PDA

View Full Version : Tear out free dado in cherry?

David Ragan
07-11-2015, 2:27 PM
Hi,

Have recently had some tear out using a cheesy bradpoint bit on some cherry for the hope chest. (Greene and Greene-combo of Darrell Peart and Mark Spagnuolo's designs.)

So, I thought before cutting the stopped dado/groove around the inside (for the cherry ply bottom), I would ask you all what is the safest way to do it? For no tear out.

3/4" wide, maybe 3/8" deep.

chest is about 18 by 28"

Have DeWalt Dado stack, and lots of cool Neander tools, but aint excited about Neander way of doing it.

Nor, do I want to buy a compression bit.

I have some Whiteside straight double fluted bits.

Thoughts?

scott vroom
07-11-2015, 9:21 PM
Not familiar with the DeWalt dado stack. If the 2 outside cutters are SHARP carbide teeth then you should be OK with multiple passes, taking out just a little bit at a time. Test it out on a piece of scrap and you'll have your answer.

In the past when I've been concerned with dado tear out I've pre-cut the inside and outside edges of the dado with a sharp TS blade, and then cleaned up the middle with the dado stack. A PITA setup, but effective.

Warren Lake
07-11-2015, 10:24 PM
solid or veneer? veneer more likely to chip they have negative rake dadoe blades think the set i have are Dimar they work well no blow out cross grain.

Brian Holcombe
07-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Mark with a knife first.

Martin Wasner
07-12-2015, 7:18 AM
Do a climb cut to more or less score it with the dado head in the table saw. If you're not familiar with the maneuver, then you probably shouldn't do it though.

David Ragan
07-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I was relieved to figure out that it will be a groove, not a dado.

glenn bradley
07-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I was relieved to figure out that it will be a groove, not a dado.

But it is still "stopped", right? The router is the tool of choice for me for stopped dados. Any sharp straight bit gives me good results in cherry; not so in all materials but cherry is pretty machinable. Certainly scoring the outside lines with a knife will help if your cutters are giving you poor results. Downcut spirals will also give a cleaner result than an upcut but, 2 flute straight bits work fine for me. Take multiple passes for a cut that large. given the rule of thumb of a maximum material removal per pass of 3/8" square, a 3/16" deep by 3/4" pass would be your max. In tearout prone woods I take a first pass of 1/32" to 1/16", then 1/8" bits to completion.

David Ragan
07-12-2015, 12:43 PM
But it is still "stopped", right? The router is the tool of choice for me for stopped dados. Any sharp straight bit gives me good results in cherry; not so in all materials but cherry is pretty machinable. Certainly scoring the outside lines with a knife will help if your cutters are giving you poor results. Downcut spirals will also give a cleaner result than an upcut but, 2 flute straight bits work fine for me.

Yes, stopped.

For this downcut spiral router bit, the wider bit will give me longer life, and be a cleaner cut, and less chance of breakage? Is there a downside to using as wide a bit as the router will hold for any given job?

What brands do you all like?

Kent A Bathurst
07-12-2015, 2:13 PM
Dude -

Make the stopped groove/dado 1/2" W x 3/8" D. Use the simplest/fastest method you have. Worry not about tear-out - - it will never be seen [we, of course, will always know it is there - deal with it].

Use your very best ply saw blade on your TS to "outline" the corresponding rabbet in the top side of the py bottom.

THen -
[a] put on dado stack to take the rest of the rabbet; OR
[b] bump the TS fence a couple times to keep taking single-blade kerfs off; clean up with chisel/rabbet block/summit; OR
[c] neander router plane, OR
[d] whatever - get rid of the rest of the waste to create the rabbet - it can be ugly as sin also, because it will never be seen.

You need to have that one cut on the top surface [all 4 sides, of course] of the ply bottom be perfect - it will hide whatever mess you created with the groove/dado.