PDA

View Full Version : Green dot by some posters names???

Mike Berrevoets
07-10-2015, 9:01 PM
I just noticed dots by posters names in threads. Some are green and some are blank. I'm guessing green means the poster is logged in?

Have the dots always been there? I've been reading posts for a few years and never noticed it before.

I'm either oblivious, gone off the deep end or its new. Or all three.....

Steve Kinnaird
07-10-2015, 9:04 PM
Yes, it indicates that they are online.

Bruce Page
07-10-2015, 9:05 PM
Green means that person is logged in and they've always been there. ;)

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2015, 8:33 AM
Yes - green means the user is logged in.

You can also control the green dot via your user profile. If you don't want the green dot to show you as being online, you can turn that feature off in your user profile.

I usually turn it off or disable it because I never log in or log out. I stay logged in all the time 24 by 7.
I don't want anyone to mistake the green dot for me being available on line to respond to a private message & get the wrong impression that I'm ignoring them if/when I don't respond right away.

Mike Berrevoets
07-11-2015, 8:45 AM
I'm just dumbfounded that I've been reading the forums for two years everyday and never noticed the dots. Makes me wonder what else I haven't noticed..... :)

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2015, 7:50 PM
You did catch the dancing girls in the Shop Made Tools and Tools forum didn't you?

They perform every other Tuesday.....

Keith Outten
07-12-2015, 2:02 AM
Yes - green means the user is logged in.

You can also control the green dot via your user profile. If you don't want the green dot to show you as being online, you can turn that feature off in your user profile.

I usually turn it off or disable it because I never log in or log out. I stay logged in all the time 24 by 7.
I don't want anyone to mistake the green dot for me being available on line to respond to a private message & get the wrong impression that I'm ignoring them if/when I don't respond right away.

Rich,

The system here automatically logs you out after 30 minutes of inactivity. Your browser saves your login information and automatically logs you in when you return.
There is a limit to the number of people who can be connected simultaneously based on server capacity.