PDA

View Full Version : It Pays to Talk

Jim Koepke
07-10-2015, 7:00 PM
This came about from talking to the folks who work the counter in one of the Antique Malls I like to visit.

Dave and I were talking about some tools I was buying and I mentioned that woodworking tools are always something on my list.

He mentioned he had some molding planes and other tools. Lately I have been doing some work for a friend who is doing a lot of work on a house he bought. Having not heard from Dave I left a message for him that I was earning money and it was burning a hole in my pocket.

He got back to me and left a message with my wife. She almost forgot all about it. Fortunately we have caller ID and a list of the last bunch of calls. It was possible for me to figure which was his call and give him a call back. He informed me of a flea market where he was going to be selling things. After talking to him he said he would be able to bring some carving tools.

This is what was picked up from him today:

The carving chisels were about $12.50 each. Some are duplicates so they can go to any of the youngsters that come to work in my shop.

The two molding planes aren't anything great, but they were cheap.

Now that Dave knows I am willing to spend some money maybe he will get into his storage and dig out the molding planes.

The bevel gauge actually came from an estate sale we stopped at later today.

This lock was just too strange to not purchase:

The back is also ornate:

After getting to the flea market early we decided to have a bite to eat. While eating I read a classified newspaper called the Nickel. There was mention of an estate sale. That is where the bevel gauge was picked up for $1.50.

These two pulleys were also bought their for $12:

Not a bad day.

jtk

Mel Fulks
07-10-2015, 9:08 PM
The lock is really unusual. Niche market for pirate chests? Never seen anything like it.

David Ragan
07-11-2015, 6:30 AM
Nice stuff.

I been thinking about going to some flea markets. Never really been to any.

Do they all have hand tools?

Jim Koepke
07-11-2015, 9:11 AM
Do they all have hand tools?

Not really, but there often are some. This one ended up with a lot more tools because of being able to talk to Dave before he went. He decided to bring the carving chisels due to our phone conversation.

jtk

David M Anderson
07-11-2015, 10:59 AM
It sure does pay to talk, your lock looks to be made by National Hardware Company...very collectable.
http://www.wetreasures.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200202.htm

paul goldberg
07-11-2015, 3:23 PM
Are those carving tools Henry Taylor? Absolute steal at 12.50 each.

Jim Koepke
07-11-2015, 7:10 PM
Howdy Paul and welcome to the Creek. What part of the world do you call home?

Are those carving tools Henry Taylor? Absolute steal at 12.50 each.

Yes, all but three are Henry Taylor.

jtk

Jim Koepke
07-11-2015, 7:13 PM
It sure does pay to talk, your lock looks to be made by National Hardware Company...very collectable.
http://www.wetreasures.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200202.htm

Wow, if I can get half of what it says there, then everything was free.

jtk

Stew Denton
07-11-2015, 9:29 PM
Hi Jim,

Great job! The carving tools look great. I would not have bought the padlock, but it sounds like you did well on it to.

Stew

Chuck Hart
07-11-2015, 9:51 PM
So Jim since I don't live that far from you where was this flea market? Not poaching just curious.

Jim Koepke
07-12-2015, 12:01 AM
So Jim since I don't live that far from you where was this flea market? Not poaching just curious.

It was in Kalama at a former antique mall.

jtk

paul goldberg
07-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Howdy Paul and welcome to the Creek. What part of the world do you call home?

Yes, all but three are Henry Taylor.

jtk

Thanks for the welcome, I hail from the Great White North

I have some of the HT sculpture tools and they are excellent, I'm sure you will be happy with your find.

Chuck Hart
07-15-2015, 1:26 AM
Jim,

I should put a couple of problem planes in my car and come down and visit with you the next time my wife raids Powell's in Portland.

Chuck

Jim Koepke
07-15-2015, 2:07 AM
Jim,

I should put a couple of problem planes in my car and come down and visit with you the next time my wife raids Powell's in Portland.

Chuck

Just give me a heads up. Saturdays are not good during the farmers market, April through October.

jtk

Jim Koepke
07-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Now for the best part, Dave called last night and told me he went to his storage out toward the coast and gathered up a bunch of his molding planes. He also said he was going to be at a swap meet at Alan Schurman's Iron Ranch 23100 NE 10th Ave, Ridgefield, WA. It also is open tomorrow until about 2:00 for anyone in the area who may be interested.

Here is a map:

There were a lot of tables with planes, chisels and other tools. There were some Witherby chisels I almost feel bad about not buying for $3-$5. I really don't need the work of fixing them up and making handles.

While looking around for Dave's tables I ran across a few other items of interest:

The plane was marked $10 so I didn't even bother to look close. Any #3 with decent wood and all the parts with no cracks can't be a bad deal. The lever cap was removed and the plane was a bit dirty and dusty. Didn't notice until taking pictures that it is a type 11 with a SW blade. The little square was on the same table but marked $35. I mentioned to my grandson that I liked the square, but it was priced too high. The seller asked, "how about $15?" I responded, "how about $20 for both." He cried, "oh don't try to beat me down that much." So I handed him $25. The riffler rasps were $3 each.

Finally found Dave. he had four milk crates with old planes. I sat down on the ground and started looking through them. After I set aside a pile of about half dozen or so I asked him what he was thinking on these. He said, "how about $10 apiece." So I picked out a few I would have normally left behind and a couple of duplicates.

Noticed he had some side rabbet planes and asked him if he knew what they were. He thought they were for making V-grooves. I explained them to him and he was happy (even seemed a little excited) to know how they are used.

26 planes in all. Didn't notice until taking pictures that the one close to the lamp cord has Sears & Robuck Chicago lightly printed on the side.

Looks like I will be busy the next few weeks tuning planes.

Forgot to mention $5 for parking.

jtk

Stew Denton
07-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Wow Jim,

It looks like you did great! The woodies look like great priced items, and a type 11 #3 for $10....can't beat it. Were some of the molding planes ones you were especially looking for, or just ones that will be really nice to have?

Stew

Jim Koepke
07-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Wow Jim,

It looks like you did great! The woodies look like great priced items, and a type 11 #3 for $10....can't beat it. Were some of the molding planes ones you were especially looking for, or just ones that will be really nice to have?

Stew

Most of the hollows & rounds were ones being sought to fill the holes in my accumulation. The half round in the lower right corner of the picture looks kind of like a reverse snipe bill. It has a profile of a quarter round. I am interested in seeing what it can do.

Since the price was so good a few complex molding planes were picked out if the blades looked good. There were some side bead planes that were passed over since a Stanley #45 can do a side bead. There were a lot of rabbet planes that were also left behind.

In the upper right of the picture are a cove and round over plane that look like they might work for a rule joint. Not sure, but will find out once the blades are sharp.

At the price it was too easy to buy a few that may never be needed. I will try to put them all in order and figure out what to do then.

I think I will have to talk to Dave again and see if he can clue me in on the flea market circuit in the area.

jtk

Jim Koepke
08-23-2015, 4:50 PM
Since my last post on this I met up with Dave at the antique shop. He had 36" four fold Stanley SW for $12. I had to slap my hand to keep my hand away from my wallet. I already have enough of those, but it seemed like a good deal. He told me about a box of woodies I missed.

He also called me and told me about a "Threshing Bee" with a flea market.

I posted the information in the Neanderthal Announcements.

jtk