PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Rails (Pics)

Richard Wolf
08-17-2005, 5:43 PM
Doing outside railings is not something that I really like to do. It's summer in Southampton, it's hot, and being up on the second floor doesn't help. We spent 2 days putting this rail together, a lot of hardware had to be mortised into the posts and bottom of the rails.
The rail system is made up of High density foan over alum. on the rails and balusters and PVC on the post.
Another nice looking house, not mine.

Richard

Alan Turner
08-17-2005, 5:48 PM
You do nice work in a nice neighborhood.

Dan Stuewe
08-17-2005, 5:53 PM
That looks real sharp!

One question though, what is done with the space between the rails and the roof? Seems like an opening that UBC wouldn't allow.

Richard Wolf
08-17-2005, 5:58 PM
That looks real sharp!

One question though, what is done with the space between the rails and the roof? Seems like an opening that UBC wouldn't allow.

You are right Dan, the GC was going to build some planters and benches there. Now the homeowners are talking about extending the railing back, I hope not, I don't want to go back again.

Richard

Steve Clardy
08-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Looks good Richard. But I don't envy you. I don't do outside railing unless it's a covered porch, and all wood. No plastic for me. Usually the framers around here do the plastic work.

Herb Kelley
08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Beautiful job, great photos.
The gap between the rail and roof looks like a creative solution is needed.
Clearly a code code and a property owner liability nightmare.
Cannot imagine how a rail extension can be supported without making holes in the roof.
I know you do not want to go back but could you post the solution even if it is just in words?

Richard Wolf
08-18-2005, 3:06 PM
Herb, I wasn't clear before, the homeowner is now thinking of running three new sections of rail along the left side of the deck which will return to the house. This was the orginal idea but than they decided it may look to much like a playpen and opted for the benches and planters. Now they are leaning back to the rails.
These rail systems are not cheap, the parts that are installed now cost $8,000. Plus two days labor from us for installation, which doesn't come cheaply either.
Thanks for looking.

Richard

Peter Stahl
08-18-2005, 4:20 PM
You do really nice work Richard!

Ray Bersch
08-18-2005, 5:15 PM
Richard, you continue to impress me not only with the quality of your work, but with your "can do" attitude - wish your were around here when I was building houses. Keep up the good work.

Ray