PDA

View Full Version : Dining Room Table Wood Selection

Robert Russellll
07-09-2015, 6:47 PM
I plan on building a dining room table similar to Pottery Barn's Benchwright design. Initially I planned on using Walnut but am now reconsidering based on the high price. As an alternative, I am considering Ash or Alder and applying a dark brown water based dye. This is my first project using hardwood and dye and I would appreciate any insight into whether one is superior to the other in turns of durability and if they will both take the dye evenly.

Thank you for your input.

Jim Becker
07-09-2015, 8:54 PM
If you want a similar "texture" to the walnut, you'll want the ash. The Alder is more close-grained. Try to acquire the best quality material you have, even if you have to save a little longer for what you really want. My occasional comment that "material selection is the first step of the finishing process" absolutely holds true. The few times I've compromised on material cemented that for me.

Jerry Thompson
07-09-2015, 9:20 PM
I am gathering 4/4 walnut now. I am doing it slowly. It is expensive but the bank account can handle a little missing here and there.

Robert Russellll
07-11-2015, 4:34 PM
Thank you for the input. I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and go for Walnut.

jack duren
07-11-2015, 7:56 PM
Thank you for the input. I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and go for Walnut.

I would and watch the grain;);)

Robert Chapman
07-11-2015, 9:06 PM
Good choice. Walnut is wonderful wood to work with.