PDA

View Full Version : Which version Corel Draw

Joe Hopper
07-11-2015, 4:55 PM
I am in the research phase of deciding which laser (probably 50w. 24x12), to buy and wanted to get a head start on Corel. I see both Draw Graphics Suite X7 and Home & Student X7. I will be working primarily with wood--signage,graphics,photos,engraving turned objects and I don't know what else as of yet. Since this will only be for a very small business will the Home & Student version suffice?

Mike Troncalli
07-11-2015, 5:16 PM
Essentially they are the same product.. Biggest difference is that you are not allowed to use the Home and Student version for commercial use...

Rich Harman
07-11-2015, 7:32 PM
... Since this will only be for a very small business will the Home & Student version suffice?

No. Unless you are that "type" of person.

Gary Hair
07-11-2015, 8:13 PM
the only difference in features is that H&S doesn't have macro capabilities. If you are a business then it's a moot point, you can't use H&S as a business. Buck it up and spend the money on a full version, if you can't afford it then you should rethink your business plan. As a side note - I just bought X6 on Amazon for $169. I called the serial number in to Corel and they verified it was a legit, full version.

Joe Hopper
07-11-2015, 8:33 PM
the only difference in features is that H&S doesn't have macro capabilities. If you are a business then it's a moot point, you can't use H&S as a business. Buck it up and spend the money on a full version, if you can't afford it then you should rethink your business plan. As a side note - I just bought X6 on Amazon for $169. I called the serial number in to Corel and they verified it was a legit, full version.

Thanks to all for the advice. I can afford the full version but could not afford the mistake I could have made. Glad you guys are here.

AL Ursich
07-11-2015, 8:34 PM
And Software is a Tax Deduction so it's all good....

Bert Kemp
07-11-2015, 11:25 PM
ok first of all I have a full com version but my question is if you have a HXS version and you designed say a toy car and cut that car with your laser you can't sell that car because it was designed with an HXS version of corel?

Rich Harman
07-11-2015, 11:34 PM
ok first of all I have a full com version but my question is if you have a HXS version and you designed say a toy car and cut that car with your laser you can't sell that car because it was designed with an HXS version of corel?

That's correct. The purpose of non-commercial versions of software is to allow people to use said software for personal use - not so that they can use the software, then sell what they made with the software.

Gary Hair
07-12-2015, 12:51 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I can afford the full version but could not afford the mistake I could have made. Glad you guys are here.

Some people get it, some people don't, glad you do!

Roy Sanders
07-12-2015, 11:23 AM
I am in the research phase of deciding which laser (probably 50w. 24x12), to buy and wanted to get a head start on Corel. I see both Draw Graphics Suite X7 and Home & Student X7. I will be working primarily with wood--signage,graphics,photos,engraving turned objects and I don't know what else as of yet. Since this will only be for a very small business will the Home & Student version suffice?

HI just bought a laser/engraver. My news is don't by suite x 7, particularly before getting your laser. Most laser descriptions may say 'Corel Draw' but then when you attempt to get the laser interacting with the software, it won't. Buy Corel Draw x 6 and you will be safe. There is only a penny's worth of difference between the x's.

You will notice as you read these threads that many of us use the later versions.
There is my nickel, minus taxes, now two cents :D

Roy

Joe Hopper
07-12-2015, 2:31 PM
OK Roy, Now what do I do? I am running Win 8.1 with AMD processors because I wanted everything faster, but now that doesn't look so good. It seems that Epilog,Trotec and Universal only go up to Win 7 and Corel X6 is the same. Did I shoot myself in the foot and is that blood or ketchup on the floor? Is there anyway around this?

Joe

Bert Kemp
07-12-2015, 3:50 PM
means more choice and more ways to connect, create and share with Corel software. Current Corel products that run on Windows 8*:

AfterShot™ Pro
CorelDRAW® Essentials X6
CorelDRAW & PHOTO-PAINT Essentials X6
CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite X6, X7
CorelDRAW® Home & Student Suite X6
CorelCAD™

http://www.corel.com/us/corel-and-windows-8-compatibility/

Gary Hair
07-12-2015, 4:12 PM
OK Roy, Now what do I do? I am running Win 8.1 with AMD processors because I wanted everything faster, but now that doesn't look so good. It seems that Epilog,Trotec and Universal only go up to Win 7 and Corel X6 is the same. Did I shoot myself in the foot and is that blood or ketchup on the floor? Is there anyway around this?

Joe

Are you saying that Epilog, Trotec and Universal won't work on a computer running Win 8 but will work on Win 7? Is it a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue or a general operating system issue?

I'm using X6 on my Win 8.1 machines, seems to be fine. My 9 year old laser doesn't have 64 bit drivers so I have to use Win 7 for it, but everything else runs on Win 8.1.

Joe Hopper
07-12-2015, 5:16 PM
Are you saying that Epilog, Trotec and Universal won't work on a computer running Win 8 but will work on Win 7? Is it a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue or a general operating system issue?

I'm using X6 on my Win 8.1 machines, seems to be fine. My 9 year old laser doesn't have 64 bit drivers so I have to use Win 7 for it, but everything else runs on Win 8.1.
T
Thanks for the reply Gary. Well I made a mistake on the Epilog, it does run Win 8. The ULS only indicates XP/Vista/7-32/64 and Trotec doesn't specify so I will check with both of them. I am still looking and do not have a laser yet.
My info on Corel X6 came from Amazon site, but if it works for you, that is good enough for me. Guess I need a better spreadsheet for my info so it doesn't wind up as misinfo.

Joe

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2015, 6:34 PM
Joe, I'm sure all 3 of those will run under W8. W10 is coming out at the end of this month, so I'm fairly certain all of them are compatible with 8.

Mike Null
07-13-2015, 6:50 AM
Buy the latest version of CorelDraw.

Roy Sanders
07-13-2015, 3:49 PM
Hi Mike

I am not certain your advice "buy the latest version" is helpful. Many of the post on this thread do not support that. I had to get Amazon to allow me to return my x7 and buy x6. I actually had the laser rep on my pc remotely from China to finally admit that their machines will not work with x7.
Curiously your signature has x5.

Roy

Mike Null
07-13-2015, 3:59 PM
Roy

I have purchased X7. I believe in using the latest version--usually I skip one then buy the upgrade--because many of my customers send files which can't be opened with earlier versions. Usually the extra options are nice as well but I could still do the job with the earliest version I own were it not for the customer files. I have V8, V11, X3, X5 and X7.

If your machine won't work with X7 then it's an easy decision.

Scott Shepherd
07-13-2015, 4:04 PM
Roy, what's not to work with their software? I don't know the workflow of your laser, but my guess is that it doesn't print right from CorelDraw, does it? If it doesn't, and you are opening the CorelDraw file in Laser Draw, then you can save it backwards in CorelDraw. You could use X7 and have it save to X6, which would work, and still allow you to use the latest software. I know a lot of the Chinese software doesn't like more modern files. Adobe Illustrator is on version 17 or something, and the Chinese software seems to be happiest if you are saving the Illustrator file to v8.

Just something to think about, but sounds like you're up and running, so that's all that matters.

Bert Kemp
07-13-2015, 4:17 PM
Question Can x7 be purchased outright and used at home with out the cloud service. I realize that the cloud will give me all the up dates as they come out, But can you just buy it and use it with out that???

Roy, what's not to work with their software? I don't know the workflow of your laser, but my guess is that it doesn't print right from CorelDraw, does it? If it doesn't, and you are opening the CorelDraw file in Laser Draw, then you can save it backwards in CorelDraw. You could use X7 and have it save to X6, which would work, and still allow you to use the latest software. I know a lot of the Chinese software doesn't like more modern files. Adobe Illustrator is on version 17 or something, and the Chinese software seems to be happiest if you are saving the Illustrator file to v8.

Just something to think about, but sounds like you're up and running, so that's all that matters.

Scott Shepherd
07-13-2015, 4:19 PM
I have no idea Bert. I'm on X5 and haven't even looked at X6 or X7.

Rich Harman
07-13-2015, 4:24 PM
I actually had the laser rep on my pc remotely from China to finally admit that their machines will not work with x7.

My laser software has a plugin available for CorelDraw. All it does is export a file from Corel into the laser software, automatically opening the file in the laser software. You should be able to use any version of Corel to export a file, then open (import) that file in your laser program. The plugin doesn't do anything except save a couple clicks.

Joel Ifill
07-13-2015, 5:27 PM
Running windows 8.1 Corel X7 and Adobe CS3 with trotec job control, having no issues. Honestly if something runs in windows 7 it would be very rare for it not to work in windows 8.1 and that includes some of my legacy software from the mid 2000's.

I believe all of the modern lasers are using printer drivers and should work just fine in Windows 8.1.

Mike Null
07-13-2015, 5:54 PM
Bert
I bought X7 upgrade from the Corel site. I always buy the CD. No subscription yet but there are advantages to that plan as well.