07 PM
The newer Jessem (without built-in clamp) seems to be the most popular. I just purchased one but have not had a change to use yet. There are several threads on this if you would like to search and read.

This is the one that I have. Here is a short video showing how it works.
http://jessem.com/DOWELLING_JIG.html

Jebediah Eckert
07-12-2015, 8:25 PM
If you buy the Jessem I'm pretty sure Lee Valley has the cheapest price. I just ordered one but haven't received it yet.

Allan Speers
07-12-2015, 9:07 PM
I have the newer Jesse doweling Jig. It is very accurate for set up. I did have a bit of a learning curve, only because I was using some old stock 2x4 material that was actually larger than today's. Once I kept the stock to the same size wood I did not have a problem. Very easy to clamp and reference to an edge. I bought the deluxe version with all three bit sizes. If you want a through review of the other one, Bill Huber did a very good one on it awhile back. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?150851-Jessem-doweling-jig-flat-work-adapter Dan

Dan, the only thing I don't like about the Jessem is that it doesn't put the dowels very close together. Thus, in something like a chair stretcher, or a style connected to a thinnish apron, it seems you couldn't get as much surface area as with the other two systems.

Is this not so? Is there some way to adjust the Jessem for tighter spacing?

Phil Thien
07-12-2015, 9:47 PM
Dan, the only thing I don't like about the Jessem is that it doesn't put the dowels very close together. Thus, in something like a chair stretcher, or a style connected to a thinnish apron, it seems you couldn't get as much surface area as with the other two systems.

Is this not so? Is there some way to adjust the Jessem for tighter spacing?

The DowelMax and Jessem spacing is identical on 3/8" (and that would be .75" center-to-center). On the newer Jessem, if you switch to the 1/4" bushings, your spacing is .5" center-to-center. On the DowelMax and original Jessem Paralign, the spacing is fixed at the .75".

Can't speak to the Beadlock stuff, I don't have one.

Allan Speers
07-12-2015, 9:49 PM
Thanks, Phil.

that's definitely a point in favor of the new Jessem, vs the Dowelmax.